Aerial Freaks Cyclops FC40 Brushless Gimbal

UnkleFrank said:
Found it exactly where you described. Thanks.
Interesting thing is, the camera frame, mounted on the gimbal extends below the bottom of my landing skids. Anyone else see this problem?
Guess I will be buying the longer skids.
Thanks for your help
Frank
I mounted my legs om 25mm hex pillars. Male M3 thread on one side to screw into the Phantom and female M3 on the other side so that the normal screws can screw the legs onto the pillars.

Very cool! I like the rubber bands on the camera. That looks like a good idea. And is that the compass mounted on top?

UnkleFrank said:
Very cool! I like the rubber bands on the camera. That looks like a good idea. And is that the compass mounted on top?
Yeah. Had to move the compass up since the gimbal has massive magnets not only in the brushless motors but also for position feedback and they weren't getting along... the craft would start the well-known toilet bowl effect... just ten times bigger and faster...

The rubberbands on camera is just me being lazy. The gimbal is made to accept the GoPro but I just don't want to risk it yet. The FC40 camera doesn't mount on the gimbal without some love... So I 3D printed a part that has the GoPro's back size and that accepts the FC40 in the front. Then all that needs to be kept in place non-permanently - hence the rubber band.

I first just tested with the compass hot glue gunned to the top and when that worked I made a hole through the lid with a soldering iron next to the GPS module. Then I just ran the cable through the hole, remounted the compass and have since fitted a spray can lid with a hotglue gun to just keep the dust out. Looks like a security Phantom now :-D

I posted some pictures of mine on here with the mobius, very easy to mount, if you want to get rid of that thing they call a camera :twisted: didnt have to change any settings, what I did was take the front plate off, lay the back plate flat, used the carbon fiber part that came with it , drilled a hole in the center, put that under the bottom screw into camera , put some padding under camera to stop it from moving, plus helps with vibes, and I happy as pig is $hit with it, :idea:

With the Aerial Freaks gimbal, you can adjust the camera angle. There is a button on the electronics board which you push and hold for 1 second, then move the FC 40 camera to the angel you want and hold it there for a few seconds. The roll angle can't be changed (not that you'd want to). The gimbal does add some weight to the Phantom assembly and I'd estimate that I lose about 10% flight time vs. without the gimbal installed because of the increased weight and the power required to run the gimbal. But to me it's a small price to pay for steady videos.
I have tried this with my gimbal but it will work. Just sits there a jitters. It did adjust upward instead of down. Any ideas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers