A little info for anyone / everyone using device with no cell function

Editing my own post [emoji33]. Thought about it more and now realise there isn't GPS info from phone, just data for map, the GPS location (current position and Home location) is of course from the Phantom's GPS - sorted! [emoji4].

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

Well... yes... there that too! But you just made me realize that there is one more test to perform... I want to see how it handles "follow me" in this scenario because it makes a difference if the bird is able to follow an iPad that doesn't have GPS, even if it does now have data for mapping!

Great... more testing!!

This is why the cold makes it hard at this time of year. It was gorgeous a few days this week but of course cold on the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well... yes... there that too! But you just made me realize that there is one more test to perform... I want to see how it handles "follow me" in this scenario because it makes a difference if the bird is able to follow an iPad that doesn't have GPS, even if it does now have data for mapping!

Great... more testing!!

This is why the cold makes it hard at this time of year. It was gorgeous a few days this week but of course cold on the weekend.

Thanks for updating us all through all the testing boss man :)

Really good. Now I just need

1. For the English weather to give me a break
2. Find a way to mount my iPad with my current centre mount.

What I actually find more interesting than anything is what you mentioned about the No Strong interference messages. This would certainly point the finger at the iPhone possibly causing this. Added even more so by the fact that most people having this issue are using iPhones. Certainly need to test myself now.

Reactions: jwmcgrath

Great... more testing!!

Thanks for the testing. It is the follow mode that I am particularly interested in, most of us will be happy having cached maps, but being able to use the other functions follow, and reset home point would be the big benefit,please carry on testing,thanks.

I also believe it's possible for a tethered connection between an iPad Wi-Fi only and an iPhone to actually exchange more than just Wi-Fi. Remember, this connection isn't necessarily just a "dumb" hotspot, the iPhone /ipad get a symbol other than Wi-Fi that they are connected. The symbol looks like a chain/tether. It would not surprise me if IOS shares more data than just internet. Technically easily also location/gps data.
This is just my guess though.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 that I want to use for my flying. It is wi-if only, no cellular connection. Will I be ok to use it by itself?

Thanks for the testing. It is the follow mode that I am particularly interested in, most of us will be happy having cached maps, but being able to use the other functions follow, and reset home point would be the big benefit,please carry on testing,thanks.

Happy to... just wish I could be quicker about it. I'll do what I can and update as I have info!

I also believe it's possible for a tethered connection between an iPad Wi-Fi only and an iPhone to actually exchange more than just Wi-Fi. Remember, this connection isn't necessarily just a "dumb" hotspot, the iPhone /ipad get a symbol other than Wi-Fi that they are connected. The symbol looks like a chain/tether. It would not surprise me if IOS shares more data than just internet. Technically easily also location/gps data.

I agree. A lot of what I have reported is speculation based on results, but it's the results that matter most.

HOW it's doing what it's doing isn't clear and I'm trying to apply logic to it by interpreting what's happening, and even further testing won't explain the "how", but it will at least tell us what we need to know.

There is probably info out there on the net, but it's way more fun doing it this way... it gets me air time!

But I think you're right. It's not just a dumb connection.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 that I want to use for my flying. It is wi-if only, no cellular connection. Will I be ok to use it by itself?

Yes it will be ok to use it. If you cache maps before hand, you will see your location on the map.

If you don't, the map will be a blank grid, but you will still be able to fly just fine.

If you tether your tablet to a phone, then again you will will be able to see your location on the map.

Either way I haven't found that the map is critical to the flying experience, it's just another tool that is nice to have when available.

Reactions: LetsGoPeay
Yes it will be ok to use it. If you cache maps before hand, you will see your location on the map.

If you don't, the map will be a blank grid, but you will still be able to fly just fine.

If you tether your tablet to a phone, then again you will will be able to see your location on the map.

Either way I haven't found that the map is critical to the flying experience, it's just another tool that is nice to have when available.

Great! Thanks!

[QUOTE="toegema, post: 1113823, member: 55953"It would not surprise me if IOS shares more data than just internet. Technically easily also location/gps data.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots[/QUOTE]

This is what I think too.

In order to be tethered, the two devices have to be in close proximity, and both devices "know" that, so it's not insane to believe they share GPS info.

Maybe a better question is, what is the aircraft ACTUALLY following when in "follow me" mode? The assumption is the RC, but we know that's not true because it needs the GPS capability of the i-device. If the i-device doesn't have it, then it can't follow.

But it's not actually following the GPS capability in the i-device... right? There is no GPS tracker in the AC that is tracking and following the phone, I don't think. As far as I know it is following a signal that the phone is sending to the AC with its location.

If that's true, then if the i-device that does NOT have GPS is tethered to another i-device that DOES have GPS , then what? Does it not stand to reason that the AC will follow that concoction of connected devices?

Which brings us to the next level of testing...

And for all those that are happy caching their maps in wifi only devices, this may open up a whole new world of being able to use "follow me" for them.

I never go anywhere without my phone anyway, so the best part of all this is it's not cumbersome to have all this with me when I'm flying. And it's all wireless.

Clarification of some conclusions/points being put forward:

1. When one 'Tethers' two devices, such as the wifi iPad to iPhone, your are creating a local hotspot, which provides Internet data sharing, but not other stuff like GPS info.

