A little info for anyone / everyone using device with no cell function

Reaction score
Just a small peice of info for everyone, as i asked the question but hijacked a thread ... sorry lol

Anyway if you wanted to use a tablet I.E ipad but it was wi-fi only you can and what you would have to do is have you Iphone or device with you wich does have cell function and with this device create a personal hotspot

then with the ipad or non cellular device connect to this personal hotspot via Bluetooth, that will then leave the wi-fi free to connect to the phantom..

Some may already lknow this... I didn't so i thought id share :)

Darren

Once again, I am probably wrong, but I do not think this solution allows your device to share the GPS data from your Hotspot, so the features which rely on GPS such as resetting your homepoint and tracking etc will not work.
As I say , what do I know. I have never tested this concept.

Once again, I am probably wrong, but I do not think this solution allows your device to share the GPS data from your Hotspot, so the features which rely on GPS such as resetting your homepoint and tracking etc will not work.
As I say , what do I know. I have never tested this concept.

Once you have connected to the hotspot you then have internet connection, the device with no internet will still have gps, but without the hotspot it wouldnt have the internet connection to allow it to load the visuals for streets roads etc - i see no problem

Once you have connected to the hotspot you then have internet connection, the device with no internet will still have gps, but without the hotspot it wouldnt have the internet connection to allow it to load the visuals for streets roads etc - i see no problem
Yes I agree you get the mapping data, but I do not think you get the full functionality of a cellular Ipad with an in built gps chip, tracking etc. The non cellular have no gps chip, and I am not sure the hotspot solution works, but I am no expert, someone will be along soon who knows more than me.

Ok just did really quck test,

used iphone as hot spot, connected ipad which is wi-fi only to my iphone through bluetooth, loded up google maps and it had the blue flashing circle with arrow on it showing me in my house :)

used iphone as hot spot, connected ipad which is wi-fi only to my iphone through bluetooth, loded up google maps and it had the blue flashing circle with arrow on it showing me in my house :)
Any chance wifi on the tablet was still enabled?

I use a samsung tablet, that's wifi and cellular but cellular isn't activated, as I use this tablet to fly only.I have 0 issues and have here maps.samsung Tab 3.Has all the street names and lakes etc.

Sent from my SM-T217S using PhantomPilots mobile app

...because your phone was there with you!

But that's ok because it always will be if you are connected. Therefore the bird is tracking your phone and not your iPad...

Know what I mean? Your phone and iPad will always be close together as long as they are tethered so it's "like" it's tracking your iPad even though it's really your phone!

Kinda like when your phone says "location awareness is improved when you have wifi enabled"...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
...because your phone was there with you!

But that's ok because it always will be if you are connected. Therefore the bird is tracking your phone and not your iPad...

Know what I mean? Your phone and iPad will always be close together as long as they are tethered so it's "like" it's tracking your iPad even though it's really your phone!

Ah ok so you saying that whatever device is tethered to my iPhone. It's the iPhone's location that will be used because that's the cellular data daddy.

Ah ok so you saying that whatever device is tethered to my iPhone. It's the iPhone's location that will be used because that's the cellular data daddy.

Something like that. I need to look into it a little more to be sure what info is exchanged when tethered but I do know location awareness is affected when wifi is enabled.

I know I didn't do a good job explaining that yet but I only had a minute...

Another quick test... leaving the Phantom completely out of it, while your iPad is connected by Bluetooth to your phone, your location shows on the map.

By turning Bluetooth OFF on your phone, without touching your iPad, you lose your location on the map (goes back to a blank grid).

Therefore, logic dictates your iPad is drawing its location from your phone... separate the two and you will lose it.

But again, that's ok because the two have to stay together for this to work anyway, and it does, so that's perfect!

I've never needed to or tried to cache a map since this is my first "wifi only" iPad, but since this works I know it's at least one solution.

I am still not convinced. If you are in follow mode the bird will attempt to follow the device that is running the app, and if the device running the app has no GPS chip then there is nothing to follow.
The tethered phone gives internet access and hence mapping data but can it pass gps data to the tablet in a form that the app can use it?
I do not know, but would be interested in a definitive test of the follow mode. I cannot test it as my ipad is cellular.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots[/QUOTE]
Cost me a propeller and a half but I got everything working, including a living room test...

You flew inside to test this :). Brother that's dedication. Hats off to you sir.

I am still not convinced. If you are in follow mode the bird will attempt to follow the device that is running the app, and if the device running the app has no GPS chip then there is nothing to follow.

The device (lets call it the iPad) becomes "location aware" when it's tethered to the phone and puts itself on a dot on the map, and because of that, the bird has a location to follow...

I'm assuming that's because it's a short range connection and the iPad realizes that it must be in the same location as the signal it's using... same as wifi in a house.

Parts of this are theoretical though... I plan on trying to test it later today but sounds like Ma Nature has decided to offer us up some gale force winds today. I'll do what I can.

Reactions: Dazzauk
The device (lets call it the iPad) becomes "location aware" when it's tethered to the phone and puts itself on a dot on the map, and because of that, the bird has a location to follow...

I'm assuming that's because it's a short range connection and the iPad realizes that it must be in the same location as the signal it's using... same as wifi in a house.

Parts of this are theoretical though... I plan on trying to test it later today but sounds like Ma Nature has decided to offer us up some gale force winds today. I'll do what I can.

Keep us posted, I would like to know the results.Blowing a gale here,the remnants of storm Doris,since when did we Brits start naming winds.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj