Another brand besides DJI drone

Reaction score
Who uses a drone from another brand besides his DJI drone? I now have a DJI Phantom drone but consider buying (again) a Yuneec Typhoon H drone. The hexacopter design of the Typhoon also has some advantages. Aside from it looking super cool, it has some real practical advantages. One failed motor won’t cause a crash landing. Surprisingly it is also quieter than the Phantom.

Personally I’d not try any drone other than a DJI. After reading comments about crashes and fly aways, I think most are pilot errors in some way. Other than DJI’s terrible customer service you cant beat DJI products. As long as you can avoid dealing with them you are in good shape flying DJI drones.

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

I have owned 8 DJI drones and found consistent quality in all.
I tried the competition recently with an Autel EVO and a Parrot Anafi.
I returned them both within 2 days as both were a disappointment.
A few years ago I tried a Syma cheapie which I returned within an hour as it was pure junk.

DJI isn't that bad yet. Of course, you have the 'terrible' customer service, but if you can handle with it then the total is a good product.

On the other hand, the Yuneec Typhoon H is also look exciting. The drone is somewhat similar to a P3P (I think) and is already offered for less than $ 700.-.

DJI isn't that bad yet. Of course, you have the 'terrible' customer service, but if you can handle with it then the total is a good product.

On the other hand, the Yuneec Typhoon H is also look exciting. The drone is somewhat similar to a P3P (I think) and is already offered for less than $ 700.-.
If the phantom 3 Pro had 360° Gimble rotation, Retracting landing gear, front facing ultrasonic collision detection, folding rotor arms (and two extra), remote with 7”tablet incorporated, 5.8 GHz or 2.4 GHz radio transmission and a few other features they would be very similar.

They are, in reality very different. I think you will struggle to find one below $700.

Where I live, there is a dji store local. The vaughan location, the guys are fantastic. Friendly, willing to.help with questions with my new drone. They also found me a used camera and gimbal, which they brought in from Calgary for me. I haven't had any dealings with dji on the phone. But I just wanna say that the guys from vaughan are great. Hwy 7 and Weston road

Chris

If the phantom 3 Pro had 360° Gimble rotation, Retracting landing gear, front facing ultrasonic collision detection, folding rotor arms (and two extra), remote with 7”tablet incorporated, 5.8 GHz or 2.4 GHz radio transmission and a few other features they would be very similar.

They are, in reality very different. I think you will struggle to find one below $700.

You are absolutely better informed than I am. But the drone is often offered (in Europe) for prizes that are lower than usual. Have a look here:

Yuneec # YUNTYHBEU Typhoon H Advanced C-GO3 + 4K Gimbal Akku ST16 2 Antennen | eBay

and

YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexakopter, CGO3 Plus Kamera, 12MP, 4K UHD Videofunktion | eBay[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: Flick6211
It looks like a lot of drone for the money... If anyone is going to give DJI something to think about at the hobby drone price point it might just be yuneec the way they are going.
That sounds the same as I was thinking.

You are absolutely better informed than I am. But the drone is often offered (in Europe) for prizes that are lower than usual. Have a look here:

Yuneec # YUNTYHBEU Typhoon H Advanced C-GO3 + 4K Gimbal Akku ST16 2 Antennen | eBay

and

YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexakopter, CGO3 Plus Kamera, 12MP, 4K UHD Videofunktion | eBay

Good suggestion. For me this price is very accessible.

I have (6) DJI units that are operational at this moment and I enjoy flying them and enjoy the money they make for our business.

On the flip side I also fly a Yuneec H520 (with Thermal and RGB camera in the same frame) for Emergency Services. It's a solid platform that handles very well and does exactly what is needed/expected at a fraction of the cost of a similar DJI aircraft. Best of all my particular version doesn't have any NFZ/GeoFencing so I can literally fly it anywhere at any time. The RESPONSIBILITY to fly legally falls directly on me, the operator.

No need to be afraid of Yuneec as they have been doing this a long time (My first MultiRotor was a Blade/Yuneec many years ago) and they make a nice flying and quality sUAS. In some ways Yuneec are more flexible because they don't have the same "training wheels" that DJI has implemented into their systems (Smart batteries etc) which are a plus for some but a hindrance for others.

Who uses a drone from another brand besides his DJI drone? I now have a DJI Phantom drone but consider buying (again) a Yuneec Typhoon H drone. The hexacopter design of the Typhoon also has some advantages. Aside from it looking super cool, it has some real practical advantages. One failed motor won’t cause a crash landing. Surprisingly it is also quieter than the Phantom.

Had a Typhoon H! Yuneec has never upgraded their software and have no intention to add WAYPOINT Navigation. The Typhoon H only has the STUPID CABLE CAM mode, which it graciously flew right into the Woods on my property, when it was suppose to turn away from the trees.

I NO LONGER have the Typhoon H and won't own another one!

Had a Typhoon H! Yuneec has never upgraded their software and have no intention to add WAYPOINT Navigation. The Typhoon H only has the STUPID CABLE CAM mode, which it graciously flew right into the Woods on my property, when it was suppose to turn away from the trees.

I NO LONGER have the Typhoon H and won't own another one!
Thanks for your information. In the meantime, I have taken a closer look at the Yuneec Typhoon H and read the following story:

Drone manufacturer Yuneec has just released a substantial software update for its Tyhoon H hexacopter. Thanks to the update, the user will have access to a lot of new features that will appeal to drone photographers in particular. Yuneec has also made improvements in the stability of the radio connection.

The update, which Yuneec refers to as Software Release 3.0, offers a lot of improvements in various areas. It is not just a firmware update in which some bugs are solved, but a whole new piece of software for both the drone and the controller.

Have both DJI & Autel Robotics. The Autel Robotics is used everyday. The Phantom hasn't been out of its case in 6 months. Autel is a better company6 than DJI. I like my Phantom, sorta...but my X-Star Premium just blows it away. No 3rd party apps necessary, no NFZ with Autel Robotics either, better control, more stable bird, and waaay better camera. The DJI is just around as a backup and for my grandson to play with when he comes over. The X-Star is also considerably more industrial than the Phantoms cheap, toy-like feel and appearance.

I've got a DJI Phantom Vision2 when they first came out and added a Rotorpixel gimbal - it still flies very well, but the picture no longer appears on my phone. I can still take photos and videos though and control the camera up and down. I then got a Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 2.5 years ago and it flies very well and responsive. I got the gimbal to carry a GoPro Hero 4 and get great results. I have just recently bought a Q500G which came with the GoPro gimbal, mainly as a backup and for spares if needed. Flown them all for many hours with no updating and no crashes. Fly carefully and take of your batteries.

I have a Typhoon H. Certainly a better aircraft than the DJI consumer models. I purchased it over a year ago and there has been a total of only ONE software update. The new H plus uses the exact same 1 inch sensor as the P4P. Because the camera rotates 360 degrees, there are many more shots possible than with DJI consumer models. The cons are the range and size. I've put my P4P+ and Mavic Pro up for sale to purchase the new Typhoon H plus. I don't trust DJI security, too many updates and too many times my aircraft wouldn't fly after an update. Additionally, the company isn't geared for the consumer market as DJI's poor quality of service reflects. The consumer models are a test platform for technology which will move to the commercial platforms. Not a good business model IMHO. I've moved away from DJI because there are so many great alternatives focused on service, support and product reliability.

Personally I’d not try any drone other than a DJI. After reading comments about crashes and fly aways, I think most are pilot errors in some way. Other than DJI’s terrible customer service you cant beat DJI products. As long as you can avoid dealing with them you are in good shape flying DJI drones.

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Funny, the huge disconnect DJI has between their departments:

* Hardware dept: Top notch
* Software dept: Pretty good as long as they leave it along and don't f*** with it. Unfortunately, they NEVER leave it along and they're ALWAYS f***ing with it.
* Firmware dept: See "Software"
* Technical support: A joke. Literally, a joke.
* Warranty dept: Hot and cold. I've had VERY good luck, but others have not.

Solution:

Use legacy FW and Software. Turn off all the Object Avoidance crap, and use your own skills to avoid objects, and you'll love your bird forever. Buy Care Refresh.

D

Funny, the huge disconnect DJI has between their departments:

* Hardware dept: Top notch
* Software dept: Pretty good as long as they leave it along and don't f*** with it. Unfortunately, they NEVER leave it along and they're ALWAYS f***ing with it.
* Firmware dept: See "Software"
* Technical support: A joke. Literally, a joke.
* Warranty dept: Hot and cold. I've had VERY good luck, but others have not.

Solution:

Use legacy FW and Software. Turn off all the Object Avoidance crap, and use your own skills to avoid objects, and you'll love your bird forever. Buy Care Refresh.

D

It is a little offtopic but... I think the software problem is easy for DJI to solve. At this moment they release two apps (DJI Go3 and DJI Go 4). With that they want handle all consumer drones (from Spark to P4P). That is actually impossible.

Let them develop multiple variants of their apps. A specific app for every drone. Because every upgrade for a new drone (or camera) is often a downgrade for an existing product.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31