2. Follow me: Phantom follows a GPS enabled phone or IPad that is running DJIGO app. If that device does not have built in GPS (like a wifi only iPad) then follow-me not possible, even if that iPad is tethered to a phone with GPS. That's how it works - your testing will confirm this I'm certain.

In summary 'follow me' follows the GPS capable device running DJIGO app (like ones iPhone), as its GPS location is known, relative to Phantoms own GPS determined location, so 'follow me' is the app cleverly working out how to fly to keep two GPS locations near each other by flying a 'follow' path.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I disagree with some conclusions being put forward.

1. When one 'Tethers' two devices, such as the wifi iPad to iPhone, your are creating a local hotspot, which provides Internet data sharing, but not other stuff like GPS info.

2. Follow me: Phantom follows a GPS enabled phone or IPad that is running DJIGO app. If that device does not have built in GPS (like a wifi only iPad) then follow-me not possible, even if that iPad is tethered to a phone with GPS. That's how it works - your testing will confirm this I'm certain.

In summary 'follow me' follows the GPS capable device running DJIGO app (like ones iPhone), as its GPS location is known, relative to Phantoms own GPS determined location, so 'follow me' is the app cleverly working out how to fly to keep two GPS locations near each other by flying a 'follow' path.

So far, we all agree these are theories and assumptions... but the most interesting is paragraph 2 and your summary.

Once tethered, the wifi only iPad DOES now have a GPS location. We know this because it is able to position itself on a map.

Why can the Phantom not pull that info from the device for the follow me feature?

I'm not sure I understand why the Phantom can follow a GPS enabled phone, but not a device that IS currently aware of its own GPS location, even if it is only through a tether.

Either way, testing is fun, don't rob me of that!

(Actually this is perfect... now we have conflicting hypothesis to prove!)

Jeff

Jeff I'm with you and testing! nothing better than considering, extrapolating, witnessing, modifying and learning - from all of us [emoji6]. I'm relying on your testing to validate views too.

My Reply re your send para "Once tethered... Disagree your conclusion (but may be incorrect myself - I too need to test/check this) I don't believe a tethered iPad has a GPS location, I believe it has a calculated location estimate based on the wifi internet connection, I believe this location estimate is insufficiently accurate to enable ' Follow-me'. I may be eating humble pie if your testing evidence proves otherwise here, but that's ok, I'll have learned [emoji6].

I don't believe a tethered iPad has a GPS location, I believe it has a calculated location estimate based on the wifi internet connection, I believe this location estimate is insufficiently accurate to enable ' Follow-me'. I may be eating humble pie if your testing evidence proves otherwise here, but that's ok, I'll have learned [emoji6].

And THAT is the info that requires testing... what exactly IS the "follow me" drawing its info from?

Even if it does work, we will only again end up drawing conclusions. Maybe it does only need an estimated location to enable follow me... whatever location the connected device thinks it has.

No humble pie necessary... all part of the game!

Jeff

If you're running an Android device, most likely you'll have to disable mobile data first before enabling WiFi for the Phantom link. That'll turn a phone into a WiFi-only device. The DJI Go app caches both standard and satellite maps (on Here maps anyway) so having no Internet connectivity while flying is fine.

You can enable mobile data before flying to get fast A-GPS lock on the phone, then turn it off when you're about to fly. Either that or get an A-GPS lock at home first on WiFi, then switch to unassisted GPS in the field. Most WiFi tablets have GPS chips and antennas but they need a WiFi connection to get a fast A-GPS fix.

Why is that? Admittedly, I know very little about Android devices, so naturally I'm curious...

Jeff

Routing issue I guess. There's no Internet connectivity through the Phantom WiFi link so Android uses mobile data instead. The problem is that all network traffic goes through mobile data, including the link between the phone/tablet and the remote, so that stops the DJI Go app from connecting to the aircraft.

Routing issue I guess. There's no Internet connectivity through the Phantom WiFi link so Android uses mobile data instead. The problem is that all network traffic goes through mobile data, including the link between the phone/tablet and the remote, so that stops the DJI Go app from connecting to the aircraft.

What about when you are connected to home wifi? How do wifi and mobile data interact in that circumstance?

Jeff

What about when you are connected to home wifi? How do wifi and mobile data interact in that circumstance?

Jeff

Android tests each connection for Internet outbound connectivity. If a WiFi connection can't connect to the Internet, it then switches to mobile data. My phone constantly swaps between WiFi and mobile data when I'm at the edge of my router's range.

That's interesting. It seems that I remember that Apple uses data to fill in the gaps in Wi-Fi as well but as I type this I can't remember for sure and I can't find that setting on my phone so that's just going by memory.

But what's most interesting about it is that I never thought about this in terms of how it relates to using a Wi-Fi signal to control a drone. Sometimes you just plug-and-play, and then after-the-fact curiosity takes over.

In any case, not only do I want the increased screen size of an iPad to fly with, but I was specifically interested in something that did not have cellular data because I don't want the constant interruptions of notifications, phone calls, text messages…

What I hadn't taken into account at the time was it's inability to map. But now that's solved with tethering, and still don't get the pesky notifications.

Jeff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart