Any harassment in the airport while carrying DJI Phantom?

Reaction score
Is there anyone from India here, who travels outside India frequently with his DJI equipments ?

If yes, do the customs stop you asking you to verify your used equipments also and do they stop you ?
Have they ever asked you for penalty or confiscated your DJI goods ?

And when asked, what paper do you show them ?

If they ever tried to confiscate my copter I'd first talk to a TSA supervisor if that didn't work then I'll have to catch another flight because my friend would be picking it up. I'm not allowing anyone to take my property especially if I didn't break any laws.

Okay they have confiscated my 1400$ Mavic Pro whole box and denied to give it.
Asked me to forget the money spent and the drone forever.

Okay they have confiscated my 1400$ Mavic Pro whole box and denied to give it.
Asked me to forget the money spent and the drone forever.

Did they say what "law" you were breaking?... and to be clear you were in India, at the airport when this happened?

They said, its a banned item in india, so you cannot take inside india.

And when I asked can I take it back when Im flying back, they said, no, we will keep it, you forget about it.

Did they say what "law" you were breaking?... and to be clear you were in India, at the airport when this happened?
The laws don't matter...you're thinking of the US. I been taking high-tech photographic and electronic gear into Haiti for 20 years. I've paid thousands of dollars in bribes over that period to keep various customs officials from confiscating gear, throwing me in jail, etc etc

Reactions: BoydBros
If they ever tried to confiscate my copter I'd first talk to a TSA supervisor if that didn't work then I'll have to catch another flight because my friend would be picking it up. I'm not allowing anyone to take my property especially if I didn't break any laws.
You might be a little fuzzy on how it works in the third world. It doesn't matter what the law is, it's the time and the hassle they can impose on you and how much you're willing to pay to stay out of that jackpot.They have you over a barrel. And calling for a TSA supervisor won't help you much, it being India and all.....

Last edited:
So everywhere is same ?
Too corrupt officers are always in the customs ?
No, I'm sure that most customs officials in most countries are honest. I just don't know how to figure which ones. What I do know is that when I travel to or from third world countries, I do expect to get hassled by customs and I'm very careful about the gear I take.

I have gone to many countries, I have never found anyone rude even.
India is worst, sadly Im an Indian.

True, well...I would hope that's the case but from what I've experienced in some tropical islands, they aren't sad to say.

They have you over.a barrel and they're going to often try to make some money off of you, either by bribe or by keeping your gear and selling it. In some countries, usually smaller ones with a relatively poor standard of living, bribes are just a part of the culture. I agree, caribbean and south-sea islands are pretty notorious. Mexico and South America likewise. Much of Asia. Don't try it in north America, Europe, or Scandinavia. I"ve never been to Africa, but I'm told that the greater the degree of poverty, the more you should budget for bribes.

They have you over.a barrel and they're going to often try to make some money off of you, either by bribe or by keeping your gear and selling it.

Honestly I think they do that here in the states. Whatever they confiscate at the airports, they sell it. Well depending on the condition. Also, I read a story in The NY Times that they, TSA had nearly I think a million dollars in coins from passengers left behind in plastic bins. Lol.

WillZX14R
Phantom P4 Pilot

Last edited:
Honestly I think they do that here on the states. Whatever they confiscate at the airports, they sell it. Well depending on the condition. Also, I read a story in The NY Times that they, TSA had nearly I think a million dollars in coins from passengers left behind in plastic bins. Lol.

Items that are dropped in the prohibited items bin become government property. Those bins are picked up periodically, depending on size of the airport, and become the responsibility of the GSA. Most, if not all of it is thrown away. Sometimes items get donated. The government doesn't keep it and doesn't sell it. None of that surrendered stuff benefits any one TSA agent and they'd get fired if one of them got caught pocketing something.

Next time you go through a security line at a US airport, try offering a TSA agent a few buck to let you take your favorite scissors in your carry-on. You'll quickly see the difference between third-world and North American/European/Scandinavian customs officials.

Now that my mavic pro is already with them, marked as restricted items bin, can I pay them now and bring it ?

Now that my mavic pro is already with them, marked as restricted items bin, can I pay them now and bring it ?

Wow Mavic P gone just like that...I'd be pissed !!! :mad: I have a question for anyone familiar with insurance drone/quadcopter policies, would one be able to be reimbursed by the insurance company if it's confiscated?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic