A little info for anyone / everyone using device with no cell function

That's interesting. It seems that I remember that Apple uses data to fill in the gaps in Wi-Fi as well but as I type this I can't remember for sure and I can't find that setting on my phone so that's just going by memory.

But what's most interesting about it is that I never thought about this in terms of how it relates to using a Wi-Fi signal to control a drone. Sometimes you just plug-and-play, and then after-the-fact curiosity takes over.

In any case, not only do I want the increased screen size of an iPad to fly with, but I was specifically interested in something that did not have cellular data because I don't want the constant interruptions of notifications, phone calls, text messages…

What I hadn't taken into account at the time was it's inability to map. But now that's solved with tethering, and still don't get the pesky notifications.

Jeff
A cellular ipad will work perfectly even with no data plan or contract, you do not even have to have a sim installed, so no notifications etc, which I agree would be very annoying. We are always alert to strange noises, beeps etc when flying so do not want any extra noises.
The cellular ipad has the gps chip on board which gives you the follow mode, and reset home point, you still have to cache the map.
I actually use a pay as you go data sim and notifications turned off,it uses very little data getting live maps, and I can immediately sync my flights when I land.

Good to know. Cellular capable iPads are a little more pricey, and at the time I was looking for the cheapest I could get so that I can use it as a dedicated tablet for flying. Because of that, I didn't want to spend anymore than I had to, but that is still excellent info.

Jeff

I did ask DJI and they told me that they test their products in the factory without cellular. By the way, I am using China phones [not Samsung, Iphones or the well-known brands] and all of them work and perform normally. My China phones, bought thru internet are cheap and their specifications are as good or even better than the expensive ones.

I did ask DJI and they told me that they test their products in the factory without cellular. By the way, I am using China phones [not Samsung, Iphones or the well-known brands] and all of them work and perform normally. My China phones, bought thru internet are cheap and their specifications are as good or even better than the expensive ones.

I'm using a Xiaomi which is a Chinese phone. Anyway, I'm on Nougat and I can't get the drone to connect to any flight apps if mobile data is enabled.

I'm using a Xiaomi which is a Chinese phone. Anyway, I'm on Nougat and I can't get the drone to connect to any flight apps if mobile data is enabled.
I have Tpad from Teclast, Takee and Ramos. All can work and connect. I suppose you connect to the Drone wifi?

I have Tpad from Teclast, Takee and Ramos. All can work and connect. I suppose you connect to the Drone wifi?

I can connect to the drone WiFi. All drone communications work only if mobile data is disabled. If I enable mobile data and WiFi together, I can't connect to the drone.

It's a known Android problem because Android can only use one data bearing connection at a time. There are hacks on rooted phones which allow both mobile data and WiFi to be used with separate routing for each but I can't get them to work on my phone.

Hi, I think you got it wrong. I said DJI test their products in a factory, big one. They don't use cellular.
I can't fly mine in the house. The AC will go crazy. I usually fly with the cellular off. I do not want any phone calls or sms to interrupt my signal. DJI said YES to this type of flying [I asked them].

When communicating within the same subnet, a device doesn't need to route so in theory an Android should be able to communicate with a device that is also acting as an access point and still use the cell data as the default route. Instead though it seems the Android makes the Wi-Fi the default route.
There may be a setting on some phones on the data preference. That might do it.

When communicating within the same subnet, a device doesn't need to route so in theory an Android should be able to communicate with a device that is also acting as an access point and still use the cell data as the default route. Instead though it seems the Android makes the Wi-Fi the default route.
There may be a setting on some phones on the data preference. That might do it.

I've spent a few days trying to get it working but still no go. Apparently it was possible in Android 4.4 to fire up the WLAN driver manually, run wpa_supplicant by hand and run the dhcp daemon to enable both WiFi and mobile data simultaneously.

I'm on Nougat now and the hack doesn't work. The WLAN driver seems to load but dhcptool times out. I can configure an IP address for the WiFi adapter manually, the routing table looks good with separate routes for the subnet on WiFi and the default route on mobile data, but I still can't ping the router on the WiFi network. That ping works if i disable mobile data.

Tldr; it's an Android limitation.

No testing today. Sorry.

05351508b946b55ec31451fbfb25673c.jpg

Reactions: Dazzauk
That sucks, same here in uk. Well not as cold (no wear near actually). But wet and windy. Almost 3 weeks now without flying :(

Yep, same here in wet and windy Oxfordshire. Had the bird 1 month and only been able to fly it once.

Yep, same here in wet and windy Oxfordshire. Had the bird 1 month and only been able to fly it once.
Managed 2 flights today across Morecambe bay, not ideal, but when you are suffering withdrawal symptoms, you take a chance. Actually a 2 mile flight, but had to run for home when it started raining.

0446b01fd226d7606dfd1a305c3f6013.jpg

Do I even have to say it?

Just think, next week I will be flying in sunny, warm skies! Maybe some nice white sand, beautiful blue water and incredible sunsets! I'll be thinking of (some) of you guys that are dreaming of flying high!

Just think, next week I will be flying in sunny, warm skies! Maybe some nice white sand, beautiful blue water and incredible sunsets! I'll be thinking of (some) of you guys that are dreaming of flying high!

I don't like you any more. [emoji848]

Check with me when you get back.

99da2363af3b8e54b772c3cc14d8c771.jpg

This is a joke right? Above freezing all week then this? And 30 mph winds?

Someone tell me it's a joke.

So no... no testing this weekend.

I included the date because it's almost unbelievable that the temp is EXACTLY the same.

Feel for you, Autumn here now, still having warm 30s days, it won't last but enjoying [emoji41]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor