Advantages on the Phantom 3P over Inspire 1

Reaction score
Is there any advantages on the Phantom 3P over the Inspire 1, other than the price of course?
Maybe something that is better on the Phantom 3P or something that can be done on the P3P that can't be done on the Inspire 1?

I would appreciate to hear what you think?

Im considering also buying an inspire i have a p3p now i know this isnt an inspire forum but advice greatly appreciated before i do anything

Portability.
Weight.
Flight times (arguable).
Less moving parts.
More users, more support.
3rd generation.
2 models to choose from.
Get more chances when crashing..
Not beta testers like the inspire.

So what did Mako79 meant? Do the Inspire 1 has a more unstable firmware with more problems? I thought that those problems were sorted out and that it currently has not more problems than the P3?

The Inspire is a mature platform now but the early owners had to be very patient as a few bugs had to be ironed out.
The Phantom 3 owners benefited as most of the Inspire systems are in the P3.
The Inspire is bigger and heavier so is more trouble to carry around.
The P3 is ready to fly in only a minute but it takes a bit more to unpack and set up an Inspire.
The Inspire flies and descends faster (22 m/s & 4 m/s - P3 15 m/s & 3 m/s) but has a shorter flight time 18 mins vs 23 mins.
Camera is the same but can be rotated 360º and operated by a second person on the Inspire.

Both great flying cameras with their own advantages.
The P3 is the affordable and easily portable one.

Thanks for the answer. What about the lightbridge system in both of the drones, are they exactly the same with no difference at all?
The flying time is an important thing and the portability as well.

And how about the issue of props and landing gears being visible in the shots on the P3, is that really happening often in regular flying or does it only happen with a more aggressive flying style?

I own both and you just really cannot compare the difference.. the p3 has it's advantages.. portability, weight.. etc
The inspire is heavier and yes there have been some issues,, but none that really distract from it presence in the air or the possibilities of the camera operation in the air...

Buy what you feel comfortable with.. if the Phantom 3 is in your price range buy it and enjoy

If you have the funds to buy the inspire and want a stable platform that can fly in high winds and shoot amazing video's then go for it

The most obvious image to other people is that the phantom range looks like a toy compare with the inspire

The guy flying the inspire in the video below, quite clearly states that he could not do this video with a Phantom

Last edited:
If you crash a Phantom, you are only out about a thousand bucks, if you crash an Inspire, you are out about three thousand bucks. Double those totals if you decide to get another one. I'm not saying you are going to crash either one, but the possibility is there every time you take it up.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
The most obvious image to other people is that the phantom range looks like a toy compare with the inspire

The guy flying the inspire in the video below, quite clearly states that he could not do this video with a Phantom

Actually that is one of the reasons i hesitate to buy the P3, since i think it looks too much as a toy even though i now it is certainly not a toy, but thats the feeling i get when I'm looking at it, but otherwise i really like the Phantom series.
I wish they would have built it with a different look and not so plastic.
But of course the main thing is to be able to get as good shots as possible.

Did he say why he couldn't have done it with a P3? Too much wind or maybe because of the camera?

The flight time is pretty important to me, is the official fight times about right, 18 minutes vs 23 minutes?

Thanks for the answer. What about the lightbridge system in both of the drones, are they exactly the same with no difference at all?
No big difference in the controllers - they are almost identical.
The Inspire Tx has GPS built in - the P3 users need to have a GPS enabled tablet to use dynamic home point.
The Inspire Tx also has an HDMI out port.

The Inspire is a mature platform now but the early owners had to be very patient as a few bugs had to be ironed out.
The Phantom 3 owners benefited as most of the Inspire systems are in the P3.
The Inspire is bigger and heavier so is more trouble to carry around.
The P3 is ready to fly in only a minute but it takes a bit more to unpack and set up an Inspire.
The Inspire flies and descends faster (22 m/s & 4 m/s - P3 15 m/s & 3 m/s) but has a shorter flight time 18 mins vs 23 mins.
Camera is the same but can be rotated 360º and operated by a second person on the Inspire.

Both great flying cameras with their own advantages.
The P3 is the affordable and easily portable one.
Btw the p3 ascends faster then the inspired 1 on a 90° angle, due to its weight and portability

No big difference in the controllers - they are almost identical.
The Inspire Tx has GPS built in - the P3 users need to have a GPS enabled tablet to use dynamic home point.
The Inspire Tx also has an HDMI out port.

Yes I've heard about the dynamic home point, very nice feature. Okay so the Inspire remote has the GPS built in, i thought it also needed to use the GPS of the phone. Nice.

Actually that is one of the reasons i hesitate to buy the P3, since i think it looks too much as a toy.

The flight time is pretty important to me, is the official fight times about right, 18 minutes vs 23 minutes?
The P3 won't attract much attention because it looks so harmless.
The Inspire will attract a lot more attention.
Another advantage is that some countries have or will have special rules to allow commercial use without a licence for under 2kg machines like the Phantom.
Quoted flight times are maximum under ideal conditions and going right down close to zero battery.
Under real world conditions you need to take a few minutes off because it's not safe to fly down to zero.
18-19 mins for the P3 is achievable and still have 20% when you land. Inspire will be something less than this.

So is it safe to say that you get about 15 minutes of flying time with the Inspire 1 under normal conditions?

Don't buy an inspire 1. Go over to the DJI forum and do your homework before buying. Any malfunction has to be sent in for repair. They are not user serviceable for the most part. So then you have to deal with the other side of DJI which is their customer service. Please read up before you make the purchase. Be happy with the phantom 3. At least you can avoid customer service to a greater extent and make some of your own repairs. Video quality is about the same on both. You gain more speed with the inspire. The coolness factor leaves your body once you need CS

Dji are in the process of appointing UK service agents for the inspire and Phanton 3 .................Heli Guy in UK supports the Phantom range and hopefully soon the Inspire

The thing is ... don't throw either 1k or 3k in the air and hope to catch it

They will both crash at sometime in their life.. some survive and some don't

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20