Adobe Premiere Pro

Reaction score
Hi all, im a new p4p owner and have a few questions. For editing photos ive just gone and got the monthly subscription for Photoshop and Lightroom. Having previously had a p3a i used Lightroom for all my stills, i didnt really do much video with it, but for any video i do make i use a cracked copy of premiere pro 2014 i think it is. I can handle lightroom no problem at all but premiere pro is an issue with colour grading/editing. was looking for something simple like a panel with exposure,contrast,highlights etc and i stumbled accross a thing online called lumetri panel which seems to be exactly what im looking for. is it only available in newer versions of premiere pro? if so where can i buy just a copy of the latest version? dont really want to be paying a hefty subscription for something i wont be using all the time?

Or can somebody post a link on how to colour grade in previous versions?
What is the best settings for video with p4p? ive read a bit about h.264 and h.265?
4k60? 4k30? 1080p 60?

Thanks guys

If you want free I think a lot of folks will direct you to try Davinci Resolve for free. You can do your color grading there. It will do what your wanting and prob be more simple to learn it too. 30 bucks for Premier is pretty steep. But it is a beast. Huge learning curve as I have been at it for a few months now.

Thanks for the reply, so can i do all my editing in PP then take it over to Davinci for grading? im already paying 10 a month for the other 2 programs. Ill maybe look in to what you recommend. You are correct saying pp is a beast.

Thanks for the reply, so can i do all my editing in PP then take it over to Davinci for grading? im already paying 10 a month for the other 2 programs. Ill maybe look in to what you recommend. You are correct saying pp is a beast.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can take it into Davinci to do your color grade. Yeah I'm at 48 bucks a month for everything basically. But I run a pro portrait studio with it. In bus for 32 years in fact. But I am like you new to video as of a year ago. And now I'm hooked on it. These birds have got me hooked on video of all kind actually. lol

yeah ill take a look at it and some tutorials online, like i said very basic software im needing so it will likely do the job. These birds are amazing, i cant believe all the negativity on the forums about them. the tech in these things is literally incredible. Do you do 4k video? what settings you running for that?

If I were you I would stay in DaVinci Resolve for the color correcting and editing. I suspect it has all of the editing tools you'll need and then you don't have to worry about the round tripping hassle. Resolve's color correcting tools are much better than anything you'll find in a stand alone NLE and there is the fact that it's free (and not an illegal copy). ;-)

yeah ill take a look at it and some tutorials online, like i said very basic software im needing so it will likely do the job. These birds are amazing, i cant believe all the negativity on the forums about them. the tech in these things is literally incredible. Do you do 4k video? what settings you running for that?
Yes, I do shoot 4k video. Most of the time at 30fps as I'm not really slowing anything down much at all yet. But I will be shooting some 60fps in the future for subjects that have some movement to them. But I try to keep my aperture between f4 and f5.6 1/2. This is the best aperture range for this lense and sensor which has been tested. Use 100 iso in daytime. Then I use what ND filter gets me to a 60th of a second with my shutter speed. Which is double the frame rate I use which will really make the footage have that cinema look. It's the magical amount of blur that comes with that equation of shutter to frame rate. So in the daytime I am using an ND 16 most of the time. And an 8 as it gets closer to dusk.

Exactly what JarrodF said sammackay. The Davinci Resolve 12 is the free version. I just downloaded and installed it myself. I'll play with it some as well.

Then I use what ND filter gets me to a 60th of a second with my shutter speed. Which is double the frame rate I use which will really make the footage have that cinema look.

Does this shutter speed also applies for sports too?

Does this shutter speed also applies for sports too?
Not really kemzo. This is the magic formula for very smooth buttery cinematic stuff like you see in the aerial b-roll in movies. If you are going to slow sports down in slo mo you can shoot at 60fps and play it back much slower and it looks super smooth. But this formula will def work if you just want your sports stuff to look smoother. The main diff if you jack your shutter speed up quite a bit faster than 60th your footage just looks kind of jittery like a horror film with blood spattering. They shoot that stuff at much faster shutter speeds to get that effect on purpose. But for aerial pretty you want to go with this double your shutter speed compared to your frame rate. Another thing with your sports is how close in your actually gonna get to them. So how fast they are moving in the frame is what I'm talking about basically. The faster they are moving in your frame means it might be a good idea to try shooting 60fps and then it will help smooth the movement some especially if you slow it down a tad.

Not really kemzo. This is the magic formula for very smooth buttery cinematic stuff like you see in the aerial b-roll in movies. If you are going to slow sports down in slo mo you can shoot at 60fps and play it back much slower and it looks super smooth. But this formula will def work if you just want your sports stuff to look smoother. The main diff if you jack your shutter speed up quite a bit faster than 60th your footage just looks kind of jittery like a horror film with blood spattering. They shoot that stuff at much faster shutter speeds to get that effect on purpose. But for aerial pretty you want to go with this double your shutter speed compared to your frame rate. Another thing with your sports is how close in your actually gonna get to them. So how fast they are moving in the frame is what I'm talking about basically. The faster they are moving in your frame means it might be a good idea to try shooting 60fps and then it will help smooth the movement some especially if you slow it down a tad.

Thanks for this info! This is for motocross , so they sometimes accelerate and also slow down, I'm very close to them and also use Osmo pro.

Thanks for this info! This is for motocross , so they sometimes accelerate and also slow down, I'm very close to them and also use Osmo pro.
If you get that close I would def go to 60fps man. It will smooth that out nice! Very welcome. Tear it up kemzo!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1