After a failed software upgrade phantom is bricked, HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
So I have looked up all and every forum and tried almost every solution i can find but I didn't find a solution yet. So i'm wandering if anyone has had a similar thing happen and have fixed it or know the cause of the issue.

So here are the details:

It's a phantom 3 pro, was running FW 1.7.6+ which had a bug and wasn't upgrading but kept complaining it needed to be upgraded, after spending a while trying to upgrade I found the way to downgrade using the RC connect button and managed to successfully downgrade to FW 1.1.5, the drone seemed to work fine then and i tried upgrading to FW 1.1.9 and it was installing normally but took about 45mins and by that time the battery ran out. When i turned it on the install had reverted back to 1.1.5 and the log file just said "updating........." ( i accidentally formatted the card with this, so don't have it)

So ever since then no matter which version of firmware i try to upgrade to hasn't worked, the drone turns on and connects to the app/RC find, but i don't have GPS, motors don't run, camera doesn't work sometimes and the status bar says NO SIGNAL. The rear LED's flash yellow even when the RC is connected.

When i try the force upgrade/downgrade method using the RC connect button, the rear LED flash's yellow and the gimbal LED flashes bursts of green intermediately.

There are no LOG files created on the card, not even in the hidden folders, however it makes the DCIM folder each time i format it and re-insert it. Basically it doesn't even try to read the file.

So if someone can give me any help or a path i should look at, would be greatly appropriated, been trying for over a week and i'm out of ideas.

FW files can be downloaded from Phantomhelp.com ..... put it on SD card root and try.

I can say though that my P3P when I downgraded FW bricked and I had to send to DJI ... who found one board bricked .... they replaced and all's fine ... but it was not cheap.

Nigel

was running FW 1.7.6+ which had a bug and wasn't upgrading

What bug? How wasn't upgrading?

after spending a while trying to upgrade I found the way to downgrade using the RC connect button and managed to successfully downgrade to FW 1.1.5

So you downgraded in hope this will then allow upgrade?

the install had reverted back to 1.1.5 and the log file just said "updating........." ( i accidentally formatted the card with this, so don't have it)

The drone has no option to revert upgrading even when it's failing.

Anyway, you should work on getting that log - the camera has it, you just need to force it to write file to sd-card.

camera doesn't work sometimes and the status bar says NO SIGNAL

Please elaborate.

The rear LED's flash yellow even when the RC is connected.

This seem to contradict itself; what lead you to conclusion that RC is connected even though lights are yellow?
Anyway, first thing - relink.

There are no LOG files created on the card, not even in the hidden folders, however it makes the DCIM folder each time i format it and re-insert it.

The conclusion here is that Ambarella module works and sees your SD-card, which is good.
I'm sure you can find a way to make it create the logs.

FW files can be downloaded from Phantomhelp.com ..... put it on SD card root and try.

I can say though that my P3P when I downgraded FW bricked and I had to send to DJI ... who found one board bricked .... they replaced and all's fine ... but it was not cheap.

Nigel

Since the Phantom is one PCB did they just replace the whole board?

What bug? How wasn't upgrading?

So you downgraded in hope this will then allow upgrade?

The drone has no option to revert upgrading even when it's failing.

Anyway, you should work on getting that log - the camera has it, you just need to force it to write file to sd-card.

Please elaborate.

This seem to contradict itself; what lead you to conclusion that RC is connected even though lights are yellow?
Anyway, first thing - relink.

The conclusion here is that Ambarella module works and sees your SD-card, which is good.
I'm sure you can find a way to make it create the logs.

I have no idea what the bug was but I lost camera, the DJI logo came up, kept asking me to update the firmware on the drone and camera, didn't let me fly or anything.

I shall do some more digging on the forcing the gimbal to write but do you have any ideas?

And yes it is very contradictory statement and that is why i think it is bricked because it makes no sense, to add to it the gimbal also does the weird dancing thing at times too, but yes i shall look into getting a log but all the hidden folders are empty

using the RC connect button and managed to successfully downgrade to FW 1.1.5
Huh? Used the RC to downgrade the AC? Also, was there ever a 1.1.5 version of FW for the P3P? Seems like I have never heard of that version mentioned here for a P3.

it was installing normally but took about 45mins and by that time the battery ran out.
Oh no, this could be bad. During all of these FW changes and sitting for 45 minutes updating, did you have a fan blowing on your P3P gimbal? Brah, if not you could have really done some damage to the camera board.

Since the Phantom is one PCB did they just replace the whole board?

Its a while back now ... if I remember rightly - its the OBD board ... where the P3P went through 3 versions. The first two versions, in particular the first, were prone to blowing out and caused various bricked units. Mine was one of them.

I'm sure someone else can give the right name for the board.

Its all talked about on Github where open source people talk through and develop many items.

Nigel

Thank you for the link ... the page referencing the boards I refer to :

o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

Having spent a long session with DJI guys and why my P3P bricked ... they spent a lot of time mentioning the problems of each successive board and that as FW advanced ... the boards were found to be unsuitable ... in plain street language. Its way back now and I cannot recall the exact reasons ... but anyway ... early boards are prone to blow as mine did.

Nigel

Huh? Used the RC to downgrade the AC? Also, was there ever a 1.1.5 version of FW for the P3P? Seems like I have never heard of that version mentioned here for a P3.

Oh no, this could be bad. During all of these FW changes and sitting for 45 minutes updating, did you have a fan blowing on your P3P gimbal? Brah, if not you could have really done some damage to the camera board.

I said the RC connect button, ie, the hard reset method and it was sitting in an AC room under the fan yes so overheating shouldn't have been an issue

Reactions: JoBe
Its a while back now ... if I remember rightly - its the OBD board ... where the P3P went through 3 versions. The first two versions, in particular the first, were prone to blowing out and caused various bricked units. Mine was one of them.

I'm sure someone else can give the right name for the board.

Its all talked about on Github where open source people talk through and develop many items.

Nigel
Awesome thank you, i shall have a look

Thank you for the link ... the page referencing the boards I refer to :

o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

Having spent a long session with DJI guys and why my P3P bricked ... they spent a lot of time mentioning the problems of each successive board and that as FW advanced ... the boards were found to be unsuitable ... in plain street language. Its way back now and I cannot recall the exact reasons ... but anyway ... early boards are prone to blow as mine did.

Nigel

o-gs/dji-hardware-schematics

according to this isn't the OFDM board responsible for the communication and not the gimbal control/sd card control?

My plan was to disassemble it eventually and start replacing the boards but i wanted to if there was a way to fix it without doing that first.

All I know is when mine blew ... all I got was flashing red lights etc.- with no comms or control wahtsoever.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.