Altitude question

Reaction score
Been flying P3A for a couple months now, using DJI GO app. From reading this forum I understand that the altitude shown in the app is the altitude in reference to the point of my take off. Is there any way to get information as to the altitude above ground level during a flight. I am starting out at about 1200' elevation and flying about a mile out to a baseball field to film some friends playing. It would be really helpful to know my actual elevation above the baseball field.

Thanks.

ps: yes I will go to the field, but right now I am also testing my itElite range extender.

One of the ways to get the elevation of a point is to use Google Earth in advance. You should study the details well in advance thoroughly as one needs to calculate differences in elevations to get height at a point. Be careful.

For example:

If you fly at height of 200' at home point, if you just move the bird to next place, height of the bird with respect to ground at that place would be = 200 + elevation of ground at home point - elevation of ground at next point.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Is there any way to get information as to the altitude above ground level during a flight.
I haven't tried it, but Hivemapper displays the altitude above the launch point, above the ground, and above objects (e.g. buildings) between the Phantom and the ground. It's only available for Android devices right now.

We would like to use hivemapper too but unfortunately it's not available yet for iOS.

If you plan out Litchi missions, it gets you ground clearances at different way points with respect to home point. That is very useful in adjusting altitudes at every waypoint to maintain minimum safe heights.

In my opinion one of the best apps for p3 is auto pilot way safer than litchi and a lot better ,not as simple to use tough

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl