Adjustable Nd filters...which one is the best?

Adjustable ND's are very heavy filters as they have double-polarizers (glass). Plus, they can give you a dark "X" pattern if dialed too much. Better off getting the single ND16 or ND32 depending on your ambient light. The single ND screw-ons are probably the lightest ones out there that won't overload the gimbal as they have no separate moving parts either.

Personally, I find the polarizer doesn't work too well with the extreme wide lens on the Phantom as it darkens a portion of the sky and the remainder is too light on both sides. If you fly the same direction it's not as bad, but swing it around a bit and the sky gets a bit messy in exposure differences.

Maybe DJI Phantom 4 Filters - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection

Adjustable ND's are very heavy filters as they have double-polarizers (glass). Plus, they can give you a dark "X" pattern if dialed too much. Better off getting the single ND16 or ND32 depending on your ambient light. The single ND screw-ons are probably the lightest ones out there that won't overload the gimbal as they have no separate moving parts either.

Personally, I find the polarizer doesn't work too well with the extreme wide lens on the Phantom as it darkens a portion of the sky and the remainder is too light on both sides. If you fly the same direction it's not as bad, but swing it around a bit and the sky gets a bit messy in exposure differences.

Maybe DJI Phantom 4 Filters - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection
Thanks.... so are these any good? https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profe...F8&qid=1476659478&sr=8-1&keywords=neewer+nd64

Last edited:
They might work out. Theirs seems to be aluminum and the Polar Pro I have I think is plastic which might be lighter. Even their early push-ons were too big and heavy in plastic.

I will say one of my early Phantoms had the stripped threads and the original fllter would only rock back and forth and never unscrew so that bird got replaced for another. Aluminum strips too easy on fine threads, imho. The plastic might be more forgiving. I did add a bit of silicon grease to the new threads on the new bird's camera body, but I found that trying to clean the inside of the filter once the grease is in the threads makes it difficult to clean without smearing out onto the glass.

They seem to be slip on, so are these supposed to be a possible weight issue
Slip on filters are usually heavier than screw on filters. Some are also harder to install/remove and might not be as secure as a screw on filter.

Reactions: tml4191
Is there a reason that you are not getting the standard ND filters

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

After researching through some of these threads here, there seems to be a possible problem with the adjustable lenses. Something about the mechanic of it leads to some unwanted glare/dark spots/ (something like that) so I might be avoiding these overall. Thank you all for your input though. I was initially looking at these because of its all in one package.

Adjustable ND's are very heavy filters as they have double-polarizers (glass).
How about slip on filters that offer nd16/32/64? If the stock filter and a new slip on filter is applied, will the "x" still happen? I'll most likely pick up a straight nd filter, but it's nice to know.

Check out the filters from Taco.
https://www.amazon.com/TACO-RC-filters-Phantom-Professional-Advance/dp/B015CJRW90

4 filter set in a nice foam lined hard case. They are screw on, the same weight as the stock UV filter and excellent optical quality.
Thanks, but the shipping was a little slow for me, so I went with some polar pro cinema for the phantom 4. They were $60 new, so I called up polarpro to make sure they fit, and according to them they do, but the p4 polarpro lenses are little longer, so the fit isn't flush. For 40% off msrp, I went for it, so hopefully it works without out of focus problems or anything like that.

For those who end up using an adjustable ND filter, make sure you make markings to know what to use on bright/overcast/dark days.
You don't want to mess around second guessing.

Reactions: Falcon900
After researching through some of these threads here, there seems to be a possible problem with the adjustable lenses. Something about the mechanic of it leads to some unwanted glare/dark spots/ (something like that) so I might be avoiding these overall. Thank you all for your input though. I was initially looking at these because of its all in one package.

I think staying away from the adjustable ND is a wise choice. I haven't used one for the Phantom but I have for DSLRs and can say I won't use them as it reduces image quality

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: tml4191
They might work out. Theirs seems to be aluminum and the Polar Pro I have I think is plastic which might be lighter. Even their early push-ons were too big and heavy in plastic.

I will say one of my early Phantoms had the stripped threads and the original fllter would only rock back and forth and never unscrew so that bird got replaced for another. Aluminum strips too easy on fine threads, imho. The plastic might be more forgiving. I did add a bit of silicon grease to the new threads on the new bird's camera body, but I found that trying to clean the inside of the filter once the grease is in the threads makes it difficult to clean without smearing out onto the glass.
Kind of a side note.... NEVER put grease on aluminum threads. They will eventually lock up and strip out if you do. ALWAYS put Anti-Seize compoun, or grahphite, on Aluminum. This opinion is from hard-earned experience wit machines both big and small.

Kind of a side note.... NEVER put grease on aluminum threads. They will eventually lock up and strip out if you do. ALWAYS put Anti-Seize compoun, or grahphite, on Aluminum. This opinion is from hard-earned experience wit machines both big and small.
so rubbing it with a graphite pencil will work?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31