No Accurate Airspace Maps for Drones Other Than Skyward?

Reaction score
I'm beside myself regarding the lack of a comprehensive, easy to use, free airspace map for Drone Operators, other than Skyward which nows costs money.

Here's what I'm looking for.... Enter an address and tell me (a) any restrictions that apply to a Part 107 Drone Operator flying under 400 feet, and (b) if the location is within the FAA Facilities Map which *supposedly* has a faster authorization process.

So let's take a look at a few common tools and their short comings...

FAA's own map - ArcGIS Web Application (why the ridiculously long URL I don't know but hey, it's the government so what do I expect.)

What's the problem with it? When you turn on all the different airspace classes (B, C, D) it shows you areas on the map for those classes but where the lower altitude limit is above 400ft which therefore wouldn't apply to drones. For example look at Downtown San Francisco, CA. Turn on Class B layer (upper right corner layer icon) and it will show downtown as being in Class B airspace but click on downtown and you'll find it's only down to 700 feet!

Airmap - AirMap Web App

Look at Las Vegas, NV. Select Part 107. It shows much of the outlying area as not being in controlled airspace such as the Callagan Military Medical Center at 4700 N Las Vegas Blvd, Nellis AFB, NV 89191. This is actually in Class B airspace with a lower limit of 0 ft. But airmap doesn't tell you that. In fact a HUGE area outside of Vegas is all in Class B down to the ground. Feel sorry for commercial pilots trying to fly in the Vegas area! In addition there are areas where Airmap is missing the facilities map - such as Seattle, WA.

Know Before You Fly - U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly

Try the same address for the medical center. This one also doesn't show it's in Class B. And if you click on it it gives you a hobby warning that you are within the Airforce Base airspace.

Skyward doesn't show the FAA Facilities Map.

So essentially as far as I have found, there is no accurate airspace map for Drone Operators that shows you both the Facilities map areas and the controlled airspace for below 400 ft.

What the hell is going on? How can these companies put services online to the public that aren't accurate? I almost flew in a controlled area the other day relying on Airmap!

airmap makes its clear that...

"Any and all airspace maps, airspace data and flight restrictions provided through the Apps (a) may contain inaccuracies and are provided for informational purposes only, (b) do not constitute an official aeronautical source, (c) are not exhaustive and (d) may not be updated regularly or monitored for compliance. Even though the Apps may designate a map area as open or free of flight restrictions, this does not mean that we recommend that area for drone flight and we cannot guarantee that you may legally operate your UAV within that area."

With drone laws still being written and air space being divided further, private companies have to protect themselves otherwise they'll get sued when some hotshot flys into a controlled area relying solely on their product. You're smart doing your due diligence checking all the various maps, that's the kind of thinking that is gonna keep you out of trouble.

Would it be great if there was one that was accurate? Yes!! Will someone take on the liability for inaccuracies? No!! That why you need to know how to read a Sectional Chart...plain and simple...then the buck stops with you...

Hey all -
Skyward has a free pilot account option that includes LAANC (in the active airports - currently 4 - SJC, LNK, CVG, RNO) and the airspace map with current/future TFRs. You can access the pilot account here: www.skyward.io/signup We also have a sectional chart map view.

Full disclosure: I work for Skyward :)

Jess

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik