Another issue...

Reaction score
Hey all, so now my phantom pulls to the right in GPS mode. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? I've tried recalibrating (basic and advanced), and the compass dance to no avail. I am not sure what is going on with my phantom anymore.

Mine will go straight all day long. It just won't hold still. :(

Did you change anything near the top of the hood, the GPS area?
I did and wish I had not.

Not at all. I'm really getting frustrated at this point. Nothing wants to work correctly.

Try your original props just to eliminate the props as being the issue. One of mine was broken at the tip and made my quad drift to the left. After I replaced it, all was good. Just a suggestion, but it worked for me.

I would suggest you open up the quad and check the connections. I usually start looking at the last thing I did before I had problems.

I changed my landing gear and the compass is still on right rear leg but it is back a little further and angled slightly different. Now phantom wanders all over the place in gps mode only. I thought once I did the compass dance it would be fine but I guess the compass has to be angled the same as from factory. Anyone have any knowledge on this subjuect?

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

Try your original props just to eliminate the props as being the issue. One of mine was broken at the tip and made my quad drift to the left. After I replaced it, all was good. Just a suggestion, but it worked for me.

I would suggest you open up the quad and check the connections. I usually start looking at the last thing I did before I had problems.

The thing is, it doesn't do it in Atti mode.

I have it open now, I'm going to take a good look at everything.

I changed my landing gear and the compass is still on right rear leg but it is back a little further and angled slightly different. Now phantom wanders all over the place in gps mode only. I thought once I did the compass dance it would be fine but I guess the compass has to be angled the same as from factory. Anyone have any knowledge on this subjuect?

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

I'm wondering if that's the case for me too.

I'll let u know if I fix it/ when I fix it

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

I angled the compass so it's parallel to the naza controller again and it flies better than ever now. With the landing gear like this it takes off straight up and seems to be even more stable in air too. I couldn't be happier.
Big thanks goes out too member IIVII who answered my question about it and was the pioneer of this mod in the first place.

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Good to know I've never changed to the longer landing gear, but I'll definitely keep this in mind to angle the compass to be parallel to the NAZA.

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Yep, I do. Check the screwdriver you used to move the compass. Any, ANY magnetism will make the compass react in a negative way. The voice of experience speaking those words. :(
A compass is not typically affected by vertical/horizontal alignment, unless the needle is tossed off the pivot point. I don't think we need to concern ourselves with that though.

If I am wrong, it won't be the first, nor the last time. Don't know about you folks, but I wish CityZen would stop by and just tell us what's wrong. ;)

I checked the mod data and all was in spec, I have a good non magnetic screwdriver set for this purpose. If the compass is not in parrellel with the naza controller it will not function properly. I have verified this with another member who did the same thing with his landing gear. Thanks for the heads up tho

I checked the mod data and all was in spec, I have a good non magnetic screwdriver set for this purpose. If the compass is not in parrellel with the naza controller it will not function properly. I have verified this with another member who did the same thing with his landing gear. Thanks for the heads up tho

You're welcome, let us know how you shim it to get it right. Maybe you could share which extended landing gear you are using and at what location you have the compass mounted.

That might save the next person some valuable time. :)

I just used the standard wide and high landing gear from eBay for $6. I chopped the bottom off and drilled new mounting holes so the landing gear has a wider stance all around and is lighter and has less drag because they are under the phantoms arms

Here's a pic of compass and the landing gear
a00a2a322f74d4efc7622172246284f6.jpg

0b84cca05b49ba2c4b922ffcba647aa6.jpg

b0dd9c11e59b028ff1a07768e531423c.jpg

Here's my camera gimbal for tilt and roll with just standard servos from naza. It compensates for movement good but with wind, and harsh shaking it doesn't do well at all, sometimes it even makes it worse cause the servos can't keep up with the back and forth movement like with vrs. It doesn't effect battery life like a brushless gimbal would tho, I only lose a minute or two at most with it unless loading it with a bigger camera like a go pro or something. All in all I am happy with it for only $20 including the servos

Hey, just curious about what you changed near the top gps area. I was wondering if you were talking about the foil gps insulation mod/fix or something else. I was thinking about doing that to mine but will not if u had problems with it

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Hey, just curious about what you changed near the top gps area. I was wondering if you were talking about the foil gps insulation mod/fix or something else. I was thinking about doing that to mine but will not if u had problems with it

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

I guess I'm setting an example of what NOT to do these days. I tried the aluminum foil... :(
I switched landing gear, back to stock because it's lighter and screwed up the compass with a screwdriver. :( Just saw where IIVII said I was wrong about compass alignment. :(
Thankfully he posted a link showing Colin Guinn fixing what I unfixed. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was surprised to see Colin use such a strong magnet, and even touch the compass.
It only makes sense to hook up to NAZA while trying to fix the compass.

Thanks for posting the pics.
I'm liking the taller/wider landing gear that's been cut off... may try that myself.
Any chance of a close up of the newly drilled holes, maybe even some idiot-proof instructions... :confused:

I'm waiting on the GPS booster from the other side of the pond.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aaa9004c7

That's a pretty cool gimbal you've built with servos. What does it weigh?

Me and my big mouth... now mine won't go straight either.

Did the "Compass Reset" and got X, Y, Z, and MOD numbers all within limits.
Did basic and advanced IMU calibration and got a "Green Checkmark".
Did the Compass Dance and it hooks left.
When moving laterally, it makes a big arc.

Anyone find a new solution yet? :confused:

The landing gear is a lot weaker when the bottom is chopped off. I just broke mine already on a hard landing from trying out some carbon props that were junk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic