4k playback

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone give me any help with playing back 4k video, ive got a samsung tab 4 and a sony experia z3
as well as an older pc, whats the best route to go down to be able to play 4k back, as none of my hardware are able to cope, iv'e heard of somone flashing a tablet to get 4k playback but to be honest i'm not sure of the best way to go about it on a budget, i'd be grateful for any help, thanks

Save yourself the headache and just record in 1080. You aren't going to tell any difference on any of those devices as they can't display 4k resolution. If you want to edit it, ok you can get a bit better quality when downgrading to 1080, but you need a machine capable of doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Save yourself the headache and just record in 1080. You aren't going to tell any difference on any of those devices as they can't display 4k resolution. If you want to edit it, ok you can get a bit better quality when downgrading to 1080, but you need a machine capable of doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1. 4k on a budget? Budget != cutting edge.

Hi, thanks for the reply, you maybe right about recording in 1080, but I was hoping to get a 4 tv and maybe a media player as well, it would be nice to be able to record 4 now but be able to watch it without all the jerry playback, and wait till I get a device to watch 4 later,

In that case I would say save it in 4k and convert a copy down to 1080 for viewing on those devices. Then you can watch the 4k file later.

That sounds like a good idea, I'm a beginner when it comes to the software, tech side.
So I'm not sure what software to use and how to do it, I've spent quite a few years flying rc fixed wing aircraft and helicopters, so this is quite new to me so any help i can get I'd be grateful for

I can only watch the 4k footage though my 4k tv, i cannot edit as my pc is not powerful enough to even play it let alone edit it, next big purchase of mine is to upgrade my pc.

That sounds like a good idea, I'm a beginner when it comes to the software, tech side.
So I'm not sure what software to use and how to do it, I've spent quite a few years flying rc fixed wing aircraft and helicopters, so this is quite new to me so any help i can get I'd be grateful for

I have what I thought was a run-of-the-mill PC, but maybe it's better than I thought!
I've been shooting in 4K (on both the P3P and my Hero 4 Silver). I've been saving the 4K originals and processing them into 1080 for viewing - almost exclusively using GoPro Studio. The GoPro Studio is free - you might find something later that's better, but it probably won't be free. There are a surprising number of choices that sell for less than $100 U.S.

There are numerous videos on YouTube where experts provide details and explain why 4K processed into 1080 is better than "original" 1080.

For reference purposes, my system is:

Windows 7 Home Premium
i5 - 3470 CP?U @ 3.20 GHz
8 GB RAM 64-bit system

Bought it from a local mom&pop computer store for around $700 - over a year ago. Also running what I figure is a run-of-the-mill video system - a big monitor, but nothing else special.

Thanks for the help, what's file should I record in to work best on a TV. Would mp4 be OK?

Thanks for the help, what's file should I record in to work best on a TV. Would mp4 be OK?

I think the determining factor is your DVD player. Typically, a Blu-Ray player *should* be able to play .mp4 files, but I have encountered a few here and there that would not. I got so tired of mine not working like I expected, that I "cheat."

I bought a 15' HDMI cable (more about this in a moment) and connected it directly to my laptop and show the .mp4 file to the TV directly. If your laptop can't support HDMI you may be forced to stay with your DVD/Blue Ray player.

HDMI cables - DO NOT BE MISLED BY THE CLERK AT THE STORE! *All* HDMI cables work the same way. You absolutely do not have to spend a fortune buying things like MONSTER cables at ridiculous prices. The only reason to spend more money on a different cable, is the quality of the cable, i.e., a really, really cheap one may have crappy plastic or vinyl. If you spend a little more you may get one that's still moderately flexible, but built well enough to last for years. But there's absolutely no reason to spend $75 (or more!) at places like Best Buy for an HDMI cable.

My gripe about the players - if you own one that will NOT play a native .mp4 file, you may end up having to convert the file to a format your player will support - your manual should tell you what it can and can't play. The problem in so many cases with conversion, is that you often lose a lot of resolution. A classic example is converted .mp4 to .VOB format. I've not seen any that will retain the nice crisp 1080 I started with. The .vob format "downgrades" the resolution to something I deem pretty crappy.

Maybe we'll see lots of other ideas here from others. (Hopefully from some who are far more expert than I.)

To anyone that's interested, I put my phantom micro sd card into my sony experia z3
Any to my delight it plays 4k no problem, without compressing no hassles, happy days,
Now all I need is a tablet that replays 4k and I'm sorted

To anyone that's interested, I put my phantom micro sd card into my sony experia z3
Any to my delight it plays 4k no problem, without compressing no hassles, happy days,
Now all I need is a tablet that replays 4k and I'm sorted

I missed something. Isn't a Sony Experia Z3 on the "approved" DJI list? If that plays 4K, *and* you can use it with your Phantom, what else do you need?

Yeah your right, I've only just got the z3 and didn't know it would play 4k when I posted

Yeah your right, I've only just got the z3 and didn't know it would play 4k when I posted

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 - how much bigger (if any) is your screen, relative to mine? I need something bigger, but I'm trying to be cheap!

Hi,I'm pretty sure there about the same size, the next thing I'm going to try is the screen cast Function, if I plug in a crome cast stick I can send the screen image to my TV. I'll let you know if I get it working

I was haveing a real hard time getting 2.7k videos to play with out looking like a slide show one frame at a time on my pc and 4k would not even play whats so ever. then I got a older refurbished dell for about $460 from amazon that has a much faster processor a lot more ram and its even got a 2gb video card in it and it plays the 4k videos full screen without so much as even a single hick up or glitch even if I open and play a few at a time. I also now have a much larger hard drive and can store a lot more videos to with out worrying about filling up my drive in no time. Tho now I want to get a bigger monitor that will also do full 4K resolution. After seeing them on a friends computer who has a 4k monitor the video quality was absolutely unbelievable.

Sounds like you're sorted, I've now set up cromecast and I can watch the z3 playback on my HD TV. Obviously the quality isn't anything special, but I'm thinking of getting a 4k TV soon, so it'll have to do for now

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31