A few Newbie questions before my first flight...

Reaction score
This is my first post. I received a P2V+ from my wife for my 70th birthday last week. My only quad experience has been indoors with a micro-quad (the cheerson) and it is pretty fun. Anyway I have spent the week reading manuals, watching videos, testing systems, upgrading firmware and calibrating. I am now ready but nervous to launch and have a few perhaps silly questions.

-- There is a grass field near my house with an asphalt area adjacent. I was going to launch from the asphalt, but considering the possible hard landing... I was thinking about launching off a padded mat. Is this a good or a bad idea?

-- One video advises removing the camera before first flight. Is this really necessary?

-- I bought a neck lanyard (the DJI one) and the RC came off the clip. Any suggestions for a more secure brand?

-- I was planning to buy a back-pack case. Is there one particular brand that works best ... there are too many choices. I will be installing the Bezem prop-guards.

Any other advice?

Was this an appropriate Forum for this post?

Thanks so much.

Larry

There is a grass field near my house with an asphalt area adjacent. I was going to launch from the asphalt, but considering the possible hard landing... I was thinking about launching off a padded mat. Is this a good or a bad idea?
A mat would be an okay idea. It would be better to practice soft landing though. Just hover a few feet above the ground and then slowly pull down on the left stick until you land.

One video advises removing the camera before first flight. Is this really necessary?
I do not recommend you do this. The gimbal is very fragile -- and, some people are damaging it when removing it and/or not reinstalling it properly.

I bought a neck lanyard (the DJI one) and the RC came off the clip. Any suggestions for a more secure brand?
This one might be overkill, but it might work better for you.

I was planning to buy a back-pack case. Is there one particular brand that works best ... there are too many choices.
You can find some backpacks that work well with prop guards here.

Last edited:
A mat would be an okay idea. It would be better to practice soft landing though. Just hover a few feet above the ground and then slowly pull down on the left stick until you land.

I do not recommend you do this. The gimbal is very fragile -- and, some people are damaging it when removing it and/or not reinstalling it properly.

This one might be overkill, but it might work better for you:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...ep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

You can find some backpacks that work well with prop guards here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#Cases
Thank you. Do i need to be concerned that the mat will lead to tipping over?

Hello Larry, Welcome to the forum.
I think you picked a good place for your first post with general questions. We've all got opinions and ideas. I wouldn't put all my trust in just one reply.

A padded mat would be a good idea as long as the prop wash doesn't lift the edges. That would be a really short first flight.
Removing the camera isn't necessary. How much does a replacement camera cost?
Don't know what to tell you about the lanyard, or the case.
Prop guards are a good idea to start with. When you remove them, put the ORIGINAL screws back in or buy new motors.

Other advice: Record the flight from the ground and the bird, if you leave the camera on. If everything goes down the crapper maybe you can figure out why. If it all goes well, you can still watch it and learn how to do things better.

Have a ball. Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the forum Larry and congratulations on turning 70 :)
If ya got a wife that got you that ya might ought to keep her ;)
Don't be to nervous and just take it easy and I know you will do fine .

Thank you. Do i need to be concerned that the mat will lead to tipping over?
I would not personally use a mat due to the reason IflyinWY pointed out -- prop wash. It's not hard to land softly. Just take your time and all should be fine.

Although some people recommend removing the camera, it's not a good idea.
Removing the camera also disables your telemetry so you have no idea of GPS satellites, battery level, speed, distance, height etc.
All these things make flying easier and safer.
You'll do fine. The Phantom is easier to fly than everyone imagines.
Just take your time and stay in an open area away from obstructions while learning and have a ball.

Reactions: IflyinWY

This one might be overkill, but it might work better for you:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...ep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

You can find some backpacks that work well with prop guards here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#Cases

Thanks to all of you. I hope I am replying properly.

I tend to drive myself nuts over these things...so now what is concerning me is whether ( before I fly the new P2V+) I should try to trade it in for the P3???

I am being bombarded with ads for the P3. Is it a bad decision to have purchased a new P2V+ at this time?

Larry

This is my first post. I received a P2V+ from my wife for my 70th birthday last week. My only quad experience has been indoors with a micro-quad (the cheerson) and it is pretty fun. Anyway I have spent the week reading manuals, watching videos, testing systems, upgrading firmware and calibrating. I am now ready but nervous to launch and have a few perhaps silly questions.

