550 Pilot's lounge

Uncle Meat said:
Anyone know a source for a F550 top plate that is actually IN stock by chance? I want to move my GPS mast from the center to the front and move the battery to the top plate. I really don't need a new top plate to do this, but since I've drilled holes in my current one I'd like a new one just so it looks neat and tidy.

U.M.

I think Helipal has them but the cost is almost the same as a basic F550 with arms... probably more if you bought the kit locally or on eBay.

Uncle Meat said:
FangsCPO said:
I'm using new landing skids. I cut the top bars about one inch and removed about an inch off of the panel the HERO3 is attached to. Here's a side view of how it looks.

FangsCPO_F550SideViewa_zps69c20b89.jpg

The more I use this Neewer skid, the more I'm not liking it. No matter how far forward I have my GoPro on the mount If I aim the camera straight down the left side tip of the landing skid comes into view. I'm going to order this camera mount and legs next and give it a try. http://www.irisaerial.com/products.html

batwing%20in%20flight.jpg

leg%20new.jpg

Anyone know a source for a F550 top plate that is actually IN stock by chance? I want to move my GPS mast from the center to the front and move the battery to the top plate. I really don't need a new top plate to do this, but since I've drilled holes in my current one I'd like a new one just so it looks neat and tidy.

U.M.

Have you tried shooting in medium mode? That's what I do and the skids are no where to be found when I look straight down....even now that I've pushed the HERO3 on inch closer to the center of the F550.

Haven't been shooting in medium or narrow mode much at all. Usually running wide most of the time. I'm still going to swap out the Neewer skid for the Bat Wing & legs simply because it will save me a few grams in overall weight. I'd like to get the FPV transmitter on and remain under 2400 grams if possible.

U.M.

ladykate said:
Uncle Meat said:

U.M.

I think Helipal has them but the cost is almost the same as a basic F550 with arms... probably more if you bought the kit locally or on eBay.

There's no place within miles of me that sells hobby equipment. Ordering the top & bottom plate from Helipal will cost me $48 (includes shipping)! I'll check eBay again and see what I can find. There are a lot of non-DJI copies out there available.

U.M.

OI Photography said:
:lol: Don't worry Uncle Chan, we'll get you sorted out

I can't find just the 550 frame plates in stock anywhere in the US, though you can get the full kit for $48. I did find a slightly cheaper place if you're going to order overseas anyway: http://www.dronesvision.net/en/dji-f330 ... -f550.html

As for the FPV gear, what's your quandary?

A. Where are you finding the basic 550 kit for $48? Linky please!

B. As for FPV... Purpose will be for framing up my video shots since my depth perception is less than stellar these days.

Looking for something that will work well with the Zenmuse GCU since it has a dedicated video out from the GoPro. So I need a transmitter to put on the F550 that mates up easily with the Zenmuse GCU. I'm thinking maybe the ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mw since it's so lightweight? I'm also thinking I want to go with a monitor versus goggles. Would like a 7 or 8 inch monitor with built-in 5.8Ghz receiver and built in battery. No idea which make or model to go with here though, looking at the Boscam 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver as a possible solution. Don't even get me started on which antennae's I should use with all of this!

How much flight time will I lose when I add the ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mw transmitter to my 550 since it will share the battery? I really don't think adding a separate battery for the transmitter is a good idea. Just adds even more weight.

Is there any way to stop the Zenmuse from charging my GoPro battery when in flight? Just curious.

U.M.

A: http://1uas.com/DJI-F550-Hexacopter-Air-Frame

B: The power draw of the Immersion 600mW Tx (or any FPV Tx) is extremely minimal, and won't make any appreciable difference in your flight time. Even with an FPV Tx included, all your electronics onboard draw 1/20 the amount of power your motors do or less.

As for a good monitor with built-in Rx and battery, I have no recommendations for you. I've seen too many issues with the Boscam and Black Pearl monitors, even if the frequencies are matched perfectly. I'm still more than happy with my 8" monitor and Immersion Rx attached to the back of it...it's usually a cheaper option, and there's never any compatibility or range issues, and the monitor looks as good (and as bright or brighter) than either of the all-in-one options.

I don't know of any vTx options that are 100% plug-n-play with the Zenmuse GCU (other than DJI's AVL58 kit, which I'm still not sold on)...but any brand of vTx can be connected with just a bit of wire splicing.

I currently have this and it's pretty solid for me.

http://www.helipal.com/boscam-5-8ghz-fpv-system-tx-500mw.html

http://www.helipal.com/boscam-7-monitor-w-built-in-5-8ghz-video-recevier.html

I'm about to switch to this transmitter because it's lighter and it's 600mw, my original one is 500mw and it's slightly heavier.

http://www.helipal.com/boscam-5-8ghz-fpv-system-ts832-tx-600mw.html

They even provide you with the directions to connect your GoPro if that's what you are using.

I'm running everything from my one Lipo. I don't see a need for an additional battery....that's just extra weight.

FangsCPO said:
I currently have this and it's pretty solid for me.

http://www.helipal.com/boscam-5-8ghz-fpv-system-tx-500mw.html

http://www.helipal.com/boscam-7-monitor-w-built-in-5-8ghz-video-recevier.html

I'm about to switch to this transmitter because it's lighter and it's 600mw, my original one is 500mw and it's slightly heavier.

http://www.helipal.com/boscam-5-8ghz-fpv-system-ts832-tx-600mw.html

They even provide you with the directions to connect your GoPro if that's what you are using.

I'm running everything from my one Lipo. I don't see a need for an additional battery....that's just extra weight.

Question... How often do you fly out of video range? The 600mw is good (they say) out to 800 meters if you have a good direct line of sight. Is that enough? Do you often wish you had more distance available for your FPV flights?

U.M.

Here's a photo on how Heli-pal installs the FPV on the F550. that's how mine is...exactly.

dji-f550-v2-rtf-big013-1.jpg

I have not flown out of range but I do believe that LOS can go for quite a distance. I've only been as high as 282m and the video feed was crystal clear. I've started to get some static in the display when I've been 210m high and at a distance of 192m as per my iOSD. Heli-pal carries another transmitter that states 2000mw but something like that has to consume additional power than the others and it's heavier obviously.

So what about this shopping list:

Boscam 5.8Ghz FPV System (TS832 TX 600mw)

Airy GoPro HERO 3 Video Cable Airy GoPro HERO 3 Video Cable

Boscam 7" Monitor w/ built-in Dual 5.8Ghz Video Receiver

Should I just go ahead and add a set of clover leaf antennas while I'm at it?

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
So what about this shopping list:

Boscam 5.8Ghz FPV System (TS832 TX 600mw)

Airy GoPro HERO 3 Video Cable Airy GoPro HERO 3 Video Cable

Boscam 7" Monitor w/ built-in Dual 5.8Ghz Video Receiver

Should I just go ahead and add a set of clover leaf antennas while I'm at it?

U.M.

I don't have the clover leaf antennas but if you do order them you'll need to buy 2 sets....remember, the monitor you are getting has two antennas plus the one on your transmitter. If you have the DJI Gimbal which is what I have, you won't need the Airy cable.

FangsCPO said:
If you have the DJI Gimbal which is what I have, you won't need the Airy cable.

I have the H3-2D gimbal. Since I now won't be using the dedicated video out from the gimbals GCU then I would still need the special USB interface cable to connect the GoPro to the transmitter, no? Is this interface included with the transmitter?

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
FangsCPO said:
If you have the DJI Gimbal which is what I have, you won't need the Airy cable.

I have the H3-2D gimbal. Since I now won't be using the dedicated video out from the gimbals GCU then I would still need the special USB interface cable to connect the GoPro to the transmitter, no? Is this interface included with the transmitter?

U.M.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. Why not use the video your GoPro3 feeds the receiver? You have a secondary camera?

FangsCPO said:
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. Why not use the video your GoPro3 feeds the receiver? You have a secondary camera?
No secondary camera. Right now there's only two "Video Outs" I can connect to. Either the video out on the Zenmuse H3-2D GCU, or the USB video out on the GoPro itself. As discussed earlier the video out from the GCU is a somewhat proprietary connection for DJI based equipment. So I guess the only other option is the USB out, just curious whether that connection is provided with the Boscam transmitter.

Now that I look again it doesn't appear so. The website states you get the following:

1. TS832 FPV 5.8Ghz Transmitter w/ Antenna
2. Transmitter Connection Cable

U.M.

cable.jpg

UM, from the references I can find for that boscam Tx, it doesn't look like it comes with the cable setup like in your diagram...this is what I find in most pics:
sku_308332_5.jpg

This is an example of the cable you would need: http://www.hobbywow.com/en-gopro-av-cab ... 236905.htm

Don't let the cabling frustrate you too much or force you to buy a component you don't really want...I'll be happy to help whip up any custom connection you need for whatever you decide on ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT