3rd Flight on P4P V2 and almost crash with RTH

Reaction score
Hello old pals, so finally got a P4P version 2.0 last week and tried a distance fly tonight along with Return To Home (RTH). Let me say that I rarely use RTH on my P3P but I do when I am in trouble and its a last resort. So anyways, I wanted to test it on the P4P this evening and well this happened...….

Has anyone had this issue?

I immediately exited out of RTH and manually flew it home. I was loosing altitude fast while in RTH mode and loosing altitude with manual horizontal movement. Ive never seen anything like it.

I was lucky to have made it home without a crash. I have never had a crash in 5 years (Knock on wood)

Any advice??

Thanks

Wow! I felt seasick watching that.

Was it just the gimbal going nuts or was the whole drone shaking like that?

I’ve also never gotten the landing gear in my shot before so that seemed odd too. Is this brand new?

Has anyone had this issue?

I immediately exited out of RTH and manually flew it home. I was loosing altitude fast while in RTH mode and loosing altitude with manual horizontal movement. Ive never seen anything like it.
All we can tell from the video is that the camera was flopping around, which is unlikely to be related to RTH.
We can't tell anything about what was happening with the drone.
The recorded flight data should explain a lot.
To see what the data says, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Wow! I felt seasick watching that.

Was it just the gimbal going nuts or was the whole drone shaking like that?

I’ve also never gotten the landing gear in my shot before so that seemed odd too. Is this brand new?

Yes its brand new. IT felt like the whole thing was shaking and coming out of the sky. But it was actually stable, just the gimble was shaking like that.

All we can tell from the video is that the camera was flopping around, which is unlikely to be related to RTH.
We can't tell anything about what was happening with the drone.
The recorded flight data should explain a lot.
To see what the data says, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Hey Meta4, I remember you from back in the day on here. Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded my flight record and here it is...

Update: I flew 3 batteries this morning and tried to mimic the behavior and nothing. RTH worked as it should and no crazy camera movements. I did do an IMU and controller calibration last night.

Thanks

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-29_[20-14-35].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,445
Im not sure if this is the correct file as it looks like an encrypted file. Let me know if this is the correct one. I also saved a CSV file and KMZ

Hey Meta4, I remember you from back in the day on here. Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded my flight record and here it is...

Update: I flew 3 batteries this morning and tried to mimic the behavior and nothing. RTH worked as it should and no crazy camera movements. I did do an IMU and controller calibration last night.

Thanks
That's the right file.
If you uploaded it to the site mentioned, you would see this:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
It looks like you entered RTH at 10:07.6 at a height of 223ft and the Phantom maintained height until you resumed control at 10:22.7
Perhaps it was an illusion that made you think it was losing height.

There have been some comments about gimbal issues with the latest model and the most recent firmware was to correct this.

Reactions: Dunbeazy
Gotcha. Well everything was updated to latest firmware, so the issue must still exist. I think I am going to send this one back. Just too many warning signs or red flags. It’s been about a week and a half and I prefer my P3P over the P4P.
Anyways, thanks Meta4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1