Anyone ever tried to put P3P/A birdside antennas on a P3S?

Reaction score
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced ADV Drone - NEW Antenna Set (Part 3) | eBay

These were cheap, so I'm going to try it just for fun. I looked and looked and I can't find any info as to what the specs are on these, like gain, etc. I've also never seen one torn apart. I'm loving my DIY dipoles, but just wondering..... could it get even better?

Doesn't the p3A use Lightbridge though? So will these even pick up the standard remote signal?

Good idea though

Doesn't the p3A use Lightbridge though? So will these even pick up the standard remote signal?

Good idea though

I have no clue. They are rated at 2.4ghz though. I want to have one in hand and actually see what makes it tick. There's 4 of them, so one might get sacrificed so that I can see what's inside.

Reactions: dazzer and Dazzauk
I was just thinking of trying this out on my P3S as the internal antennas don't get anywhere what lightbridge gets and my internal antennas have had their connectors ripped off.

I just installed the p3p antennas on my p3s.
Did everything as instructed on here.
Hot glued/tacked down antennas on opposite legs.
I took out just now and video was no better. Went around same distance as before. I do have an itelite dbs as well. Only went1200-1500' in a regular flown area where I would get around the same.
I was hoping a little better. I do have amps on order for bother 2.4 & 5.8..
Any thoughts on what to look for/change?
Better cables?
Specific antenna placement/orientation?
Thanks in advance
Mike

Quote simply it won't work... Unless you have a P3A controller. The signal is different between light bridge, WiFi and DBS antenna. I could be wrong and hope someone chimes in with a more positive note [emoji4]

Quote simply it won't work... Unless you have a P3A controller. The signal is different between light bridge, WiFi and DBS antenna. I could be wrong and hope someone chimes in with a more positive note [emoji4]

There are many that have this and are getting great results.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I don't think it's so important to relate the signal type with the antenna type. What's important is the signal that leaves the controller. Is it vertical linear polarity? That would be the stock antenna and many other antennas that are typically chosen to be modded onto the controller (ITELITE, Argtek, etc). So therefore you'd want a vertical linear polarity antenna on the bird side to match the control side, such as the one DJI already has on there. Obviously, you'd like the best one you can find. You need two for the 5.8 ghz signal and two for the 2.4 ghz signal.

So you have a p3S and you want to upgrade the stock antenna. You want to replace the stock antennas with the best possible antenna you can find.

I would not hesitate to replace the 2.4 ghz antennas with that from a P3A/P. I've heard and read that the results are very good. One of the long distance guys flew 19.4 miles linear distance with a stock P3P antenna on his P3P.

I would not replace the 5.8 ghz antennas with a P3A/P antenna because those antennas are not designed for 5.8 ghz. I would find another antenna or just leave it alone.

You might consider a P4 series birdside antenna, since those antennas are designed to deal with 5.8 ghz. You will need to research this.

I don't have a P3S, but on my P2 series ACs, I've used this: 5.8GHz Dipole kit for P2V+ Itelite panel - FPVLR

and I've even used this: http://www.thanksbuyer.com/image/cache/data/201407/30670/1406340566-1-750x750.jpg

with very nice results - over three miles distance with trees severely blocking the signal (e.g. stock distance was rated only 500 meters on the P2V).

A few of the long distance guys are known to prefer circular polarity for the 5.8. If you want to do that, you probably want to also convert the controller antenna to a nice long 5.8 ghz CP antenna such as the super cannon.

Your flying environment will influence your decision on what polarity will be best to use.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso and Neon Euc
Thanks so much!
Yes, bottom line is I want more range on both distance and fpv.
I just received my 2.4 booster amp and battery.
Going to install tonight and test in AM if westher lets me.
I have a 5.8 amp coming as well and will connect on Rc but leave the 5.8s alone on ac. I'm going to order some of the better blue cables as well. Hopefully I will see results like others have. I realize I am in a huge wifi congested area but with only a best of 1/2 mile over water, I'm hoping to double that.
Will post results!
Mike

Just installed amp and batt to controller but of course the battery output is a different connector than the amp. Hope I can buy just a plug adapter or will have to splice new end on.
Question I have is if I have amps on my controller and let's say battery dies for those amps. Can you still use without power? Would it function the same as before I installed amps. Not boosted.

Thanks
Mike

I think it's best to buy a battery at the same time as the amp so you know the jack will fit. For example, this sunhans amp
jack input 100% Sunhans 2000mW 5.8GHz WiFi Signal Booster WiFi Amplifier Wireless Repeater | eBay will match this battery jack 12V DUAL LEAD BATTERY 3000MAH WITH CHARGER FREE 2-3 DAY SHIPPING

Re a discharged battery, without power, the RF won't go through the amps. This means the cable that leads to the amps will serve as the antenna - and not a very good one. But it's not a big problem, just be sure to charge the amp batteries every flight or two. Good luck.

I think it's best to buy a battery at the same time as the amp so you know the jack will fit. For example, this sunhans amp
jack input 100% Sunhans 2000mW 5.8GHz WiFi Signal Booster WiFi Amplifier Wireless Repeater | eBay will match this battery jack 12V DUAL LEAD BATTERY 3000MAH WITH CHARGER FREE 2-3 DAY SHIPPING

Re a discharged battery, without power, the RF won't go through the amps. This means the cable that leads to the amps will serve as the antenna - and not a very good one. But it's not a big problem, just be sure to charge the amp batteries every flight or two. Good luck.

I have both 2.4 and 5.8 amps. What are the blue sometimes blind king lights? Should they be solid or blinking? Is this signal strength?

Also what is the order to turn on the amps and controller and what happens if wrong or left on?
I've been turning on battery for amps-then controller- then bird. Reversed to turn off.
Hope this has been right.
What happens if I did controller 1st and then amps or mistakenly had amps on with other guys else on?

Thanks

Mike

One more question?
How long do the Batts on these amps let off a full charge? It's 6800mah.
I took it out for 2 almost full flights and then had a disconnecton. I then thought maybe the amp battery was low. Cautiously flew another batt and seemed OK. So about 3 full batteries is what I got. Just want to know if I need a bigger batt or an extra so I don't end a fly day early.
Thanks
Mike

I have both 2.4 and 5.8 amps. What are the blue sometimes blind king lights? Should they be solid or blinking? Is this signal strength?

Also what is the order to turn on the amps and controller and what happens if wrong or left on?
I've been turning on battery for amps-then controller- then bird. Reversed to turn off.
Hope this has been right.
What happens if I did controller 1st and then amps or mistakenly had amps on with other guys else on?

Thanks

Mike
Re order, it doesn't seem to matter what order, there have been no reports of problems or damage over the years. Just try to turn everything on as quick as possible. The sunhans amps are excellent quality, I've never had one burn out or wear out...

I could be reading this wrong but I have those antennas installed on my P3S and get great video up to 2 miles out using the DBS. Glitchy, but solid picture.

Hard to get a picture of but you can see one antenna in the background of the first picture.
b1c636eeae39c8e9fec9742eed03e808.jpg
4c0c222b0078d1cb325c52dc971c8631.jpg

They work.

So if this is witch way on the legs what way inside of the bird would thay go please

IMG_2958.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl