Advantages on the Phantom 3P over Inspire 1

I allready own a p3p and debating buying a dual cont inspire but just not sure

Only you can decide The inspire build quality is amazing and you will spent as much time looking at it as flying it.. it flys differently to the phantom more locked in and I have flown mine in 25mph wind and it was total safe

buy it coz you want it and not because it's the coolest quad out there at this time...

maybe a s/hand one would be a cheaper option.. I bought mine on Ebay and saved £600 or $1000 and then not such a big money jump from the P3P

pop over to DJI inspire pilots.com and do some research first

The guy flying the inspire in the video below, quite clearly states that he could not do this video with a Phantom
That video was made back in March, well before the release of the P3 so when he says he couldn't do this with the Phantom, he's referring to the P2 series.
The P3 will also handle that sort of range because it has the same systems as the Inspire.
Here's a post about a similar distance flight that I did with the P3
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/offshore.45190/#post-416562
Several others have flown much farther (up to 10 km).

I allready own a p3p and debating buying a dual cont inspire but just not sure

Dual controllers on a single camera aerial platform is a dumb idea. The pilot and the camera operator share 1 common FPV feed and this becomes very confusing and disorienting for the pilot unless he switches to map mode and flies LOS.
I think Aerial Media Pros has the right idea by combining a separate 5.8Ghz analogue FPV system for the pilot. I cant find the link. This is a similar system:

What I like about the P3 is that the controls are in the right place and with a little practice, you can achieve tilt+yaw+direction without having to scream to the other pilot/camera operator.

Is there any advantages on the Phantom 3P over the Inspire 1, other than the price of course?
Maybe something that is better on the Phantom 3P or something that can be done on the P3P that can't be done on the Inspire 1?

I would appreciate to hear what you think?

No other than price and that its portable enough to take on a plane as carry on luggage in a backpack. Really the portability for travel anywhere is main advantage over inspire. That and maybe flying indoors since its smaller or through a tight gap.

Reactions: RedRyderMedia
Thanks but i just wondered what the flight time is in norma conditions on the inspire 1, i guess p
Don't buy an inspire 1. Go over to the DJI forum and do your homework before buying. Any malfunction has to be sent in for repair. They are not user serviceable for the most part. So then you have to deal with the other side of DJI which is their customer service. Please read up before you make the purchase. Be happy with the phantom 3. At least you can avoid customer service to a greater extent and make some of your own repairs. Video quality is about the same on both. You gain more speed with the inspire. The coolness factor leaves your body once you need CS

Okay so there is no licensed repair shops for the Inspire 1 other than DJI?

And does DJI have any repair locations in Europe? If yes...in what countries? Or are the broken drones sent to China or the US for repair?

Thanks but i just wondered what the flight time is in norma conditions on the inspire 1, i guess p

Okay so there is no licensed repair shops for the Inspire 1 other than DJI?

And does DJI have any repair locations in Europe? If yes...in what countries? Or are the broken drones sent to China or the US for repair?
Germany has one. And their are better consumer protection laws in other areas than the united states. Your best bet would be to ask your question on the german forum for the inspire. I don't know the link but came across it at one point.

In the US, there's only one repair location and they are severely back logged

One feature I didn't see pointed out is the GPS system. The P3 has both GPS and GLONASS, giving it a much larger body of satellites to work off of. The Inspire only uses GPS and has lower positioning accuracy because of that.

I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything that states otherwise...

Also, I can't say enough about the importance of portability if you travel. Many people have mentioned that as a feature of the P3 but it's really a very big deal. I've said this in other threads but I can, and have, put the P3 in a backpack to haul it up mountains or through the woods. That would be a lot harder with a bigger device. Who care if the Inspire "looks more professional"? Climb half a mile up a mountain with the Inspire and then tell me how you feel about your image when you get to the top.

Dual controllers on a single camera aerial platform is a dumb idea. The pilot and the camera operator share 1 common FPV feed and this becomes very confusing and disorienting for the pilot unless he switches to map mode and flies LOS.
I think Aerial Media Pros has the right idea by combining a separate 5.8Ghz analogue FPV system for the pilot. I cant find the link. This is a similar system:

What I like about the P3 is that the controls are in the right place and with a little practice, you can achieve tilt+yaw+direction without having to scream to the other pilot/camera operator.
This will more than likely be an inspire 2 quality. Having a forward camera and a gimbal. I had a dealer for the inspire tell me that he strongly thought this would be on the inspire 2. He also thought that instead of the slave controller sharing the connection off the master controller, each controller would have it's own connection via lightbridge. It's speculation.

One feature I didn't see pointed out is the GPS system. The P3 has both GPS and GLONASS, giving it a much larger body of satellites to work off of. The Inspire only uses GPS and has lower positioning accuracy because of that.

I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything that states otherwise...
Yes .. you are wrong about that.
The Inspire has the same insides that the Phantom 3 does including the GPS system.
The P3 is an Inspire in a compact Phantom shell.

I love P3, but dual controller feature of the Inspire for serious video/photography is a must. You realize it soon with P3. When working on a subject it's a really big mess driving, orienting, moving and shooting. To deal with 360° camera gimbal will be a big plus, not worring about flying commands.

I love P3, but dual controller feature of the Inspire for serious video/photography is a must. You realize it soon with P3. When working on a subject it's a really big mess driving, orienting, moving and shooting. To deal with 360° camera gimbal will be a big plus, not worring about flying commands.

^^ agree although I think having some programmable aerial functions would help too, not just having 2 separate controllers. I've seen other UAV brands that have things like 180/360 degree, or back and up modes where it helps with video/photo shots. I would love to see this with the DJI Pilot app. Currently DJI's Ground Control has some of this and would like to see those functions added to the Pilot app.

uh... not sure I agree with this. To operate at 2 efficiently, you need 2 cams, and the inspire as only1 AFAIK. (there is an upgradeapparently, but without it I wonder how the pilot can rely on a camera that moves at 360 degrees... Sometimes you need the FPV to know where you are.)

uh... not sure I agree with this. To operate at 2 efficiently, you need 2 cams, and the inspire as only1 AFAIK. (there is an upgradeapparently, but without it I wonder how the pilot can rely on a camera that moves at 360 degrees... Sometimes you need the FPV to know where you are.)

You are mostly right, but for what I have seen, professional video maker works in los all the time, so separate fpv is not so important for them.

You are mostly right, but for what I have seen, professional video maker works in los all the time, so separate fpv is not so important for them.
Well, I own an S900 configured for 2 operators, so I know exactly what I am talking about. When your camera op is panning around a POI and you go straight to allow him to do his shot, if you don't have the FPV to tell you exactly where you are, you cold end up very easily in a tree, a wall or something, specially if all of this is happening in the distance. Los is not enough, not mentioning the orientation problem.This is why I have not only 2 but 3 cams as a standard installation on the 900 ( I mean, it's not a mod). 1 front facing, 1 vertical facing, and the GH4 Panasonic to shoot the video. This is the standard configuration for professionals working as a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctp
I would buy the Inspire just for the design if I could afford it, that thing looks really cool.

P3 looking like a toy is an advantage if you have to deal with pissed off people/authorities.
The Inspire should have more flight time for the asking price IMHO, plus that extra battery price is outrageous.

If sterile Hospital white doesn't appeal to you, Pick your favorite color...

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can change the Phantom 3 exterior to suit you better.

Personally I like white, as it's very visible and stays cool under pressure...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: SteelGator

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl