Another Dead Battery

There are some things DJI recommends that I disregard as wrong. This is one of them. If you recall, the P3A had a 55W charger. That whole "don't charge both at once" started with that charger, yet they said thing with the P3P 100W charger, and it's the same flight battery. Go figure. DJI's communications has never been their strong point on technical matters, and their online chat and phone support for technical matters is atrocious, often being totally wrong, and often ignorant about their own products. I think they put novices on the phones and chat, employees that I think have never even flow their craft before.

Charging both RC and flight batteries with the DJI 100W charger works, always has. This convenience is good to know that there's no harm in it. You guys can do whatever you want.

Exactly. To each their own. I'll follow The manufactures suggestions on this one (its a no brainer) as I have never had a dinner that lasted more than an hour, lol. People who understand how a charger works, understand this recommendation from the manufacture. I find nothing atrocious or ignorant about it.

You can't sit there however and say it has always worked. This thread was started over a bad charger that was used to charge 2 at the same time.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You can't sit there however and say it has always worked. This thread was started over a bad charger that was used to charge 2 at the same time.
In the 2.5yrs I've been reading this forum, that one guy is the ONLY person ever reporting a failed charger that I recall, regardless if he was dual or single charging. It's likely he just a bad charger that would have blown regardless, IMO. For me it's always worked just fine. I typically charge my RC when it get down to 2 LED's, about half discharged, so the feared "extra stress" is nominal, and I'm more than confident it will continue to work just fine.

This would be a good study if I had the right connectors to insert an ammeter and measure current a voltage to calculate watts going into a flight battery and RC in both scenarios, singular and dual charge. Maybe someday I'll do that but I'll need the connectors for the patch cables.

Last edited:
Charging both RC and flight batteries with the DJI 100W charger works, always has. This convenience is good to know that there's no harm in it. You guys can do whatever you want.
"Works" and concluding therefore that you know there is no harm in it is a quantum leap. It's not recommended by DJI, so DJI knows there is some potential for harm. It's stressing their charger unnecessarily. There is no harm whatsoever in following their recommendation not to do so. It's only a minor inconvenience to remember to put the RC on, only if necessary, after charging up the battery.:cool:

I have charged both at the same time for 2.5yr now, never had an issue on my P3P, P4, P4P and Mavic. Your brother had a defective charger, which is rare, but it can happen. Even the 90W DJI car charger can support charging both at the same time, but it's rare that you'd need to do that.

May be, but I will not take a risk. At the DJI support page I saw:

10. Can I charge the Intelligent Flight Battery and remote controller with the charger at the same time?

The DJI charger can charge the Intelligent Flight Battery and remote controller. But it is not recommended to charge the Intelligent Flight Battery and remote controller at the same time.

This is funny recurrent topic.

This charger can do both at the same time.

It is not recommended for the following - not explained - reasons: variety of usage and user conditions. Legacy problems with predecessors more as myth today.

Background being it is not ideal to overheat internal electronics for a long time. But again this P4 charger is very robust and reliable. Notice there is NO VENTS in the charger which tells he can deal without, but mostly security thing same as with laptops.

Two scenarios examples:

Charger exposed to sun and charging both rc and ac fully depleted batteries: hot environment and long lasting charge. The charger will heat quite a lot.

Charger not exposed to sun, cold environment, ac battery at 60%, rc battery at 80%. Do you think the charger will heat a lot?

Now you know this you can better appreciate impact if you plug both at the same time. No fear, you would find threads here if issues with P4 chargers. No worries.

DJI is simply being conservative to lower their exposure. They have never taken the time to prove charging both at the same time is a problem, otherwise they would printed that on the charger, not hidden the the website FAQs as a recommendation. The fact it's a recommendation is evident DJI hasn't actually tested it with a conclusion to safety, and they aren't concerned enough to spend any time on this.
Can you find this in the manual, saying don't do it? If not, then it's not important.
DJI isn't worried about this, as they get very few returns on power supplies, however it costs them nothing to "recommend" against it and inconvenience everyone.

"Recommend" against? It's recommended to cross streets at a cross walk. Do we always do that? No, we each make our own judgement and decide. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You have to decide what you want to do with with DJIs FAQs recommendation, based on no testing and conclusion from DJI.

Last edited:
DJI is simply being conservative to lower their exposure. They have never proven that changing both at the same time is a problem, otherwise they would print that on the charger, not hidden the the website FAQs as a recommendation. DJI isn't worried about it, as they get very few returns on power supplies, but it costs them nothing to "recommend" against it and inconvenience everyone, as small as it is. "Recommend" against? It's recommended to cross streets at a the cross walk. Do we always do that?

Because they are too busy processing faulty battery returns. LOL

DJI is simply being conservative to lower their exposure. They have never proven that changing both at the same time is a problem, otherwise they would print that on the charger, not hidden the the website FAQs as a recommendation. DJI isn't worried about it, as they get very few returns on power supplies, but it costs them nothing to "recommend" against it and inconvenience everyone, as small as it is. "Recommend" against? It's recommended to cross streets at a cross walk. Do we always do that?
Yes as a matter of fact, I do use a crosswalk. First and foremost I’m protected in court if someone runs me over while in the crosswalk. Second, I don’t want to get a ticket for being lazy. Third, I like to promote good, like putting my shopping cart where it goes after I use it.

What a stupid analogy.

There is no harm whatsoever in following their recommendation not to do so.
True, and there's no harm to the convenience of charging both together. If there was a risk they'd print it on the charger with a clear warning if it was a problem. We all know they would do that, AND they would put it in the manual. It's such a non issue, they didn't even think about it, but they got so many questions about it, because they didn't think about testing it, that the "marketing dept" answered this question with a "safe answer", with absolutely no testing. Had they actually tested it they would have been able to answer this simple YES or NO question with a clear YES, or NO answer.

This below is the kind of warning DJI gives when there's a problem, and there has been testing to prove it's a problem to charge two things at once. Compare that to DJI's "recommendation" hidden in the FAQs, and not in the manual.

This came out of the Crystalsky manual, talking about charging the Crystalsky battery.

upload_2017-12-26_22-17-39.png

Last edited:
Seems like we’re at a point in this conversation where it’s best to agree to disagree. No one is going to win a battle of keyboards.

Not to mention charger cable is a Y designed to plug both rc and ac at same time. On my views, such configuration free of any required change in wiring depending usage does implicitely suggest that both can be connected.

Not to mention charger cable is a Y designed to plug both rc and ac at same time. On my views, such configuration free of any required change in wiring depending usage does implicitely suggest that both can be connected.
This is explained in post #49.

Back to the topic at hand, dead on arrival batteries do seem to be a real issue. I just picked one up from Best Buy. Brand new P4P battery, out of the box, no lights, no response. Let is charge for 30 min or so and nothing. While I should know better, I put in into the drone just to see if I would get a response, drone powered up with a battery failure or non-DJI battery error.

Returned it as a defective.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Back to the topic at hand, dead on arrival batteries do seem to be a real issue. I just picked one up from Best Buy. Brand new P4P battery, out of the box, no lights, no response. Let is charge for 30 min or so and nothing. While I should know better, I put in into the drone just to see if I would get a response, drone powered up with a battery failure or non-DJI battery error.

Returned it as a defective.

The DOA battery is rampant. I have been researching it ever since mine arrived that way. It’s a SERIOUS problem for them. I finally got my shipping label from B&H on the new one being sent...All in all it looks like its going to be a 10 day turnaround...ugh

True, and there's no harm to the convenience of charging both together. If there was a risk they'd print it on the charger with a clear warning if it was a problem. We all know they would do that, AND they would put it in the manual. It's such a non issue, they didn't even think about it, but they got so many questions about it, because they didn't think about testing it, that the "marketing dept" answered this question with a "safe answer", with absolutely no testing. Had they actually tested it they would have been able to answer this simple YES or NO question with a clear YES, or NO answer.
You are making a ton of assumptions in assuming there is no problem, supported by your having done it yourself, and no other facts to support it. That's like saying driving drunk is safe because you do it all the time, and they really didn't mean it when they said don't drink and drive, because you do it all the time. DJI has stated it isn't recommended. You do so at your own risk, and I cannot see why it is even necessary, other than you find it convenient. :cool:

You are making a ton of assumptions in assuming there is no problem
Actually it's based mostly on the evidence is see, and my experience with power supplies, along with CE and UL compliance requirements.
1. It's not in the manual anymore. It used to be in the P3A manual which came with a 55W charger, likely because it may have been an issue that they tested. It could have been using a older power supply standard, which changed in the US in Feb 2016.
2. It has worked for me for 2.5yrs with their 100W chargers, and the charger doesn't even get hot, about half the heat my laptop charger exhibits with a depleted battery.
3. DJI doesn't answer the FAQs "dual charge" question with a YES or NO answer. Why not? I presume they have practically no returns on chargers, so they didn't bother to test it. It's easier, quicker and cheaper to "recommend something" that's conservative rather than actually testing it.
4. LiPo chargers only put out maximum current during the first 10min to 15min of the charge cycle on a fully depleted battery. After that the current and heat from the charger continues to decrease gradually. Chargers will only put out what they are rated at. Working 100% for 10 to 15min is nothing compared to other applications that require more for hours.
5. The CE and UL compliance testing DJI must have done by an independent lab is very strict. If there was any problem using both outputs at the same time for their intended purpose, from a safety point of view, or a reliability point of view, the compliance lab would require the charger to clearly state to use Output 1 OR Output 2, and not both simultaneous. But there is no such warning on the power supply. There's no way compliance labs would let that go through if both couldn't be safely used for the intended DJI application. If there was a problem using both simultaneous, CE/UL compliance would mandate such a safety risk to be not only printed on the charger, but also in the manual to prevent dual use (similar to my post #70 shows). I work with compliance labs on stuff like this and they are very particular. They test things in every possible way you can imagine. They are very conservative to protect their reputation and liability. I'm 100% sure these chargers even have short protection to prevent fire or melt down if the either output were to short. It's very likely they also have heat sensors that shut down the charger if overheated, which is why there's no heat rating on the charger itself, because it's not needed. The charger simply shuts down if it overheats, just like a PC that throttles itself down if it overheats.

We all know DJI communications is lacking, no arguing that, right? This is just another example. It makes for good debate trying to guess the truth that DJI doesn't bother to reveal.

You guys can go ahead and follow DJI's FAQs recommendation to charge them separately, and the FAA's recommendation to fly VLOS. I'm OK with that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Actually it's based mostly on the evidence is see, and my experience with power supplies, along with CE and UL compliance requirements.
1. It's not in the manual anymore. It used to be in the P3A manual which came with a 55W charger, likely because it may have been an issue that they tested. It could have been using a older power supply standard, which changed in the US in Feb 2016.
2. It has worked for me for 2.5yrs with their 100W chargers, and the charger doesn't even get hot, about half the heat my laptop charger exhibits with a depleted battery.
3. DJI doesn't answer the FAQs "dual charge" question with a YES or NO answer. Why not? I presume they have practically no returns on chargers, so they didn't bother to test it. It's easier, quicker and cheaper to "recommend something" that's conservative rather than actually testing it.
4. LiPo chargers only put out maximum current during the first 10min to 15min of the charge cycle on a fully depleted battery. After that the current and heat from the charger continues to decrease gradually. Chargers will only put out what they are rated at. Working 100% for 10 to 15min is nothing compared to other applications that require more for hours.
5. The CE and UL compliance testing DJI must have done by an independent lab is very strict. If there was any problem using both outputs at the same time for their intended purpose, from a safety point of view, or a reliability point of view, the compliance lab would require the charger to clearly state to use Output 1 OR Output 2, and not both simultaneous. But there is no such warning on the power supply. There's no way compliance labs would let that go through if both couldn't be safely used for the intended DJI application. If there was a problem using both simultaneous, CE/UL compliance would mandate such a safety risk to be not only printed on the charger, but also in the manual to prevent dual use (similar to my post #70 shows). I work with compliance labs on stuff like this and they are very particular. They test things in every possible way you can imagine. They are very conservative to protect their reputation and liability. I'm 100% sure these chargers even have short protection to prevent fire or melt down if the either output were to short. It's very likely they also have heat sensors that shut down the charger if overheated, which is why there's no heat rating on the charger itself, because it's not needed. The charger simply shuts down if it overheats, just like a PC that throttles itself down if it overheats.

We all know DJI communications is lacking, no arguing that, right? This is just another example. It makes for good debate trying to guess the truth that DJI doesn't bother to reveal.

You guys can go ahead and follow DJI's FAQs recommendation to charge them separately, and the FAA's recommendation to fly VLOS. I'm OK with that. :rolleyes:
It's an entirely moot point. Anyone who owns a P4 and a P4P already has at least two 100W chargers, and either a hub or a $40 multi-charger. I have all of the above. You will never ever need to simultaneously charge both the RC and a battery off the same charger. :cool:

It's an entirely moot point. Anyone who owns a P4 and a P4P already has at least two 100W chargers, and either a hub or a $40 multi-charger. I have all of the above. You will never ever need to simultaneously charge both the RC and a battery off the same charger. :cool:
You say you own a 3 charger hub? You don't need that either, but it sure is convenient, isn't it?

I prefer to travel as light as possible when on my various trips by plane. Carrying two chargers in my backpack is out of the question, and unnecessary. I charge both together for convenience when needed, not because I need to. Not taking advantage of Output 1 and 2 would be a waste of my time to monitor progress. Similar reason to having the hub, I don't need to remember to check the batteries all the time, it's hassle free charging while I do other things.

You say you own a 3 charger hub? You don't need that either, but it sure is convenient, isn't it?

I prefer to travel as light as possible when on my various trips by plane. Carrying two chargers in my backpack is out of the question, and unnecessary. I charge both together for convenience when needed, not because I need to. Not taking advantage of Output 1 and 2 would be a waste of my time to monitor progress. Similar reason to having the hub, I don't need to remember to check the batteries all the time, it's hassle free charging while I do other things.
Actually, the hub is a PIA. It does not keep the batteries plugged into it topped off. Leaving the batteries plugged into it has no benefit after they are charged, as they are considered disconnected, and will actually start discharging after the specified days selected for them, while still plugged into the hub! If you are traveling, I would rather have two chargers to charge simultaneously, rather than serially, for all my many batteries and my remote. You still have to go back to it for any second battery charging with a single charger, so why not take half as long? The $40 aftermarket multicharger is actually far better suited for your needs. You can simultaneously charge 3 batteries and a remote in the roughtly the same space as a single DJI charger. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94