Airplane mode/Wifi/Cellular on or off during flight? (POLL)

Do you turn on/off Airplane mode/Wifi/Cell during flight?

• YES, I DO ENABLE AIRPLANE MODE BEFORE FLYING

• NO, I DO NOT ENABLE AIRPLANE MODE BEFORE FLYING

• I DISABLE CELLULAR SERVICE BEFORE FLYING

• I DISABLE WIFI BEFORE FLYING

• I LEAVE EVERYTHING AS IS AND JUST FLY! (Cell on, Wifi on, etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
For those of us who use our actual cell phones (or tablets with cellular service) as an FPV device.

There have also been threads brought up about this but it seems like we don't have a solid answer.

I know the official DJI documents don't mention this anywhere.

Do you enable airplane mode?

Do you disable only Wifi?

Do you disable only cellular signal?

If you do enable/disable any of these features during flight is it from fear of interference and/or to avoid the PilotApp from crashing, distractions (calls, messages, popups), etc?

Have you experienced any interference while flying with Wifi/Cell signal turn on, on your device?

Please choose an answer from the poll and explain.

Thanks,

Tony

I fly in airplane mode since I do not need Wi-Fi or cell service when flying. I want my iPad Mini 2 to run as efficiently as possible.

Reactions: Pharm
I fly in airplane mode since I do not need Wi-Fi or cell service when flying. I want my iPad Mini 2 to run as efficiently as possible.

I agree.. I honestly didn't even think about enabling Airplane mode until I came across a site today mentioning this. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 most of the time and almost EVERY time I fly, my app has crashed on me. Thankfully my Drone is always in site so I'd simply restart the app and continue my flight.

I had purchased an older iPad mini only to find out the app doesn't run on the older version (I was actually surprised and pissed at the same time), so now I'll be purchasing another tablet which ill be using solely for the drone.

I fly in airplane mode because I have experience signal degradation when the iPad is not in airplane mode.

I've been flying with my cell in my pocket tethered to the iPad over wifi. Just got back from flying my first mile distance!

I agree.. I honestly didn't even think about enabling Airplane mode until I came across a site today mentioning this. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 most of the time and almost EVERY time I fly, my app has crashed on me. Thankfully my Drone is always in site so I'd simply restart the app and continue my flight.

I had purchased an older iPad mini only to find out the app doesn't run on the older version (I was actually surprised and pissed at the same time), so now I'll be purchasing another tablet which ill be using solely for the drone.
I too have note 4 and just turn off the WiFi but if the maps still work in airplane mode, I'll do that. Got called yesterday during a flight.....annoying however my app has yet to crash on me

I don't like to fly in airplane mode, because you loose the gps, and cannot assign the home point to the radio. I like to assign the home point to were I am, not from the take of. Just turn off WiFi and notification and you're good to go

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I'm a newby, however have been using my note 4 on flight mode.

Have had the app crash several times and dont know what to do to fix the crashes?

Anyone know what I can do?

I'm thinking of using my Note 10.1 from now on but can I?

I fly the Nexus 7 II with Wifi on, Linked to my work phones Droid Hotspot for maps and stuff no problems.
Hey It's free! :)

Reactions: eseckinger
I'm a newby, however have been using my note 4 on flight mode.

Have had the app crash several times and dont know what to do to fix the crashes?

Anyone know what I can do?

I'm thinking of using my Note 10.1 from now on but can I?
s same here newbie flyer with a note 4 and aside from my phone running hot, it doesn't crash and I've ran my battery to like 8%! Only thing I can say is make sure all your apps are closed before starting the pilot app. Don't know if I'm just lucky but it's always worked for me .

Reactions: Dad12345
s same here newbie flyer with a note 4 and aside from my phone running hot, it doesn't crash and I've ran my battery to like 8%! Only thing I can say is make sure all your apps are closed before starting the pilot app. Don't know if I'm just lucky but it's always worked for me .

Thanks bud will try tomorrow by clearing RAM before I open DJI Pilot app

Never had issues leaving wifi or 4g on with my iPad Air.
It causes more heat build up from the processors and if the ipad gets over 95 degrees F you may start to experience signal loss, screen flickering and total disconnects from the app.from the

I fly in aircraft mode to stop some idiot phoning me.
I do wonder though what google maps they won't work.

I too have note 4 and just turn off the WiFi but if the maps still work in airplane mode, I'll do that. Got called yesterday during a flight.....annoying however my app has yet to crash on me

I believe all you have to do is view the area on the map (within the app) you will be flying (maybe at home, connected to wifi) and your device will cache the maps/area you zoomed in on. It'll be saved so when you get to the spot you will be flying it already has it cached on the device from you viewing it earlier. There really won't be any need for cell phone service IMO especially on the P3.

I don't like to fly in airplane mode, because you loose the gps, and cannot assign the home point to the radio. I like to assign the home point to were I am, not from the take of. Just turn off WiFi and notification and you're good to go

Really? It uses the FPV device to lock in a home point?

Can someone else confirm this please? If so, I just learned something new :)

Really? It uses the FPV device to lock in a home point?

Can someone else confirm this please? If so, I just learned something new :)
Only when setting the Home Point to the RC. No GPS in the P3 RC, so it uses the tablet itself for GPS. You can either use a cellular tablet or a Bluetooth connected external GPS like the Bad Elf Pro or Pro+ with a noncellular WiFi only tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.