Add another fly away to the tally.

I was gonna comment on what I saw on the logs, but then you post another track this time flying beyond LoS with a drone with obvious problems, 1,5 miles from a regional airport.

Im going to get flamed for saying this, but thank God you lost your Phantom.
BS dude. I did not receive a single warning about flying in restricted airspace. Although the day before I got a warning from a different location, and ended up not taking off. Look UAV forecast. I am not flying in restricted airspace. I am not in a NFZ. I grew up there, and it is definitely not 1.5 miles. Even so, I contacted airport.

Let me guess, you're one of those guys that always flies 400 ft then RTH? You say drone with obvious problems? How am I supposed to know it had "obvious" problems, when this was the first compass error I received.

Really lame of you to assume that I was just flying recklessly and deserved to lose my phantom.
LAME.

Last edited:
Reactions: flpholt
Your log:

Measuring distance on google maps:

1.8 mile from the center of the main RW.

1.3 miles from the grass glider strip.

That you contacted and obtained permission from the ATC to fly nearly 400ft high, beyond visual range at less then 2 miles and directly in the flight path for one of the runways, allow me to seriously doubt that.

As for the sort of person I am, I am the sort that also flies full scale planes on airports like that, who also flies gliders and glider tow planes and could have been in short final towards the grass runway 36 at 400ft, right where you where flying.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-4_13-17-7.png
    upload_2016-7-4_13-17-7.png
    215.1 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Flying over a lake where I was, is not in the airplane flight path.
abe29d989051e2d0152c701ed77b1c74.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You really dont get it, kiddo, do you ? The DJI app doesnt tell you where its safe or legal to fly, it only prevents you to fly in some places that are UTTERLY unsafe. You where flying on the very edge of that space, beyond visual line, no where near legal, or for that matter, safe. This is the map you should have looked at:

And yes, FAA will allow to fly within that airspace, up to 5 miles from the airport, but even then only in so far you conform to all AMA guidelines, which you clearly where not, even if you had been 5 miles from it. Here's one hint: line of sight.

Now I dont care about trivial violations of airspace or drone regulation, Id lie if I said I always flew legal myself. But thats not the same as what you did. Be happy you lost your drone before you killed anyone or got caught endangering manned aviation.

old man, according to your logic..I shouldn't fly anywhere in that city. I'm clearly outside of the NFZ. I get your point. Being happy about someone's misfortune is lame. I wasn't that upset about losing the thing as I should have, because it could have been worse. I'm more upset that , a $1000 drone, should not lose it's compass midair, and RC signal like it did. Now go and bother someone else.

You really don't get it. The DJI NFZ is the absolute, don't go there area. But 400 ft, loss of VLOS, right at the edge of the NFZ, but worse because it's directly in line with the grass, glider strip puts your P3 directly in the potential path of glider/tow aircraft. A glider being towed, btw, is pretty slow to gain altitude. They also tend to stay straight line with the runway for a while while gaining altitude. So just because you are barely outside the NFZ area does not automatically make you in a safe area. Extend the runway center lines out a bit and try to avoid those extensions.

Aside from the safety aspects of a potential quad strike to an aircraft or glider, do you have any idea the cost of a collision to a small aircraft (assuming damage only, no crash for the manned aircraft)? A small repair to a wing can easily get into the thousands of dollars. Same for a windshield. Even going to the other side of the lake and a bit off the centerline of the runway dramatically reduces the risk.

So while I am not glad you lost your P3, I too wish that you considered your flying location a bit more carefully. As a commercial pilot, flight instructor, as well as aircraft and power plant mechanic, I have seen a lot of damaged aircraft over the 30 years that I have been flying. If we can avoid creating dangerous situations for others, why not do it?

Reactions: kirk2579
looks like fireworks already started
upload_2016-7-4_11-19-12.png

Reactions: top boy roy
there you go
Looks like every other not-very-good P3/P4 picture out there. The YouTube videos are hardly advancing your case.

It is rather obvious that both camera systems - both for video and stills - are pretty similar.

Looks like every other not-very-good P3/P4 picture out there. The YouTube videos are hardly advancing your case.

It is rather obvious that both camera systems - both for video and stills - are pretty similar.
just remember I don't mess with the settings cause I don't care I am not a photographer so people that due have really awesome ones I'm fine with mine. plus my camera is detachable just saying

just remember I don't mess with the settings cause I don't care I am not a photographer so people that due have really awesome ones I'm fine with mine
That's fine - just don't go around saying that one is better than another when the vast majority of data simply doesn't support that conclusion. I get it that you're an Autel fanboi - no prob.

Reactions: Meta4
That's fine - just don't go around saying that one is better than another when the vast majority of data simply doesn't support that conclusion. I get it that you're an Autel fanboi - no prob.
no got that from pro photographers that have dji yuneec and autel plus prodrone too I fly with a large number of people that due it for a living going off what they think

to me they kinda all look alike not a autel fanboy like all kinds of drones not just suck on one product like some are

You really don't get it. The DJI NFZ is the absolute, don't go there area. But 400 ft, loss of VLOS, right at the edge of the NFZ, but worse because it's directly in line with the grass, glider strip puts your P3 directly in the potential path of glider/tow aircraft. A glider being towed, btw, is pretty slow to gain altitude. They also tend to stay straight line with the runway for a while while gaining altitude. So just because you are barely outside the NFZ area does not automatically make you in a safe area. Extend the runway center lines out a bit and try to avoid those extensions.

Aside from the safety aspects of a potential quad strike to an aircraft or glider, do you have any idea the cost of a collision to a small aircraft (assuming damage only, no crash for the manned aircraft)? A small repair to a wing can easily get into the thousands of dollars. Same for a windshield. Even going to the other side of the lake and a bit off the centerline of the runway dramatically reduces the risk.

So while I am not glad you lost your P3, I too wish that you considered your flying location a bit more carefully. As a commercial pilot, flight instructor, as well as aircraft and power plant mechanic, I have seen a lot of damaged aircraft over the 30 years that I have been flying. If we can avoid creating dangerous situations for others, why not do it?

Thanks for the comment. At least your tone wasn't like "glad you lost your investment.." After flying this time, I ended up going to the other lake instead for reasons you stated.
I wasn't at 400 ft, but in the mid 200's Maybe a few seconds, when I got the compass error, I probably ascended to avoid the thing to come crashing down.

That being said, I appreciate the safety concerns. I didn't go back to that particular location. The other guy just assumed that I was some 16 year punk flying recklessly, and that he knows that area better than I do, which is farther from the truth.

Also, I posted this log not to point out my flying mistakes (if there was one), but to figure out what went wrong with my phantom.

read the reviews on Amazon. Almost every Autel owner has had a phantom in the past or tried a phantom. There's an article on Autel's FB page where some non-biased site compares the P4, Autel, and Yuneec H cameras. Clearly the Autel comes out ahead.

Reactions: flpholt
When DJI decides to blame me for my flyaway drone, I'll will Autel's number one fan.
still like how he calls you kiddo couldn't stop laughing some people just like to judge others you didn't due anything wrong

read the reviews on Amazon. Almost every Autel owner has had a phantom in the past or tried a phantom. There's an article on Autel's FB page where some non-biased site compares the P4, Autel, and Yuneec H cameras. Clearly the Autel comes out ahead.
dji fanboys will never agree so it is useless to even try and explain it to them

Thanks for the comment. At least your tone wasn't like "glad you lost your investment.." After flying this time, I ended up going to the other lake instead for reasons you stated.
I wasn't at 400 ft, but in the mid 200's Maybe a few seconds, when I got the compass error, I probably ascended to avoid the thing to come crashing down.

That being said, I appreciate the safety concerns. I didn't go back to that particular location. The other guy just assumed that I was some 16 year punk flying recklessly, and that he knows that area better than I do, which is farther from the truth.

Also, I posted this log not to point out my flying mistakes (if there was one), but to figure out what went wrong with my phantom.

I didnt "just assume" you where flying recklessly, you where flying recklessly, your logs proved that beyond any doubt. And you proved your ignorance by calling BS on my comments and pointing to the DJI app. Even after 2 full scale pilots tried to tell you, you still seem unable to accept that what you did was both illegal and dangerous. You're more concerned about a $1000 toy than the safety of other human beings, so yep, I for one am glad if you no longer have the tools to endanger other people lives. I even have to fight the urge to report your flight log to the FAA as the prospect of a $55000 fine might just be the only way to make people like you fly responsibly.

As for your age, I have no idea, and I dont care, but for whatever reason you started calling me "old man". Should that make me think you're around my age?

Reactions: kirk2579

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20