Another Dead Battery

Reaction score
You'd think that DJI would have solved their battery problems by now. I just received a new P4 Pro purchased through Amazon and when I plugged in the remote and the drone battery (to the charger) after 2 hours I've got one blinking light on both....had a wonderful 1 hour "chat" with DJI and they want to replace the entire unit. So I just wasted 4+ hours on a problem DJI has had for ?????? years? Maybe all the horror stories about DJI and the battery issues are true? I certainly hope not, but I'm not impressed at all.

Have you read the manual? Are you sure it's advised to plug both the intelligent battery and the remote into the charger at the same time?

When charging the controller, be sure the charger plug is fully inserted into the charger.

Good luck

Have you read the manual?

Good luck

I did read the manual and didn't find any verbiage about not charging both the battery and remote at the same time. I have found a substantial number of comments on various sites referring to battery issues dating back at least a year. When I researched this particular drone I did read some comments about battery problems, but I assumed they were incidental and unfortunately, assumed they would have remedied the problem by now.

Not sure what is going on, but that does not sound normal. I had a battery that seemed to not charge, it turned out that the #1 LED was not working, (NEW). But, after a while, it did begin to blink and charged up, now it works fine, no problems except the LED is dead.

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
Not sure what is going on, but that does not sound normal.

I agree. But it's not just the battery it's also the remote control. I spent way too much time "chatting" with support getting nowhere. Mark suggested charging the two separately which I did try but with the same result, one blinking white light on the remote and one blinking green light on the battery. Don't honestly know what the issue is but trying to get DJI support to make any commitment on what to do was virtually impossible...their answer send it back for a replacement.....I'm thinking and if I have the same problem? When you spend $1,500 it should work 1st time, every time. I decided to just return it for a full refund. I honestly don't have the time to trouble shoot problems right out of the box. I'll revisit DJI at some point in the future, but this experience isn't inspiring.....

Before you give up, I have to ask, is there a chance your wall socket doesn't work? Have you tried another socket?

Is there a fuse in your charger plug?

Also, could it be the charger's cable? Can you source another cable to see if that charges it?

They might sound obvious but it's just part of the troubleshooting process.

Also, while it may not be written down not to charge both the battery and RC at the same, I have heard that recommendation from other posters here. From your posts it's not clear if you tried charging them separately.

It's very unusual for both the battery and the RC to be both 'broken', as it were, as part of the same package.
I'm just more inclined to think it's cable related.

It's very unusual for both the battery and the RC to be both 'broken'
Yes it is unusual. I did try charging individually once it was questioned (by Mark) and I had the same result. No it had nothing to do with plugs or cables everything was properly connected. Perhaps I'm an unfortunate buyer????? DJI and the P4 Pro might be the best drone hands down.....I just never had the opportunity to find out, the drone is on a FedEx truck back to the vendor for a refund. If I were DJI I'd make absolutely certain every drone was QC'ed to never fail. It's just my opinion that nothing out of the box should be D.O.A.....that leaves a bad first impression.

Yes it is unusual. I did try charging individually once it was questioned (by Mark) and I had the same result. No it had nothing to do with plugs or cables everything was properly connected. Perhaps I'm an unfortunate buyer????? DJI and the P4 Pro might be the best drone hands down.....I just never had the opportunity to find out, the drone is on a FedEx truck back to the vendor for a refund. If I were DJI I'd make absolutely certain every drone was QC'ed to never fail. It's just my opinion that nothing out of the box should be D.O.A.....that leaves a bad first impression.

Ok, shame.

Yeah, it would give a bad impression alright.

If the remote and the battery are failing to charge I would be suspecting an issue with the charger- it’s a lot more likely than the chance of two faulty units.

Yeah, I'd have thought so. It's a shame he's already sent it back.

I'd have tried a new charger cable first, sent out by DJI or the seller.

OP, when you get your money back, if you're willing to take the chance again, I'd recommend you buying another unit.

This whole drone thing is not plug and play quite yet. Some day it will be. But in the meantime, you have to be willing to tinker somewhat. If you don't want to do that, you probably don't want to mess around with drones at this early stage.

Mine is fine now but it is really frustrating to get your brand new Drone right from the DJI site and it is completely dead right out of the box. No lights what so ever, charged for several hrs and still no lights. The first thing they wanted me to do was send them videos of me plugging it in and pushing the button. If I wasn't smart enough to push a button would I be able to video it and attach it to an email lol. Granted they did eventually get a working battery to me but they need better QC and customer support.
I couldn't wait for them so I "had" to go to Best Buy and get a spare battery(checked it before I paid for it). That's the reasoning I gave my wife to get a spare battery.

Reactions: yorlik
If the remote and the battery are failing to charge I would be suspecting an issue with the charger- it’s a lot more likely than the chance of two faulty units.
I agree and during my lovely "chat" with support on line I discussed that possibility. I would have been willing to exchange components but apparently they find it easier to just return the entire purchase and frankly I wasn't interested in trying to argue with a customer support person via computer chat.....so back to the seller it went......but I am a stubborn person so tonight I went online and purchased the Obsidian P4 Pro version from BuyDig. This one better work "right out of the box" or I will really give up on DJI. The reason I need the P4 Pro is precision mapping. I'm tired of hand flying patterns using pain staking manual waypoint inputs which take way too much time and effort. So I hope I'm not disappointed and this drone will arrive 100% functioning.

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
When I purchased my P4, the store owner sat down with me for at least 30 mins while we went over everything including registration. He stated that if I charged both the controller and the flight battery at the same time, I would damage the charger.

I have seen that also but I went through the quick start guide, the p4p manual and the battery safety manual and could not find anything that stated that. I did not find anything so I'm not sure where I came up with that.

He stated that if I charged both the controller and the flight battery at the same time, I would damage the charger.
That's both interesting and disturbing at the same time. If this is in fact a known and verified problem at DJI it raises a number of questions....why haven't they modified the charger? Why don't they explain that clearly in their literature? Why didn't their online support person bring that problem up immediately? Again, if what you were told is true, from a customers vantage point, it doesn't inspire much confidence and from a business perspective it makes even less sense. How many customers (like me) bought and then returned a product? That's got to cost DJI a fortune.

The ones that owned a P3... ?

My point is, it appears there is the potential for a problem - especially since they both use 100 watt chargers and the P4 battery is a more powerful battery.

The ones that owned a P3... ?

My point is, it appears there is the potential for a problem - especially since they both use 100 watt chargers and the P4 battery is a more powerful battery.
Yeah- it’s in the P3 manual, no question. Point is a new entrant to the drone world who’s entry point is phantom 4 probably want go reading manuals for earlier AC.

I charge both controller and battery at same time for the P3 often- no ill effects. It might take a little longer for the P3 AC battery to charge, no issue. I’m using a charging hub anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4