Airmap vs B4UFly

D

Deleted member 109724

I'm trying to do real estate Photography, and I'm not sure if airmap completely replaces b4ufly. Can I throw out b4ufly? I like airmap way better, but I want to do everything legally, which gives the best and most accurate info, and can airports see my flight plans I post on airmap? I'm a part 107 operator, do I have to call the airports near me? Or does airmap take care of notifying airports? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do everything legally!:)

AirMap is far superior to B4UFLY, in my opinion.

There's no legal requirement to use B4UFLY.

If you are flying a Part 101 (hobby/recreation) flight, you still need to contact all airports if you are flying within 5 miles. And for Class B airspace, you must receive authorization from the tower before you fly. For other airspace, you are only required to notify the tower.

If you are flying a Part 107 flight, then you do not need to contact airports that do not have controlled airspace (ie are Class E and Class G).

For Class B, C, and D airspace, you need a waiver or authorization from the FAA before you fly in that controlled airspace.

You can notify some airports through the AirMap app using the LAANC program which is slowly being rolled out. You have to initiate this notification in the app. It's not automatic.
It’s Official: Nationwide Expansion of LAANC to 500 More Airports Begins Next Month - AirMap
FAA UAS Data Exchange

Otherwise, you have to apply through the FAA website and wait for the authorization to be approved.
Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

I'm trying to do real estate Photography, and I'm not sure if airmap completely replaces b4ufly. Can I throw out b4ufly? I like airmap way better, but I want to do everything legally, which gives the best and most accurate info, and can airports see my flight plans I post on airmap? I'm a part 107 operator, do I have to call the airports near me? Or does airmap take care of notifying airports? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do everything legally!:)

First off, unless something has changed recently B4UFLY is for hobbyist and doesn't give the information a Part 107 operator needs in order to operate within the FARs.

As of right now ATC is not getting your AirMap information.

Part 107 operations operate by the AIRSPACE you're flying in rather than "Call to Notify". As was stated in your previous "Calling all Airports" thread it's not a bad idea to notify an airport of where you're flying if you're in "G" airspace. If you're not in "G" then you are required to get an authorization from the FAA and that authorization will very specifically tell you if you're required to make notification, who you make it to, and how you make it. One of mine stated: Call KAVL Tower/Approach at XXX-XXX-XXXX 30 minutes prior to flight and then call immediately after flying to notify of completion". (or something like that)

AirMap does not relieve you of any of your responsibilities... at least not yet.

To request an Airspace Authorization/Waiver you start off via FAADroneZone and then follow that into your Part 107 Dashboard and then click on "Create Part 107 Waiver/Authorization"

I hate to be Debbie Downer here but you really NEED to spend some more time brushing up on Part 107 rules & regulations. There's so much more to it than "passing the test". You've got to be able to do this legally AND safely or you could be putting real human beings in jeopardy as well as our whole industry.

Reactions: godrocksu
Keep in mind you have McNary Field just North of you with a fairly large and "complicated" Airspace to deal with. It's Class DELTA so you need Authorization to fly in any portion of that area and other local airports coming into play around it.

Is this real life?

Reactions: BigAl07
Is this real life?
Yes, this is real, I'm just trying to figure this stuff out before actually starting, I have a photographer waiting for me to do some jobs for her soon, but I don't want to break any laws. Thanks for your help.

Yes, this is real, I'm just trying to figure this stuff out before actually starting, I have a photographer waiting for me to do some jobs for her soon, but I don't want to break any laws. Thanks for your help.
From the questions you are asking here and in your other thread linked above, it sounds like you would be well advised to go back and do some additional studying on the airspace, what the types are, and what rules apply to drone flights in the various airspaces.

If you intend to make a real business out of this, you might be well served to pay for one of the Part 107 courses to review that material. Or else at least find some additional resource material to study.

From the questions you are asking here and in your other thread linked above, it sounds like you would be well advised to go back and do some additional studying on the airspace, what the types are, and what rules apply to drone flights in the various airspaces.

If you intend to make a real business out of this, you might be well served to pay for one of the Part 107 courses to review that material. Or else at least find some additional resource material to study.
Thanks, I'll do that! Thank you all for your good advice. :)

I'm in 100% agreement with @barefootbeachcombing above. This is the Real Deal for many of us and it's in all of our best interest to be honest and potentially help you get on the right path. We have too much to lose to look the other way and let you fail and/or potentially get someone hurt.

Keep in mind you have McNary Field just North of you with a fairly large and "complicated" Airspace to deal with. It's Class DELTA so you need Authorization to fly in any portion of that area and other local airports coming into play around it.
BTW, BigAL07, how were you able to find out where I live? Just curious.

BTW, BigAL07, how were you able to find out where I live? Just curious.

You're too young to appreciate this but some of the old folks here might get it:

(said in a very heavy Asian accent)
"Ancient Chinese Secret"

I'm in 100% agreement with @barefootbeachcombing above. This is the Real Deal for many of us and it's in all of our best interest to be honest and potentially help you get on the right path. We have too much to lose to look the other way and let you fail and/or potentially get someone hurt.
You're too young to appreciate this but some of the old folks here might get it:

(said in a very heavy Asian accent)
"Ancient Chinese Secret"
Don't know what it means but thanks! (And ha ha ha...)

Reactions: DKG13CC and cfd701
Not only do you have the FAA rules to deal with, there are state and local regulations as well for flying commercially (for hire). Here in Minnesota, I had to register my drone as a commercial aircraft and get a license to fly commercially in this state. (sales or use tax, license fee and registration fee, proof of insurance) I think that sums it up. Get out the checkbook.

AirMap is far superior to B4UFLY, in my opinion.

There's no legal requirement to use B4UFLY.

If you are flying a Part 101 (hobby/recreation) flight, you still need to contact all airports if you are flying within 5 miles. And for Class B airspace, you must receive authorization from the tower before you fly. For other airspace, you are only required to notify the tower.

If you are flying a Part 107 flight, then you do not need to contact airports that do not have controlled airspace (ie are Class E and Class G).

For Class B, C, and D airspace, you need a waiver or authorization from the FAA before you fly in that controlled airspace.

You can notify some airports through the AirMap app using the LAANC program which is slowly being rolled out. You have to initiate this notification in the app. It's not automatic.
It’s Official: Nationwide Expansion of LAANC to 500 More Airports Begins Next Month - AirMap
FAA UAS Data Exchange

Otherwise, you have to apply through the FAA website and wait for the authorization to be approved.
Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

Very well stated and succinct. Good job for taking the time to sum that up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31