ALMOST LOST MY P3 PRO.....Went on eratic joy flight of its on

Reaction score
Would greatly appreciate somebodys help or insight. Last night I flew my P2V+....and then flew my P3Pro....Prior to flight I calibrated the P3...all lights were normal...stated..." ready to fly GPS"...I took off in the auto mode...it immediatly started to drift with me only having slight control...I raised it higher so that it wouldn't fly into a house and trees about 100 feet away. it then started flying all over the place on its on...generally in circles in a 100 foot radius but also making very erratic darting here and there. Freaking out I pushed the return to home without much success...it finally acted like it wanted to land, but at a great distance from the take-off point.....I tried to take back over control as it tried to land in a tree...I, very luckily got it back with much effort and landed it manually. A couple things I realized in hindsight as I tried to make sense of what just happened and the thought of losing (up to this point)..my favorite quad....I usually use an Ipad when flying my P3...this time I was using my Galaxy Note 3....never had a problem in the past.....but I remembered that though I was cleared to fly GPS and the satellite signal showed to be strong...the app never showed any satellites...(just a strong satellite signal). How could I be cleared to fly GPS after calibration...and a strong satellite signal, but no number of satellites.....I figured that it just may be the difference of the app on a different device Note 3 instead of Ipad...not sure if that makes sense. One more thing....when I was flying my P2V+ just a half hour earlier, I never completely took the DJI Vision App off my phone...it was still running in the background when I was flying my P3Pro on the DJI Pilot App. Is there any chance that the Vision app running in the background may of caused confusion for the P3?...Just grabbing for straws as to what the heck happened before I can trust to fly it again...Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...and yes I downloaded the latest firmware last week....Thanks to all for any help...Ken

Would greatly appreciate somebodys help or insight. Last night I flew my P2V+....and then flew my P3Pro....Prior to flight I calibrated the P3...all lights were normal...stated..." ready to fly GPS"...I took off in the auto mode...it immediatly started to drift with me only having slight control...I raised it higher so that it wouldn't fly into a house and trees about 100 feet away. it then started flying all over the place on its on...generally in circles in a 100 foot radius but also making very erratic darting here and there. Freaking out I pushed the return to home without much success...it finally acted like it wanted to land, but at a great distance from the take-off point.....I tried to take back over control as it tried to land in a tree...I, very luckily got it back with much effort and landed it manually. A couple things I realized in hindsight as I tried to make sense of what just happened and the thought of losing (up to this point)..my favorite quad....I usually use an Ipad when flying my P3...this time I was using my Galaxy Note 3....never had a problem in the past.....but I remembered that though I was cleared to fly GPS and the satellite signal showed to be strong...the app never showed any satellites...(just a strong satellite signal). How could I be cleared to fly GPS after calibration...and a strong satellite signal, but no number of satellites.....I figured that it just may be the difference of the app on a different device Note 3 instead of Ipad...not sure if that makes sense. One more thing....when I was flying my P2V+ just a half hour earlier, I never completely took the DJI Vision App off my phone...it was still running in the background when I was flying my P3Pro on the DJI Pilot App. Is there any chance that the Vision app running in the background may of caused confusion for the P3?...Just grabbing for straws as to what the heck happened before I can trust to fly it again...Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...and yes I downloaded the latest firmware last week....Thanks to all for any help...Ken

You need to be sure to do an IMU calibration also. As far as the app not showing the sats, that is just because you downloaded the app from the play store?? Download the one directly from the DJI site and it will show you the sat count.

The app and the device would have nothing to do with the problem you described. Something was out of wack in the bird and a cold IMU calibration should help. Also, if you're flying at night turn off the VPS. I've noticed that at night it will cause erratic behavior at low altitudes.

Here's a helpful video about the calibration.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks much Amos!!...I sure hope what you say will help.....It was flying around CRAZY...it did fall from a tree about 10 feet onto the grass with only a broken prop guard on a recent flight...could that of messed up the calibration?...How do you turn off the VPS?

Absolutely---if you search the forum, you'll notice the consensus is to perform advanced IMU calibration on level surface after any crash-major or minor for all phantoms. I've been there with erratic behavior with my FC40 after just a minor rough landing....will never make the mistake again.
You should also check your flight record or logs to see if there were any issues with compass. I personally check the mod value at takeoff and occasionally in air to make sure I'm comfortable in new flying areas. Got burned by a power substation once, though I thought I was far enough away....

Reactions: AmosMoses
Absolutely---if you search the forum, you'll notice the consensus is to perform advanced IMU calibration on level surface after any crash-major or minor for all phantoms. I've been there with erratic behavior with my FC40 after just a minor rough landing....will never make the mistake again.
You should also check your flight record or logs to see if there were any issues with compass. I personally check the mod value at takeoff and occasionally in air to make sure I'm comfortable in new flying areas. Got burned by a power substation once, though I thought I was far enough away....
Amos...Check the mod value???....Not sure what that is..or how to check it. I have had quite a few compass errors recently...and thought that maybe it was because I left the remote on a car or on the cement while I was doing the calibration....if somebody holds the remote while I do the calibration, it never has a error...not sure why that is.

Amos...Check the mod value???....Not sure what that is..or how to check it. I have had quite a few compass errors recently...and thought that maybe it was because I left the remote on a car or on the cement while I was doing the calibration....if somebody holds the remote while I do the calibration, it never has a error...not sure why that is.

MOD values are in "advanced" and then "sensors"
It's explained in the video I posted up top.

The controller has no part in the calibration other than the stick movements. Just be sure that when you do the calibration it's at least 5 feet away from the Phantom.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic