5.4mm 10MP GoPro lens

How long did it take you to disassemble, focus and reassemble the camera?
How did you focus the lens?

I do not see a need to have more one lens as it will work with all of the different frame rates that the GP has to offer.
I would say an hour and a half, m/l. I would say it's roughly equivalent in time and bother to replacing a phantom's shell. Focusing was the hardest part. Well, the most tedious at least. I adjusted the lens in and out (twisting it against the threads) while watching it on a high-res monitor. I had to estimate the minimum focus distance for the lens. By trial and error, I got it right. I used 1/8" window screen beading around the lens to lock it in place.

My comment about he additional lens is that there are occasional times when I would want to have wide angle- on and off my Phantom, though I feel this focal length is much more usable.

I could post some photos of the lens change if you like. I did a test aerial video last night, but my render machine is being re-configured today, so that won't be ready until later today.

This is how I locked my 5.4mm lens in place
That is 1/8" window screen beading holding the lens in position. Thread lock would also work, but this also served the purpose of closing the gap around the lens.

Rubber O rings also work nicely

Didn't you the rubber locking ring with your lens? Once the focus was setup I used a small amount of hot glue to lock it down before closing up the case.

Didn't you the rubber locking ring with your lens? Once the focus was setup I used a small amount of hot glue to lock it down before closing up the case.
I used the rubber beading instead. It's very tightly locked - and marked. I could put thread locker on later if there is a problem, but the rubber beading is very tight

This is the locking ring that came with the lens. It replaces the plastic locking ring that is mounted on the stock lens.
IMG_2537.jpg

Are you using the clear lens protector over the new lens?
IMG_2538.jpg IMG_2540.jpg
I glued the lens hood right onto the lens protector and use it on sunny days.

Here is my lens test with the new 5.4mm on my GP 4 black in full HD. SHot @ 4K @30 fps in moderate wind (7-8 mph).

It is NOT a carefully shot video- I just wanted to see the aspect and the sharpness.

Would love your opinion, please:

[https://vimeo.com/user14435126/review/127670500/2a396890b7

Well the lens is sharp and the overall video is great. Shooting into the sun gives off allot of lens flare which might be controlled with a ND filter I've also noticed that lens flare at certain angles.

What mode were you flying in GPS or ATTI? If you can increase the video in your software to 200% look close at the footage 2:10 in at clip and tell me what you see.

Well the lens is sharp and the overall video is great. Shooting into the sun gives off allot of lens flare which might be controlled with a ND filter I've also noticed that lens flare at certain angles.

What mode were you flying in GPS or ATTI? If you can increase the video in your software to 200% look close at the footage 2:10 in at clip and tell me what you see.
GPS. Away from my computer, but I will check it manana

Ragecams is not over priced but you are buying 2 lens for $229.99 usd

At peauproductions the same lens 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp is $140.00 usd

Here test footage from that lens shot in 4K @ 15fps but it looks better at 2.7K @ 30fps using GP 3+ bl. Had no jello, prop strobing nor fisheye.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
At the time I wanted to address this fisheye question on my Go pro3+bl, Ragecam was popping out but at an outrageous price. They were also claiming being the only ones qualified to provide this type of lens and being able to install it the right way. It created a lot of controversy at the time, but they couldn't stand on that very long as it has been quickly shown on youtube that they were just trying to frighten the DIY geniuses around. Their lenses are no better than the ones available in the far east (since that's probably where they come from anyway). Good thing they lowered the price to the acceptable, but I don't really get the 2 lenses package... 1 is enough for most of users. Is your video shot with one of these lenses?

At the time I wanted to address this fisheye question on my Go pro3+bl, Ragecam was popping out but at an outrageous price. They were also claiming being the only ones qualified to provide this type of lens and being able to install it the right way. It created a lot of controversy at the time, but they couldn't stand on that very long as it has been quickly shown on youtube that they were just trying to frighten the DIY geniuses around. Their lenses are no better than the ones available in the far east (since that's probably where they come from anyway). Good thing they lowered the price to the acceptable, but I don't really get the 2 lenses package... 1 is enough for most of users. Is your video shot with one of these lenses?

Just check Ragecams site and their price is still $229.99 and that is for one lens(my error). Pueaproductions price is $140 (£ 88.58) plus shipping is $25 (£ 15.82) and the vat charge in the UK is £38. Those are the prices Hughie in Leeds, UK paid. Surveilzone's price $99.99 but you would have to check to see what shipping is because they are in NY.

I bought mine from Puea for $140.00 usd for the 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens and rubber locking ring.

From Surveilzone for $99.99 usd you get 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens and no rubber locking ring. This is fact as DattaGroover bought his from there.

Ragecams is over priced for their lens which is the same lens sold by everyone else.

Just check Ragecams site and their price is still $229.99 and that is for one lens(my error). Pueaproductions price is $140 (£ 88.58) plus shipping is $25 (£ 15.82) and the vat charge in the UK is £38. Those are the prices Hughie in Leeds, UK paid. Surveilzone's price $99.99 but you would have to check to see what shipping is because they are in NY.

I bought mine from Puea for $140.00 usd for the 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens and rubber locking ring.

From Surveilzone for $99.99 usd you get 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens and no rubber locking ring. This is fact as DattaGroover bought his from there.

Ragecams is over priced for their lens which is the same lens sold by everyone else.

$99 is a good price. I got mine in June 14 from Focusafe (China) for $88. But with the taxes, shipping etc I paid actually $113. Still not bad.

$99 is a good price. I got mine in June 14 from Focusafe (China) for $88. But with the taxes, shipping etc I paid actually $113. Still not bad.

Did they supply you with the rubber locking ring? The price of $88 isn't bad but I for one do not trust the Chinese just to many counterfeits. But if your happy guess that's all that counts.

Did they supply you with the rubber locking ring? The price of $88 isn't bad but I for one do not trust the Chinese just to many counterfeits. But if your happy guess that's all that counts.
No rubber ring, was not an option at the time. The picture is just perfect, and this company seems to be a proper CCTV lens manufacturer.

No, this is with a $99 Honk Kong lens from Surveilzone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic