Another brand besides DJI drone

It is a little offtopic but... I think the software problem is easy for DJI to solve.

Probably. The problem is DJI won't fix existing problems, because they don't consider them problems. To them, disabling your bird out in the middle of nowhere until you login to the DJI mother ship is a "feature."

The solution is easy. Find a version that works without having to take tests or login, and stick with it. For me that's v3.1.1 of the Go App, and v4.0.8 of the Go-4 App. Coupled with legacy firmware, both apps are rock solid, reliable, and very well tested in the field. You'll never have to login to DJI ever again for any reason.

D

Autel is a better company than DJI. I like my Phantom, sorta...but my X-Star Premium just blows it away.
With respect, you are making a judgement based on a comparison of two out-of-date, superseded, basic wifi drones.
The P3 standard was almost obsolete when it was released more than 3 years ago to cater for the bottom of the market that preferred a cheap price above the advanced Lightbridge technology that DJI released 6 months earlier on their other P3 models.

That's like comparing car companies based on their bottom-of-the-range offerings from the 1970s.

It is crazy, almost bought another brand myself, but didn't because it's not a needed expense, so why put more money into it.

Not happy with DJI customer service, both when I bought my drone, but even yesterday when my Pocket Osmo arrived, it would not let me activate the camera without an I phone, the phone I use for my drone would not work with the Mimo app for some reason.

Why is something like a camera, that cannot be used to fly into restricted air space not be able to be used without activation I will never understand.

Last edited:
You might want to take a look at a Xiaomi Mi 4k Drone. Google it for more info, and if you get that far and want to purchase, look at gearbest or banggood websites for good prices. WI flew a couple for a couple of years. A while I am far from any kind of professional videographer I pleasantly surprised to find the quality and stability of the Mi Drone to be nearly on a par with a Phantom for significantly less in price.

Personally I’d not try any drone other than a DJI. After reading comments about crashes and fly aways, I think most are pilot errors in some way. Other than DJI’s terrible customer service you cant beat DJI products. As long as you can avoid dealing with them you are in good shape flying DJI drones.

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF
I have 2 CX20's and I own a FreeX and of course a Phantom 3 Standard. The CX20 I find does not handle well, while the FreeX is nearly as good as the Phantom I am still a beginner really but I love the sport, I would not recommend the CX20 but the FreeX is very good never had a fault and it will do about 40MPH.

Who uses a drone from another brand besides his DJI drone? I now have a DJI Phantom drone but consider buying (again) a Yuneec Typhoon H drone. The hexacopter design of the Typhoon also has some advantages. Aside from it looking super cool, it has some real practical advantages. One failed motor won’t cause a crash landing. Surprisingly it is also quieter than the Phantom.
Autel Robotics. I have the X Star Premium and Autel Evo.

Not bad for $500

That is certainly not a bad offer. A lot of drone with many possibilities for a very reasonable price. But the drone isn't yet delivered (just pre-order). First wait a while and see what it will look like in reality.
Agreed!

Who uses a drone from another brand besides his DJI drone? I now have a DJI Phantom drone but consider buying (again) a Yuneec Typhoon H drone. The hexacopter design of the Typhoon also has some advantages. Aside from it looking super cool, it has some real practical advantages. One failed motor won’t cause a crash landing. Surprisingly it is also quieter than the Phantom.

I have been using the Anafi for the last two months as my RE drone. I fly it almost every day. It has been OUTSTANDING and I will probably never use my Phantom 3 again. It is quiet, the images are great and it does everything I need it to do. The great thing is that we have CHOICE. Competition is a good thing.

I've read great things about them. Some folks are modding them too!

I have been flying DJI and Yuneec for about two years. On the DJI side, Phantom 3, Phantom 4, and Mavic Pro and Platinum. On the Yuneec side; Breeze, Typhoon H and H520. I would have to say if you are just starting out, the DJI products are your best bet (minus the customer service). The Yuneec products struggled in the beginning with some software issues but they seemed to have straighten it out. Performance wise flying a Yuneec Typhoon or a H520 .... it is a different experience than with the DJI Phantom or Mavic. The Yuneec birds are heavier and a little more complex to fly. But they are fun to fly. Plus you get added benefits of better camera control, safety with one prop failure (can fly on 5 props out of 6). One thing I did notice in the DJI favor is flight distance. The Yuneec birds cannot come close to the Mavic or Phantom. Where I would average 3000m in an urban area with the DJI, I can only get 1000m with the Yuneec products.Their signal drop out comes quick and complete....really no warning. Also, remember the Yuneec battery system is not a 'smart' battery. You must monitor this closely and make a judgment (based on prior experience with the Yuneec battery) when to start heading back home. Finally, the main plus to the Yuneec, there are no software/hardware geo zone requirements. The drone will literally go where you want it to go. YOU know the rules of where you can fly or not fly. Yuneec leaves it up to you to NOT fly where you shouldn't.

After all is said and done...what would I fly? With all the drones I have at my disposal, I find myself picking up the Mavic Platinum Pro almost every time. I love flying the Yuneec birds but I always seem to prefer the Mavic as my solid performer.

If DJI just knew about dealing with the public and especially their customers, they could be an awesome company overall. However being from a communist country their dealings with the public has never been mastered and probably never will. In my dealings with “Customer Service” was a disaster. They would lie on a simple matter when telling the truth would have been much easier! I tried for a whole month to just get them to tell me how a Phantom 4 could flip upside down and power dive into the ground. They never did. They seemed to always refer me up a level to someone who basically knew nothing about my case though I had a number and had previously been sent the same direction. It was like each department was kept isolated from the rest perhaps to avoid admitting responsibility for their problems. Anyway I’ll never send anything to them again. First you’ll never see your same drone again but get someone’s else problem that may or may not have been fixed. They reportedly test each drone before it is sent to a customer but the one I received (after I paid the repair bill) had all four retainer springs that locked the props on removed because the screws were left loose. Now how or why did they do that? And how could they have flown it with no props? It took only 5 weeks to get the ten cent parts mailed to me AFTER I had to send a video showing they were missing! Real trusting huh?

They simply don’t trust or believe their customer’s claims. So be advised of this fault if you deal with them. Their drones are great but that’s all you’ll get!

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

If DJI just knew about dealing with the public and especially their customers, they could be an awesome company overall. However being from a communist country their dealings with the public has never been mastered and probably never will. In my dealings with “Customer Service” was a disaster. They would lie on a simple matter when telling the truth would have been much easier! I tried for a whole month to just get them to tell me how a Phantom 4 could flip upside down and power dive into the ground. They never did. They seemed to always refer me up a level to someone who basically knew nothing about my case though I had a number and had previously been sent the same direction. It was like each department was kept isolated from the rest perhaps to avoid admitting responsibility for their problems. Anyway I’ll never send anything to them again. First you’ll never see your same drone again but get someone’s else problem that may or may not have been fixed. They reportedly test each drone before it is sent to a customer but the one I received (after I paid the repair bill) had all four retainer springs that locked the props on removed because the screws were left loose. Now how or why did they do that? And how could they have flown it with no props? It took only 5 weeks to get the ten cent parts mailed to me AFTER I had to send a video showing they were missing! Real trusting huh?

They simply don’t trust or believe their customer’s claims. So be advised of this fault if you deal with them. Their drones are great but that’s all you’ll get!

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF
Communist country? That must be it- LOL...

Not everybody has bad experiences with DJI, the ones that do grizzle loudest and more frequently- that’s human nature and expected.

Well, being from a "communist country" definitely has its role in how a company is allowed to deal with the public. China is terribly afraid of giving out its secrets it stole from others that they frown on such dealings. However my dealings with DJI customer service are real and well documented. They are probably the worst of all for companies their size. Their complete lack of consideration of their customer's problems proves it. My problem is that I knew all this before I bought my first Phantom 2 years ago. I had checked out the company as best I could from information available and knew they were terrible but bought the Phantom anyway because of its features and hoping I would be one of the lucky ones. I was not. However, I did buy the V 2.0 recently as an upgrade and still knew of DJi's reputation but still consider their produce the best available for the money.

Sure wish they would learn from their customers about how to deal with the customer base. I know I'll continue to get negative comments about my negative comments about DJI but I won't be responding further to this.

Regards,

Jim
WA5TEF

Well, being from a "communist country" definitely has its role in how a company is allowed to deal with the public. China is terribly afraid of giving out its secrets it stole from others that they frown on such dealings. However my dealings with DJI customer service are real and well documented. They are probably the worst of all for companies their size. Their complete lack of consideration of their customer's problems proves it. My problem is that I knew all this before I bought my first Phantom 2 years ago. I had checked out the company as best I could from information available and knew they were terrible but bought the Phantom anyway because of its features and hoping I would be one of the lucky ones. I was not. However, I did buy the V 2.0 recently as an upgrade and still knew of DJi's reputation but still consider their produce the best available for the money.

Sure wish they would learn from their customers about how to deal with the customer base. I know I'll continue to get negative comments about my negative comments about DJI but I won't be responding further to this.

Regards,

Jim
WA5TEF
Good...

I have been flying DJI and Yuneec for about two years. On the DJI side, Phantom 3, Phantom 4, and Mavic Pro and Platinum. On the Yuneec side; Breeze, Typhoon H and H520. I would have to say if you are just starting out, the DJI products are your best bet (minus the customer service). The Yuneec products struggled in the beginning with some software issues but they seemed to have straighten it out. Performance wise flying a Yuneec Typhoon or a H520 .... it is a different experience than with the DJI Phantom or Mavic. The Yuneec birds are heavier and a little more complex to fly. But they are fun to fly. Plus you get added benefits of better camera control, safety with one prop failure (can fly on 5 props out of 6). One thing I did notice in the DJI favor is flight distance. The Yuneec birds cannot come close to the Mavic or Phantom. Where I would average 3000m in an urban area with the DJI, I can only get 1000m with the Yuneec products.Their signal drop out comes quick and complete....really no warning. Also, remember the Yuneec battery system is not a 'smart' battery. You must monitor this closely and make a judgment (based on prior experience with the Yuneec battery) when to start heading back home. Finally, the main plus to the Yuneec, there are no software/hardware geo zone requirements. The drone will literally go where you want it to go. YOU know the rules of where you can fly or not fly. Yuneec leaves it up to you to NOT fly where you shouldn't.

After all is said and done...what would I fly? With all the drones I have at my disposal, I find myself picking up the Mavic Platinum Pro almost every time. I love flying the Yuneec birds but I always seem to prefer the Mavic as my solid performer.
That is good and very clear information. Thanks!

Reactions: P4PCommander
You Do not want to buy another DJI PRODUCT!! incase you haven't tried to fly your Drone in the last few Day's DJI has locked us all down! That's right I upgraded as I always have the last 3 years that I have had DJI Products! it appears that DJI has taken the Law into their own hands by Locking all of us down with outdated No Fly Zones! This surely will be DJI's Death From inside DJI's own engineers....That's like Buying a Remington Shot Gun, then the MFG. tells you they will no longer make Ammunition for it...… You Cut your own Throat DJI!!!!

Never EVER update anything from DJI and switch to Litchi. It might not be to late to try Litchi. Mine has worked flawlessly for over two years with no upgrades. Sorry DJI got you!

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Never EVER update anything from DJI and switch to Litchi. It might not be to late to try Litchi. Mine has worked flawlessly for over two years.
That's much the same as my experience (and many other users) flying with DJI Go.
It would appear that you are worried about a problem that doesn't exist.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20