Amazon's Newest Patent for Drone Deliveries.

Reaction score
Consider the parachute. How long has it been around for? In a sense, it may be one of the more versatile inventions out there. It helped bring the Apollo Space capsule to an easy landing. It helped many paratroopers land without injury. Now, it is set to design to help Amazon land your smaller packages without any sort of damage to the product you purchase.

I never thought that drone delivery was possible. Also, I like to go places to buy stuff, not have it delivered to me. Is it maybe my life is so boring that this is entertainment for me?

As Amazon has just filed a parachute patent in assistance for drone delivery, here is what I know of the system Amazon is looking to get into place.

Hires_060831-F-2185F-053.jpg

Great, FEDEX didn't break enough stuff, now it's delibery by JDAM I mean JDPD "Joint Direct Package Delivery.":D

So basically their idea is to use packages that are steerable as they fall, like a JDAM, then either just let them crash into the ground, or deploy a parachute when they are close, the article wasn't clear which. How much will delivery cost? A couple of thousand a box (because of the control unit)? Have to mail the controller back on delivery? I see lots of packages stuck in trees, on (or through) roofs, floating in swimming pools, crashing through windshields, etc. parachutes do interesting things when the wind hits them, add an AI guidance system and it gets real fun. It's a neat idea but I don't see regular package delivery being done that way. By a drone landing, yes, by JDAM JDPD? No.

This is very cool. Amazon really is taking their drone delivery concept very serious. I can't wait until they start practical application to the masses after the bugs are worked out.

I somewhat wonder how they will handle the trouble makers that take down the Amazon drones while in flight, upon delivery etc. I'm sure they're putting policies in place to handle that as well.

But back to the parachute, I would love it if a very compact sleek parachute was designed by DJI and affixed to their aircraft. Maybe something that deploys when it detects the craft is inverted or something to help with a soft landing upon some freak radio, software issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.