550 Pilot's lounge

So I guess everyone this Holiday Season is getting either a DJI Inspire or the DJI S900... :D

Neither is happening very soon for me, so I'll try to revive this thread with my new Flamewheel project, if it will interest anyone...

I'm still rebuilding my f550... A few post back I posted pics of my f550, now a 650 with AIMDROIX Extended Arms and the DJI E300 Tuned Propulsion System. However, I never flew it in that configuration, as my Hex's weight is now over 3Kg. Almost every configuration I've seen on YouTube has used the DJI E600 TPS or some other larger, heavy lifting motors with a 3kg load. So I decided to invest in the E600 System and I'm in the process of re-re-building my F550/650... Got it new for a good price on Black Friday ($365.00 - Hex Kit - Free Shipping).

Anyway, now I have to graduate to a 6S Battery System... No problem... I ordered two 10000mAh Multistar 6S batteries from Hobby King. A couple of YouTubers claim to get up to 30 minute fly time with a rig over 3kg in weight... We'll see... :?

My question is to anyone who can answer me this:

I know the NAZA V2 can handle the 6S battery as can the NAZA PMU. The iOSD is plugged into that. I'm using a Taranus X8R Receiver with my Gimbal and Retracts plugged into available channels. I have two LED kits which I want to fire-up while in flight. I bought this Step Down Regulator from ReadyMadeRC.com as suggested by OI Photography: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2938

Do I connect the 12 volt lead to all my LED's, FPV, Flytrex and Gimbal Power? Have I forgotten anything? What gets connected to the 5 volt lead? This is all new to me and I'm kind-of **** in this BEC department... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance... PJ :cool:

Wow - an odyssey for sure!

Only use the BEC for external power for LEDs and such. You can drive the FPV and Gimbal from the normal DJI gear (see the recommended hookups referenced here and on the DJI site and also on Helipal and others). The controller has all that (it has a BEC, too) and when you plug in the OSD and such, there are power lines from there to hook to FPV and a flat cable to hook to the gimbal controller (which has power). Don't think you have to drive everything. Look at the schematics for the connectors for everything and you'll see what I mean. In at least some cases, you just plug things in and it works. No need to use an external BEC for the key items.

PJA said:
Today I finished the re-build of my f550 to a 650... Added the AIMDROIX Extended Arms and rewired every inch of the Hex.

I built and added a custom Gimbal Rail System to accommodate my new DYS Gimbal. The rails still need end caps (which are on order)... I'm using a velcro strap to keep the GoPro to the Gimbal because I hate those locks that surround the lens and screw in. I like to quick disconnect the Gopro to add to my Phantom 1.5...

I need to program the Taranis TX with the Gimbal. That's the only thing I have left to do...

Other than that, everything works surprisingly well... from the FatShark FPV System with the iOSD mini to all my LED's and the QuadFrame Retract System (also custom built).

The only concern I have is that the f650 comes in at 2968 grams. My f550 weighed 2769 grams. I didn't even include a carbon fiber battery tray that I planned to add on the rail system to possibly fly with two 6400mah batteries. I'm also still using a 3S battery system because I originally bought three 6400 Batts when the Hex was a 550...

My question to you guys is: am I too heavy to fly for at least 8 to 10 minutes at this point (with only one battery at the present weight)? I did upgrade to the DJI E300 - Tuned Propulsion System... I was thinking of flying with the 1038 Props that came with the f550 originally for extra lift, if possible... (The pictures below show the E300 Props).

I'm actually afraid to fly this thing because of all the work I put into it. I'm still not the best pilot, but that's the idea is to get in the air and FLY!!!

Last question: Does everyone's Hex look like mine under the hood? It took a lot to squeeze everything together... I tried to keep it as neat as possible. Don't think I can add anything else...

f650 Re-Build:

AIMDROIX Extended Arms
FrSky Taranis Transmitter (not shown)
FrSky X8R Receiver
Fat Shark Predator V2
iOSD Mini
Flytrex Core 1
Cooper UAV LED Lighting Kit
Custom LED Strobe Kit
Custom Gimbal Rail System
DYS 3-Axis Smart Brushless Gimbal
GoPro Hero Black
QuadFrame 200 Landing Gear - Custom Retracts
NAZA - v2
DJI E300 - Tuned Propulsion System

Test flight soon... Video to follow...

How do you like the DYS 3-Axis Smart Brushless Gimbal ? I have a Zenmuse H3-2D on my Phantom 2 which I've has given me no problems. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a DJI Flame Wheel F550 with Naza-M V2, GPS, and Landing Gear kit. Unfortunately it is on order so I'm trying secure other build items while I patiently wait. I just received my FrSky Taranis Plus Transmitter and FrSky X8R Receiver yesterday. It appeared to have many bells and whistles and I couldn't justify paying the $$$ for a Futaba. Any insight into your gimbal choice would be appreciated. I've been scouring the Internet and have seen many selections but some look like junk. I'm trying to keep my pricing down and the DYS price point is rather appealing if it performs.

Thx,
Kevin

OBX Kevin said:
PJA said:
Today I finished the re-build of my f550 to a 650... Added the AIMDROIX Extended Arms and rewired every inch of the Hex.

I built and added a custom Gimbal Rail System to accommodate my new DYS Gimbal. The rails still need end caps (which are on order)... I'm using a velcro strap to keep the GoPro to the Gimbal because I hate those locks that surround the lens and screw in. I like to quick disconnect the Gopro to add to my Phantom 1.5...

I need to program the Taranis TX with the Gimbal. That's the only thing I have left to do...

Other than that, everything works surprisingly well... from the FatShark FPV System with the iOSD mini to all my LED's and the QuadFrame Retract System (also custom built).

The only concern I have is that the f650 comes in at 2968 grams. My f550 weighed 2769 grams. I didn't even include a carbon fiber battery tray that I planned to add on the rail system to possibly fly with two 6400mah batteries. I'm also still using a 3S battery system because I originally bought three 6400 Batts when the Hex was a 550...

My question to you guys is: am I too heavy to fly for at least 8 to 10 minutes at this point (with only one battery at the present weight)? I did upgrade to the DJI E300 - Tuned Propulsion System... I was thinking of flying with the 1038 Props that came with the f550 originally for extra lift, if possible... (The pictures below show the E300 Props).

I'm actually afraid to fly this thing because of all the work I put into it. I'm still not the best pilot, but that's the idea is to get in the air and FLY!!!

Last question: Does everyone's Hex look like mine under the hood? It took a lot to squeeze everything together... I tried to keep it as neat as possible. Don't think I can add anything else...

f650 Re-Build:

AIMDROIX Extended Arms
FrSky Taranis Transmitter (not shown)
FrSky X8R Receiver
Fat Shark Predator V2
iOSD Mini
Flytrex Core 1
Cooper UAV LED Lighting Kit
Custom LED Strobe Kit
Custom Gimbal Rail System
DYS 3-Axis Smart Brushless Gimbal
GoPro Hero Black
QuadFrame 200 Landing Gear - Custom Retracts
NAZA - v2
DJI E300 - Tuned Propulsion System

Test flight soon... Video to follow...

How do you like the DYS 3-Axis Smart Brushless Gimbal ? I have a Zenmuse H3-2D on my Phantom 2 which I've has given me no problems. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a DJI Flame Wheel F550 with Naza-M V2, GPS, and Landing Gear kit. Unfortunately it is on order so I'm trying secure other build items while I patiently wait. I just received my FrSky Taranis Plus Transmitter and FrSky X8R Receiver yesterday. It appeared to have many bells and whistles and I couldn't justify paying the $$$ for a Futaba. Any insight into your gimbal choice would be appreciated. I've been scouring the Internet and have seen many selections but some look like junk. I'm trying to keep my pricing down and the DYS price point is rather appealing if it performs.

Thx,
Kevin
Hello Kevin...

Unfortunately, the build I posted above never took flight. A fractured left elbow and right wrist put a stop to any test flight I planned about 6 week ago. Instead, I did research on extended f550's on Youtube and thought better of adding an E600 series propulsion system from DJI as opposed to the E300 I had originally did the build with. I'm at the point where the newer rebuild should be completed by next week...

As for the DYS 3-Axis Smart Gimbal; I was able to tune it according to a YouTube video. I was only able to figure out how to use the tilt function on the Taranus. I recently found a video on YouTube that shows how to get the third axis to work, where I'd be able to pan back and forth. So basically I've been in a holding pattern with that also. I haven't completely tuned my gimbal yet as of today's writing.

I would stick to the Zenmuse H3 3D Gimbal because of the ease of setting it up with DJI components... The DYS seems to need a lot of tuning to work correctly. If you do get a DYS smart Gimbal, there are plenty of Youtube Videos out there to help you and even a FaceBook page dedicated to it...

My eventual plan is to transfer the DYS Gimbal to my Phantom 1.5 and get an ARRIS Zhayoun 3 axis gimbal for the f650 and use a midsize DSLR camera...

I hope this helps... Anything else you'd like to know, just ask...

PJA said:
Hello Kevin...

Unfortunately, the build I posted above never took flight. A fractured left elbow and right wrist put a stop to any test flight I planned about 6 week ago. Instead, I did research on extended f550's on Youtube and thought better of adding an E600 series propulsion system from DJI as opposed to the E300 I had originally did the build with. I'm at the point where the newer rebuild should be completed by next week...

As for the DYS 3-Axis Smart Gimbal; I was able to tune it according to a YouTube video. I was only able to figure out how to use the tilt function on the Taranus. I recently found a video on YouTube that shows how to get the third axis to work, where I'd be able to pan back and forth. So basically I've been in a holding pattern with that also. I haven't completely tuned my gimbal yet as of today's writing.

I would stick to the Zenmuse H3 3D Gimbal because of the ease of setting it up with DJI components... The DYS seems to need a lot of tuning to work correctly. If you do get a DYS smart Gimbal, there are plenty of Youtube Videos out there to help you and even a FaceBook page dedicated to it...

My eventual plan is to transfer the DYS Gimbal to my Phantom 1.5 and get an ARRIS Zhayoun 3 axis gimbal for the f650 and use a midsize DSLR camera...

I hope this helps... Anything else you'd like to know, just ask...

Sorry to hear about your elbow and wrist. I was thinking about going with the Zenmuse H3-3D but I'm trying to cut costs. If I could find a cheaper, solid build I would definitely opt to purchase it. I'm very interested in what you find with flight times using those batteries and the E600 motors. I saw a couple of those heavy lift videos and impressed by the speed. I find it hard to believe that people are able to get 30 minute flight times. I would love to get those times with all of the bells and whistles attached. I'm still waiting for my F550 with Naza-M V2, GPS, and Landing Gear to arrive. I bought it from B&H and knew it was going to be an order versus in stock. I've had good luck with their pricing, service, and love not having to pay any sales tax. I use them for most of my DSLR photo supplies and save quite a bit of money.

Keep us posted on your build.
Have a Merry Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanza, etc.etc, Holidays!

OI Photography said:
The way the new receiver connects to the NAZA will just depend on whether the Rx has S-bus (aka D-bus) capability...if so then it just takes one wire to connect to NAZA (X2 port). If it doesn't have S-bus then you'll need to connect each channel individually.

I finally got the parts ordered for my F550 build - I had to sell my FC40 to do it, though.

I've been reading through this entire thread and ran across the quote above.

I am going to use a Pixhawk flight controller, which requires an S-BUS or PPM (PPM-SUM?) receiver.

My plan was to use a Phantom 1.1.1 transmitter and receiver, but at the time I mixed up S-Bus and D-BUS.

So are they the same? Will my D-BUS receiver work with the Pixhawk?

If not, I know the Phantom transmitter will do PPM, but what receiver could I use?

Thanks.

I'm not sure, I wish I had an answer. I hooked everything up traditionally, and everything works fine. S-bus is another story. I will keep messing with it as I have 2 more hexas on the way with another naza m lite and v2. All with the same Tx/Rx.
Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same issue with my Fubata receiver...

How are you guys balancing your props for the E300 System? I'm getting some vibrations I'm noticing in videos. What's the trick to balancing self-tightening props??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4