Alaska Aerials

Just wow! That is amazing! You certainly have an eye for video. Nice framing of shots, perfect music, sound effects at the right places. I'm blown away by this! This really shows what is possible with this machine, a GoPro and some suburb editing skills!

How did you correct for the fisheye lens distortion? I'm shooting in medium view and the distortion still drives me nuts. (Edit: I see you already answered this in a previous post. What is Lens Distortion Removal? Is it something built into Premiere? I use FCPX and I don't think there is anything similar.)

Gosh, I have to say one more time how good this is!!!

Please keep up the awesome work!

Thanks a lot! Yeah, Premiere has had a filter called Lens Distortion for a while. In the new version (CC 2014), it actually comes with a bunch of presets so you can choose what version of GoPro you're using, and what settings you shot at (2.7k, whatever), and it will automatically choose the right amount to correct it by. That said, to me it seemed to overdo it in some shots, so I would usually tweak to taste so as to keep the frame as wide as possible and preserve resolution. I'm pretty sure GoPro studio also has an option to automatically remove the fisheye when you convert it from the .mp4 to to .mov, but since I edited the native files in Premiere I didn't do that step.

But yeah, I think getting rid of the fisheye is definitely the #1 thing you have to do to make things look a bit more cinematic!

Wow. You took it to a whole new level.

I am going back to watch it again.... Thanks!!

This is awesome. I hate reading about how you need a 5D or GH4 to do 'real' aerial work but this just makes a joke of that. Amazing what the GoPro is capable of in the right hands. Just shows, it's what you do with it that counts.
Congrats!

Do you happen to know the highest elevation you flew at? I've been having some trouble at high elevation (>14,000 ft.) and have been discussing it with DJI. It might be magnetic interference due to the particular type of rock I was near and the only way to really tell is to test it in other places.

It was all just above sea-level, nothing more than a couple thousand feet max. I'm about to head to the Andes with it though, so we'll see how it fares there...

sturge907 said:
It was all just above sea-level, nothing more than a couple thousand feet max. I'm about to head to the Andes with it though, so we'll see how it fares there...

Fair enough. I'll be curious. Have a great trip. I'm looking forward to see what footage you bring back!

So that's just the built in adobe premier distortion removal? Did you crop to remove any stretching on the edges? It appears to be a billion times better than anything in FCPx that I have tried....

Best Phantom 2 video I've seen to date! (and I've seen a LOT of them)

Do you mind divulging the name of that soundtrack? If you do mind, can you at least tell me who produced it? I seen to be in a constant hunt for good music that isn't already in the mainstream, and that goes well with this sort of "landscape" video subject.

One more question if you don't mind. I've steered away from using 2.7k because I'm afraid my computer won't be able to keep up with that high a resolution. Are there any tricks to easing up the computers workload with 2.7k?

Beautiful production Sturge!

How did you get "Solstice" to appear after the mountain?

I have soo much to learn...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31