Another bird falls out of the sky

beautiful view but very scary indeed. One thing I have gathered is the these are brushless motors which technically can't freeze. what firmware were u using? Also, would DJI care cover such an incident?
I guess something could have got into the motor and stopped it, BTW battery indicator on HD has been goofy for a while, not sure whats up.

Well, if the shell is still a bit banged up, that's not too bad. What I am most concerned with is that the RC won't connect to the drone. I can't fix that.
The Wifi is part of the camera, I think.

I would definitely count on that being an ESC failure. ESC usually fails within the first 30 flights if you got a bad one. Mine happened on the 29th flight, just when I thought i was in the clear for ESC failing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That would be good as I guess it means DJI would fix it for me. Thanks! I have made a comprehensive list of all the damages on the form I am including in the package.

I guess something could have got into the motor and stopped it, BTW battery indicator on HD has been goofy for a while, not sure whats up.

3 motors are a bit banged up or scuffed but they still feel right turning them. The battery was freshly charged prior to the flight. The very short flight I should say.

There is no real way to be sure right now what happened since you can't get the internal logs or attempt to start the motors but from what I see, I'm betting on ESC. Good luck with the repairs, hopefully they actually fix yours. Keep us updated on how that goes.

There is no real way to be sure right now what happened since you can't get the internal logs or attempt to start the motors but from what I see, I'm betting on ESC. Good luck with the repairs, hopefully they actually fix yours. Keep us updated on how that goes.

I will. Thank you for your support!

I took my P3S for a vacation in St Martin FWI. I was excited to make some great videos of the island. On the first flight there, it fell out of the sky.

I had just charged the battery to 100%. It was a bit windy but the drone was having no problem holding position. It had GPS lock - safe to fly. Of course, it fell on concrete, not grass. :( The gimball broke off; the battery was ejected; all props broke off; 3 motors have scuff marks; the shell is broken; etc...

I was able to save the video by re-plugging in the gimball and turning on the drone. However, I cannot get the remote to link with it. It tries to but then the lights flash rapidly, indicating it has lost connection.

I am not sure what to do with the drone. The gimball is completely fine. It just needs new antenna cables which snapped off.

Is this something I can try to go back to DJI with? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
I used to live there in early 90's built maho beach resort. Beautiful place

Yeah, this is Oyster Pond. It's much more quiet than Maho Beach - less tourists. I had such grandiose plans to film various areas of the island during this trip but crashed on a test run. :( Oh well, I have to go back down there to take care of a few things with our place for next year's rental season. Maybe I can get some good footage then, even though the family won't come with.

3 props were attached, and 1 was just nearby the crash site. I believe it landed upside down, hitting 3 motors, which might be why one of the prop came off. I know I tightened them well. I usually tighten them, and then double-check again.

This part
"and 1 was just nearby the crash site."
is very suspicious to me.
The rotation of the motors causes the props to thread ON, not off.
The fact that this one prop was off, and "nearby the crash site" could be the reason for the crash....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: yorlik
3 props were attached, and 1 was just nearby the crash site. I believe it landed upside down, hitting 3 motors, which might be why one of the prop came off. I know I tightened them well. I usually tighten them, and then double-check again.

Was the prop, and especially its hub, that you found nearby intact or damaged?

I actually hadn't watched the video until now.:(

marc312, after spinning on the prop until it stops, do you hold it with one hand and turn the prop 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn with the other hand to make sure it's snug? Forgetting to tighten them is almost always why they fly off mid-flight. Either that, or the prop could have been cracked around the hub prior to taking off.

marc312, after spinning on the prop until it stops, do you hold it with one hand and turn the prop 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn with the other hand to make sure it's snug? Forgetting to tighten them is almost always why they fly off mid-flight. Either that, or the prop could have been cracked around the hub prior to taking off.

That's what I do every time before flying: spin the prop on until it hits resistance and give it another 1/4 turn snug. I then recheck all 4 props. When I take them off, they are even snigger and a bit harder to remove.

Did you check the hub area for hairline cracks or stripped threads?

I cannot say I did. This was the bird's 11th flight. Its 6th outing or so. The prop had been put on/removed maybe 7 to 10 times in all. It did not feel any different threading it on, nor tightening it. I really take my time when preparing for a flight. I follow my pre-flight checklist. And when I fly, I am also deliberately careful - check the video. If props are so fidgety that they can fly off or the hub break when one is so careful, then I would say. They are not properly engineered. There should be a better locking mechanism.

Do you see any damage in the hub area now?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik