Love My P3S! First intro to GPS flight.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to these forums and to flying my P3S. I got my P3S on a boxing day sale this past December but due to time and weather, I haven't had much time to fly it. So far I have done 3 flights in the last couple of weeks and love how stable it is. Can't get over how I can just take my hands off of the sticks and it will just hover there. I love photography (a hobbyist, not a professional) and wanted to see if taking photos from a drone was for me, so I purchased my first quad a Syma X8HG last August but it developed a motor shut-down issue mid flight after a few flights and was returned to Amazon for a refund. I then purchased an X8G (without altitude hold and no GPS) and it has been rock solid. I even attached a cheap gimbal to it and an action camera to it and have got some nice autumn shots from this setup but it is hard to control in even a light wind and even harder to land because it is not designed to carry a camera and gimbal. So when I began flying my new P3S I found it so amazing. I have even made a few panoramic shots with it and am truly amazed at how stable it is - who could of ever imagined being able to shoot a panoramic from high in the air.

I haven't flown my Phantom too high or very far because I need to get more of a feel how it responds in different conditions (more wind etc) and also want to be careful as we have new strict regulations here in Canada which I need to respect if I want to continue to enjoy my Phantom for months and years to come.

Lots of great info on this forum/site, so thanks for this great resource.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: gnarlyvarúlfr
Sorry, I should have posted this in the introductions. Didn't realize that until after I hit post.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Just realized I put P3P in my original post. Should be P3S. I have a standard. I went back and edited so that it is correct.

One of those days. Thank goodness I'm not flying my drone today - pouring rain all day.

Chris

Last edited:
welcome to the forum ! im relatively new to drones ( january 2017) and also am amazed at how easy it is to fly my p3s.
hope they can relax the new laws here a bit tho. i find it over the top that our government is about to legalize "left handed" cigarettes, and has pretty much criminalized drones.

I ordered my P3S and it will be here Thursday I'm excited I got a camera drone for Christmas and I wanted a more stable video and pictures

I ordered my P3S and it will be here Thursday I'm excited I got a camera drone for Christmas and I wanted a more stable video and pictures

Congratulations on your purchase. Even though my P3S is the base model phantom, it is everything I need and want in a flying camera at this time. I don't think you will be disappointed in your purchase.

What kind of camera drone did you have before? I started with a Syma X8G which I still have and fly for fun. It was a great starter drone because it was the same size and design of the Phantom. With the stock camera I could take (unstabilized) photos and video. It was a great platform to try out and practice on.

Chris

It's a DX4 sharper image it's fun to fly but any little wind and I'm chasing it. I fly helicopters to I can't wait till my drone gets here did you have to do any updates before you flew for the first time

It's a DX4 sharper image it's fun to fly but any little wind and I'm chasing it. I fly helicopters to I can't wait till my drone gets here did you have to do any updates before you flew for the first time

Yes, I had to do a firmware update. The update went fine. The only minor problem I had was that my remote was no longer bound to my phantom after the update and that got me a little stressed out, but found the instructions in the manual, followed them and was able to re-bind the remote.

Ok cool is the update done on a computer or does the drone do itself

Downloaded it into the DJI Go app on my phone and followed directions from there. Pretty sure I didn't have to use my laptop.

Congrats,
No you can launch the Go app without the drone on and explore, but if you make any setting chsnges for the drone you will need it on. Not sure if you can make changes then later turn on phantom and they will be applied. Haven't flown mine enough yet to see if changes wouldbe applied.

Welcome! I am a Prairie Dog from SK. Have two P3S. Love them.

Thanks for all the welcomes from you and others!

Planning a family road trip out west in the summer. Pulling our trailer and will be staying at National Parks and some hotels. Planning on bringing my Phantom to take some aerial photos but am a little worried about all the new regulations (restrictions).

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj