Aerial Freaks Cyclops FC40 Brushless Gimbal

Hi. I just installed the Cyclops Aerial Freaks gimbal yesterday. I had a few problems for which you should probably be prepared. First, they don't include the allen wrench needed to install the gimbal frame to the carbon fiber board. I had to make a 20 mile trip to my ACE hardware store to purchase it so I could get past the second assembly step of. You'd think that they would include a 50 cent allen wrench in a $250 kit. It's a very small metric allen wrench. Next problem is that the 2 screws included are two short to install the electronics carbon fiber board to the phantom (it goes in place of the standard camera mount). So save the old screws and use them temporarily until you can make another trip back to the hardware store and purchase the correct length screws.

But once all those issues were resolved, the gimbal works great. It maintains a steady camera position even when the Phantom twists and turns. I've only made one test flight so far as the wind has been calm here in Sedona since I installed the gimbal. This afternoon, the wind is forecast to increase and I'll do some more flying. I'm interested to see if my flying time is reduced because of the power required to operate the gimbal.

Thank you red_one and hiker, I appreciate the replies. I am gonna try a similar set-up to the one you posted red, simply attaching the FC40 camera with velcro.

Hi, I'm considering one of these gimbals as I'm more than happy with the FC40 camera.
Is it possible to alter the tilt via the Naza from the controller (obviously after fitting lever) or is it truly plug & play.
If it is then it seems worth the money.
Cheers guys.

With the Aerial Freaks gimbal, you can adjust the camera angle. There is a button on the electronics board which you push and hold for 1 second, then move the FC 40 camera to the angel you want and hold it there for a few seconds. The roll angle can't be changed (not that you'd want to). The gimbal does add some weight to the Phantom assembly and I'd estimate that I lose about 10% flight time vs. without the gimbal installed because of the increased weight and the power required to run the gimbal. But to me it's a small price to pay for steady videos.

The gimbal is easy to install and works great. Just make sure your settings are the way you want them on Assistant because you cannot get to the USB port on the Phantom unless you completely uninstall the gimbal mount.

Sorry I can't help. I've given up on using the FPV/wifi connection with my FC40 camera. It's been too unreliable. So I now manually turn on the camera just before liftoff. That way I'm almost positive I'll get some uninterrupted video from the flight.

better yet, drop that fc40 camera from as high as you can, then get a nice mobius, what a piece o **** that fc40 cam is

I've also realized how useless the FC40 cam can be...and to buy a $250 gimbal for only 250 feet of range is just not worth it at all.

For hiker...
I see you've successfully installed the AerialFreaks Cyclops Gimbal for the DJI FC40. I've just purchased one for mine. Can you tell me where you got the power cable from on the FC40? The directions show it coming down one of the legs. On my legs I just have the antennaes.
Thanks,
Frank

mine was on the right hand front , its there, you may have to open her up. I had to to get at it, when you find you may want to put a plug on it , that way you can un plug it if your not using it, I put a switch on it as well. little jr switch $ 4.00, use one for my lights as well

Thanks, pert. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to open the body up. I'll give it a try. Good idea on the plug for the power cable.
Frank

I didn't have to open mine up - the wire was sticking out of the body about 1/4 inch so all I had to do is grab it and pull it out. I soldered the gimbal wires to the "power" wires but now thinking of installing a quick disconnect if I can find one somewhere. That way, I can go back to the standard gimbal on days with no wind and increase my flight times.

Interesting. I'll take another look but I don't think there is a wire with red and black extending below.
Thanks,
Frank

If you look closely at the bottom of the arms you will see a small black rubber bung. If you look closely at that you may just see a pair of wires cut level to it or perhaps slightly recessed. Those are the ones you want. If they are pushed in a bit you'll probably need to slit the FC40 and push them down a touch so you can pull them through.

Found it exactly where you described. Thanks.
Interesting thing is, the camera frame, mounted on the gimbal extends below the bottom of my landing skids. Anyone else see this problem?
Guess I will be buying the longer skids.
Thanks for your help
Frank

Molokai said:
Thank you red_one and hiker, I appreciate the replies. I am gonna try a similar set-up to the one you posted red, simply attaching the FC40 camera with velcro.
This doesn't work very well - I get a lot of jitter on my gimbal like this. I think the camera and mount needs to be rather tight together for the sensor to pick up the actual camera movements.

pert said:
better yet, drop that fc40 camera from as high as you can, then get a nice mobius, what a &#&&&#*(( that fc40 cam is
I'm actually very happy with my FC40 camera - I find it quite nice and useful, and much less risk than my GoPro...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik