Airplane mode/Wifi/Cellular on or off during flight? (POLL)

Do you turn on/off Airplane mode/Wifi/Cell during flight?

• YES, I DO ENABLE AIRPLANE MODE BEFORE FLYING

• NO, I DO NOT ENABLE AIRPLANE MODE BEFORE FLYING

• I DISABLE CELLULAR SERVICE BEFORE FLYING

• I DISABLE WIFI BEFORE FLYING

• I LEAVE EVERYTHING AS IS AND JUST FLY! (Cell on, Wifi on, etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I agree.. I honestly didn't even think about enabling Airplane mode until I came across a site today mentioning this. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 most of the time and almost EVERY time I fly, my app has crashed on me. Thankfully my Drone is always in site so I'd simply restart the app and continue my flight.

I had purchased an older iPad mini only to find out the app doesn't run on the older version (I was actually surprised and pissed at the same time), so now I'll be purchasing another tablet which ill be using solely for the drone.
I purchased an iPad air 2 specifically for use with my phantom. I hate this thing for anything other than use with the Phantom. It has become a $500 phantom accessory

I fly with a cellular Nexus 7 (2013). So I have Google Maps available which is helpful.

A relative newbie so not sure what is the best method. When flying the P2v with my iPhone I always turned on Airplane Mode to prevent interference and calls, and WiFi on to connect to the RC. Worked fine.
Now with the P3 I still turn on Airplane mode on my new iPad Min 3 even though it's WiFi only. And usually leave the WiFi off in the field as there's no network to connect to. And we connect the pad direct to RC.
I try to Cache the maps of the area I intend to fly before leaving home. That's worked fine so far in Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis.
Although on the way to St. Louis we stopped to shoot an area with wind turbines and of course I had no map of that area.
My partner has AT&T personal hotspot so if needed I could have connected that way.
Eventually I will get a Bad Elf or similar.
Just don't see the point of paying for a 3rd wifi service (home, phone and then tablet too??)

Only when setting the Home Point to the RC. No GPS in the P3 RC, so it uses the tablet itself for GPS. You can either use a cellular tablet or a Bluetooth connected external GPS like the Bad Elf Pro or Pro+ with a noncellular WiFi only tablet.

I'm either misunderstanding this or confusing myself. Sorry for the stupid question, just want to make sure I fully understand.

Only when setting the Home Point to the RC. No GPS in the P3 RC, so it uses the tablet itself for GPS

What do you mean by setting the home point to the Remote controller?

Also, I'd assume when you do a compass calibration, that does set your home point correct?

Just curious since every time I fly, I simply power on the drone, wait for it to warm up and take off.

I used to do a compass calibration EVERY where I went whether it be somewhere different or not. My last two flights I didn't do a compass calibration since I see a lot of people saying that if you're within 100 miles of your last successful flight it isn't needed, and a compass calibration for every flight just makes the chances of a fly away/crash higher. Am I doing this correctly?

A relative newbie so not sure what is the best method. When flying the P2v with my iPhone I always turned on Airplane Mode to prevent interference and calls, and WiFi on to connect to the RC. Worked fine.
Now with the P3 I still turn on Airplane mode on my new iPad Min 3 even though it's WiFi only. And usually leave the WiFi off in the field as there's no network to connect to. And we connect the pad direct to RC.
I try to Cache the maps of the area I intend to fly before leaving home. That's worked fine so far in Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis.
Although on the way to St. Louis we stopped to shoot an area with wind turbines and of course I had no map of that area.
My partner has AT&T personal hotspot so if needed I could have connected that way.
Eventually I will get a Bad Elf or similar.
Just don't see the point of paying for a 3rd wifi service (home, phone and then tablet too??)

Yes, makes sense to me. I'd much rather cache the maps of the area prior to flying there and if I ever do need a connection I can simply enable hotspot on my mobile phone to access the internet on my tablet.

The only way I would pay for service on a tablet is if its work related, which I have been contemplating since I am in the IT industry, however I wouldn't pay for service if the tablet's sole purpose was the drone's FPV device.

Anyone here using a Note 4 ever experience noticeable FPV lag?

I find it kind of weird that the app supports Note 3 but not the Note 4. I like the fact of not having to carry an extra device and simply being able to use my phone which I have on me at all times but the app crash/FPV lag is just too annoying to deal with.

FYI Ive been using my wife's iPad air for my last couple of flights and haven't had ANY issues and video transmission seems perfect.

Anyone here using a Note 4 ever experience noticeable FPV lag?

I find it kind of weird that the app supports Note 3 but not the Note 4. I like the fact of not having to carry an extra device and simply being able to use my phone which I have on me at all times but the app crash/FPV lag is just too annoying to deal with.

FYI Ive been using my wife's iPad air for my last couple of flights and haven't had ANY issues and video transmission seems perfect.

I have a Note 4 but I don't think I've ever used it to fly my P3. I'll have to give it a shot. I just had a bad experience with an N9 and I had more faith in that than a Note 4.

I'm either misunderstanding this or confusing myself. Sorry for the stupid question, just want to make sure I fully understand.
What do you mean by setting the home point to the Remote controller?
Also, I'd assume when you do a compass calibration, that does set your home point correct?
Just curious since every time I fly, I simply power on the drone, wait for it to warm up and take off.
I used to do a compass calibration EVERY where I went whether it be somewhere different or not. My last two flights I didn't do a compass calibration since I see a lot of people saying that if you're within 100 miles of your last successful flight it isn't needed, and a compass calibration for every flight just makes the chances of a fly away/crash higher. Am I doing this correctly?
The Pilot app allows you to change the Home Point you recorded at the time of launch to either the current location of the RC, or the current location of the aircraft. You must have an RC or tablet with GPS capability to do the former. The P3 RC does not have GPS, but the Inspire 1 RC does. So, using the P3 RC, to change the original HP at launch to the current RC location, you need either a cellular tablet, or one with built in GPS, or a BT connected external GPS, like a Bad Elf Pro.

Compass calibration does not set your home point, but the aircraft will, as it warms up and finds enough satellites. The original HP is set to the aircraft location, using the aircraft GPS.

Recalibrating your compass should only be necessary if your last compass calibration was faulty, or you are more than 50+ miles from where you last successfully calibrated it. Recalibrating before every flight only introduces possible new bad compass readings that overwrite your good compass reading. Once you get a good one, leave it alone, unless you have travelled a long ways away.:cool:

Just wifi off. Though I used my old s5 with no cell service on it and it worked beautifully.

With my old S3, I did not need to use Airplane mode. I only did it to keep away the phone calls / texts while flying.

My S5 is another story. If I don't fly in airplane mode, my FPV, with a RE700 range extender, is good for about 100'. If I am in airplane mode, 1500'+ is possible.

With my old S3, I did not need to use Airplane mode. I only did it to keep away the phone calls / texts while flying.

My S5 is another story. If I don't fly in airplane mode, my FPV, with a RE700 range extender, is good for about 100'. If I am in airplane mode, 1500'+ is possible.

I am new to this forum and have been doing a lot of research on other forums. I just ordered a P3P yesterday and expect it this week. I plan on using my S5 for FPV. Are there any suggestions you may have for FPV? I read on another forum that disabling "Google Play Services" helped.

I am new to this forum and have been doing a lot of research on other forums. I just ordered a P3P yesterday and expect it this week. I plan on using my S5 for FPV. Are there any suggestions you may have for FPV? I read on another forum that disabling "Google Play Services" helped.
I fly a P2V, so I cannot state categorically..... However, I have had no issues with Google Play Services. I have issues with radio intereference which is the major reason for flying with the phone in airplane mode. The other is to get rid of interruptions.

I don't like to fly in airplane mode, because you loose the gps, and cannot assign the home point to the radio. I like to assign the home point to were I am, not from the take of. Just turn off WiFi and notification and you're good to go

I use a Galaxy Note 2...when I am in airplane mode, I still have GPS.

Also wanted to mention....I have been having signal strength problems (P3P)...sometimes just a few hundred feet out and I get "very poor" signal strength (as defined by HealthyDrones.com), and yes, I make sure my antennas are properly oriented (or course 90 degrees to the direction of the P3).

Anyway I put my phone in airplane mode, and my signal strength all the way out to a mile, was PERFECT.

Now one flight doesn't necc tell the whole tale, but it's a promising start.

s same here newbie flyer with a note 4 and aside from my phone running hot, it doesn't crash and I've ran my battery to like 8%! Only thing I can say is make sure all your apps are closed before starting the pilot app. Don't know if I'm just lucky but it's always worked for me .
i have a note 4 too, it gets really hot and drain the battery but never had an app crash.. i never get in to airplane mode, just turn off the wifi.

I know people here recommend flying with Cellular data off or airplane mode. When i flew with my phone I turned on do not disturb mode as to not get interrupted with calls. With my 4g iPad i see no reason to turn data off. I have seen no solid evidence that anyone has had a major issue due to cellular data being on. DJI themselves offer a live stream option. If cellular data or wifi was a major issue then I doubt they would include this option. The P3S even uses wifi to connect to the controller.

Also wanted to mention....I have been having signal strength problems (P3P)...sometimes just a few hundred feet out and I get "very poor" signal strength (as defined by HealthyDrones.com), and yes, I make sure my antennas are properly oriented (or course 90 degrees to the direction of the P3).

Anyway I put my phone in airplane mode, and my signal strength all the way out to a mile, was PERFECT.

Now one flight doesn't necc tell the whole tale, but it's a promising start.
This is what I tell people whenever they complain about lack of range. Your problems are now solved as you got rid of the radio interefernce.

I know people here recommend flying with Cellular data off or airplane mode. When i flew with my phone I turned on do not disturb mode as to not get interrupted with calls. With my 4g iPad i see no reason to turn data off. I have seen no solid evidence that anyone has had a major issue due to cellular data being on. DJI themselves offer a live stream option. If cellular data or wifi was a major issue then I doubt they would include this option. The P3S even uses wifi to connect to the controller.
Ultimately, I think the intereference is from Bluetooth, based on testing I did. I saw no differnce with cell data, I just don't want to be disturbed. Wifi on is a must for FPV.

The Pilot app allows you to change the Home Point you recorded at the time of launch to either the current location of the RC, or the current location of the aircraft. You must have an RC or tablet with GPS capability to do the former. The P3 RC does not have GPS, but the Inspire 1 RC does. So, using the P3 RC, to change the original HP at launch to the current RC location, you need either a cellular tablet, or one with built in GPS, or a BT connected external GPS, like a Bad Elf Pro.

Compass calibration does not set your home point, but the aircraft will, as it warms up and finds enough satellites. The original HP is set to the aircraft location, using the aircraft GPS.

Recalibrating your compass should only be necessary if your last compass calibration was faulty, or you are more than 50+ miles from where you last successfully calibrated it. Recalibrating before every flight only introduces possible new bad compass readings that overwrite your good compass reading. Once you get a good one, leave it alone, unless you have travelled a long ways away.:cool:
After the home point has been stored, I switch to airplane mode. In the past I forgot to this. Then you can end up with distracting messages like facebook :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20