-- There is a grass field near my house with an asphalt area adjacent. I was going to launch from the asphalt, but considering the possible hard landing... I was thinking about launching off a padded mat. Is this a good or a bad idea?

-- One video advises removing the camera before first flight. Is this really necessary?

-- I bought a neck lanyard (the DJI one) and the RC came off the clip. Any suggestions for a more secure brand?

-- I was planning to buy a back-pack case. Is there one particular brand that works best ... there are too many choices. I will be installing the Bezem prop-guards.

Any other advice?

Was this an appropriate Forum for this post?

Thanks so much.

Larry

It's easier to land on a firm surface then a soft one. You're going to have some hard landings... it's part of learning. Just go VERY slow and don't do anything crazy!. The flight training manual is a great tool. Most importantly calibrate, calibrate, CALIBRATE your compass EVERY time you turn it on.. even if it's just between a battery change. Make sure you have your green flashing lights. I see a lot of fly aways and the only problems I've ever had with that are when I don't take the time to make sure my compass and GPS are calibrated properly. Don't be afraid to crash.. it will happen. Don't panic! These are pretty tough little critters. If you're going slow it won't be too bad of a crash. Prop guards are a great tool also. You'll save on props (I've broken a few) plus it makes the quad a little more visible at a distance. Good luck. Fly with confidence and you'll be fine.

Most importantly calibrate, calibrate, CALIBRATE your compass EVERY time you turn it on.. even if it's just between a battery change.

Bad advice. Totally unnecessary.

Reactions: claws and IflyinWY
Are there local Quadcopter clubs i should be looking into in order to find good fields etc? How does one locate them?

Larry

Most importantly calibrate, calibrate, CALIBRATE your compass EVERY time you turn it on..

A compass calibration is NOT needed every time.
Do some more research.

And dare I mention the dreaded "Hand Catch"? It's a great way to save on props. Do some hovering at a height just higher than your head and watch how stable the bird is. Once you learn how to hold it STILL and shut off the motors, you may decide this is the way to go.
Prop guards are great, if you fly like me. ;)

Lots of info and videos out there.

Here's a great way to search within our forum:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

A compass calibration is NOT needed every time.
Do some more research.

And dare I mention the dreaded "Hand Catch"? It's a great way to save on props. Do some hovering at a height just higher than your head and watch how stable the bird is. Once you learn how to hold it STILL and shut off the motors, you may decide this is the way to go.
Prop guards are great, if you fly like me. ;)

Lots of info and videos out there.

Here's a great way to search within our forum:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi
Hand catch sounds great. But how do you catch with 2 hands and shut the engines at same time? CO-pilot?

Larry

Hi Larry, welcome to the forums.

Hand catching is always a good skill to have but I would try to make steady gentle landings on terra firma first. My first few flights I was nervous like you, and I tended to overthink things. Finally I just went in my driveway and lifted off. I practiced lots of touch downs until I felt confident that I could land it, from there I moved to my lawn (the grass was pretty short) and practiced more landing there. I think I killed my first battery doing just this but it was worth the training. As others have mentioned, the flight training manual is a great read and if you follow it you will get the rudimentary skills of flying down pat fast.

Mostly, have fun.

1 hand to catch other to shut down

dont forget left stick all the way down to shut off
NOT BOTH DOWN AND TOWARDS EACH OTHER (CSC)

Last edited:

The only issue with shutting down with 1 stick vs 2 sticks (CSC) is the time delay. Single stick shutdown takes 3 seconds. CSC is immediate. It's really a good idea to know how to do both.

Another thing to remember is that if you leave the bird hovering and then grab the bird and move it, it will fight with you to return to it's last known hover position. Make sure there are no obstacles between you and that spot in space.

If you get brave enough, you can test that yourself. Grab it and move some distance and let it go. :eek:
Theoretically it will return to where you stopped controlling it.

These guys put out some good videos.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I guess I need to see a video ... not sure where to grab it with one hand that would not put too much stress.

Also, I think i missed the 2 different shut down methods in the manual... i will have to review.

Larry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic