Alaska Aerials

Reaction score
Got a phantom a month ago and rigged it out with some FPV gear thanks to the folks on this forum, and it worked out fantastic! Spent some time in Alaska flying it around, here's the resulting vid. Went through A LOT of post-work to try to get it looking cinematic, but I'm pretty blown away by what this thing can do!!

https://vimeo.com/101584491

Looks fantastic!

what did you do in post work do make it looks this good?

Black+?

Yeah, Hero 3+ Black, with an ND.

Post was a bit of a nightmare, took quite a bit of time in premiere, I didn't convert the .mp4s to ProRes (hoping it would keep quality highest) so it was a total slog... probably will next time.

More or less in this order:

-lens distortion reduction
-warp stabilizer
-multiple levels of color correction (generally some combination of brightness and contrast, saturation, filmconvert, and magic bullet looks)
-diffusion
-noise reduction
-ReelSmart Motion Blur (for shots with too fast shutter)
-sharpening
-added some lens flares in after effects
-grain addition

Excellent video work there. We spent three weeks in Alaska about three years ago, and I definitely want to go back and do some aerial video now.

Awesome vide man. I'm home for the summer in Kodiak. How were you able to fly so well in the trees and in the culvert?

Really stunning work mate. Made me want to go visit Alaska now.

I especially like what you did with the waterfall at 3:37 mark.....

Thanks all! Definitely not all that good at flying yet, you'll notice its almost always in straight lines... but I found that if you pick a lane, and maintain direct line of sight and just push it forward or backwards, once you get momentum going it holds a pretty steady straight line... so usually flying between trees and stuff just seems to be trusting that and throwing in some minor adjustments side to side with the right stick. I generally set my elevation at the beginning with the throttle and then hold that stick there for the entirety of the shot... increasing throttle or yawing midshot usually didn't end up that well and rarely ended up as smooth as I wanted.

Hoping to start playing with course lock and home lock soon to try some more complex moves...

Everything was shot at protune 2.7k cinema, 24p.

Absolutely stunning, I've been lurking for a while and registered just to say that!

Well done.

Wow! This is extraordinary! Absolutely amazing...
I was wondering, if I may ask: I noticed you were shoting at protune 2.7k cinema,
But did you do anything to remove the GoPro fisheye effect, cant seem to notice this in any of your clip, and I must say, it looks way better
that way.

Cant wait for some more footage to come!

Yep, did lens distortion removal in any shots that looked they needed it. Some (in the mountains with no horizon) were okay without it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1