9" Step Stool for TakeOff and Landing

Reaction score
I purchased a 9" Step Stool to use for takeoffs. However, when I tested it today, the Phantom Vision+ V3.0 initially leaned over, on takeoff, as if it was going to fall over to the ground when taking off. Fortunately, it corrected itself in time to take off successfully with no damage.

I do a full throttle takeoff until I'm about 10-20 feet in the air.

I'm not sure if the almost tipover was the result some wind, or perhaps the surface was uneven, or was their prop wash (I believe that is what it is called) below the surface level from which I launched as a result of being 9 inches off the ground but not flat surface beneath the level of the landing gear which are placed on top of the step tool for takeoff.

I hope this makes sense.

I'm hoping I can use this step stool to make it easier to take off from wet surfaces and snow for example. Sometimes, the grass interferes with the camera before takeoff.

Any comments or feedback is welcome. I really don't want to have my bird tipover on takeoff. I'm already in the habit of hand-catching on landing.

Here is a picture of the step stool... Thos are not holes on the top surface. They are actually filled in.

191306.jpg

I have a dronepert quickreease with a gopro on my V+, making the issue of the camera hitting the ground even worse than with the stock camera setup (I have not installed the landing gear extensions).

I use a couple of bricks, or any rocks or logs I can find in the field. Its not ideal, but it works. The end result is that while my Vision+ is propped up high enough for the gimbal to go through its initial dance without hitting the ground, I'm only a couple inches higher than normal. Haven't had any problems with tipping yet. I pretty much always hand catch for landing, especially in the snow.

I just use my case from taking off from. The stool should work fine too. I like using the case as you are up in the air a little & should help eliminate any interference if there is any metal below the surface of the ground.

I have a 10 Gallon Sterilite storage box in my trunk for tools, antifreeze, parts etc.

I find that the lid is perfect for use as a helipad. It's big, and tends to level out any unevenness of the grass.

And, there's nothing to fall off of. ;-)

Attachments

• sterilite.jpg
    sterilite.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 698
Re: 9" Step Stool for TakeOff and Landing

I'm beginning to think it was the wind that gave me the possible tipover and me possibly not giving full throttle on takeoff fast enough or maybe even taking off too fast.

You can't take off too fast.

Full throttle with no hesitation.

The control system needs some dynamic range to correct for imbalance(s) during the initial lift off.

Anything less then full throttle limits it's ability to achieve stability.

I suggest you take off in Atti mode then switch to GPS after liftoff. This way the GPS is not trying to stabilize at the same critical moment of liftoff. Also, I often take off and land on my case, but found its easier if I just take a floor mat out of my car. Its low to the ground so in windy conditions its not that critical to hit it right on the spot.

N017RW said:
You can't take off too fast.

Full throttle with no hesitation.

The control system needs some dynamic range to correct for imbalance(s) during the initial lift off.

Anything less then full throttle limits it's ability to achieve stability.

Thats what i was taught... Full throttle, as fast as possible. I'm to the point where I jam it full throttle with my butt cheeks clenched tight until the Phantom is about 10 feet or so in the air. Then, I let it hover for a bit to observe how stable it is. I really jammed it full throttle yesterday to make sure it got up fast off the step stool. I'm going to try it again this week.

GPS does not stabilize per se.

It holds position in two dimensions once there is no control input present.

The gyros, accelerometers, and barometer provide the stability.

Atti. mode will not be any different.

N017RW said:

Sorry to disagree with you. Atti mode makes a noticeable difference when I take off. It does not tend to slightly tip as it does when I am GPS mode, and it accelerates straight up. Maybe I am wrong in the reasoning's for it, but there is a difference.

OK.

For me I see no difference but then again I don't have a gimbal/camera mounted.

Mopar Bob said:
N017RW said:

Sorry to disagree with you. Atti mode makes a noticeable difference when I take off. It does not tend to slightly tip as it does when I am GPS mode, and it accelerates straight up. Maybe I am wrong in the reasoning's for it, but there is a difference.

I'm going try some takeoffs in ATTI mode to see how things go.

I think you need to give full throttle on takeoff. I used to takeoff in atti and it was fine.
My problem with using the stool is if you don't land just right or the wind blows it can fall and screw your quad up. I used to land on my case until it fell off and just missed hitting the camera.

I think the wind is the issue so the closer to the ground the better. That's why the lid idea that capnbob mentioned or the floormat idea does the trick.

Re: 9" Step Stool for TakeOff and Landing

Mori55 said:
I think you need to give full throttle on takeoff. I used to takeoff in atti and it was fine.
My problem with using the stool is if you don't land just right or the wind blows it can fall and screw your quad up. I used to land on my case until it fell off and just missed hitting the camera.
I always hand catch on landing to minimize the possibility of problems.

When you get close you have ground effect from the prop wash. I have a old road sign I lay down to takeoff or land on. I put s piece of chrome tape on it to see the lights better.

I dont understand why you would land on a elevated platform and thereby increasing the chance of tip overs!

Is there a possibility that the quad is getting different thrust from each prop? If one or more props are over the stool and the other(s) are over the edge it might cause the quad to tip as it lifts off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1