3D models on live action

Reaction score
Hi all -

I've got a self build home that I want to fly my drone over, but I want to overlay the timber structure of the home which I have from the architects to show its 'skeleton'.

So I figured I could do this in after effects but want to know best way to correlate the flight's path in 3D space with the model so they sit over each other perfectly.

My ideas were to somehow export the flight path data from the flight and use this (not sure what I'd do with it once exported) or to use pixel tracking. Any other ideas or more developed thinking on this? If I google all I get back is people using drones to map things in 3D to create new 3D images. I'm not trying to do that; im trying
To overlay an existing 3D model over live action drone footage.

Thanks!

Whew, that's big project! you would have to tap into the link or RC to capture in realtime the gimbal position, compass heading and GPS location. Then process the 3D data to correspond to the direction you are looking and scale it to fit the range! Then overlay that with the video feed from the aircraft. That takes a lot of computing power (serious 3D gaming machine). Probably a bigger project than any any hobbiest can take on, even if you could hack into the feed to get the required data.

Thanks for that - I didn't realise that the dji app doesn't include gimbal position but that makes sense now that I think about it.

So maybe plan b is worth investigating then.. simply pixel tracking in after effects...

There are few options that might simplify the task. You could put several 'markers' on your house's structure, such as bright yellow/red large balls, then do a grid calibration against shots of the house from various angles and ultimately use that to 'match/correlate' the house's skeleton against photos from the camera. There is one piece of software that can do that (ProAnalyst by xcitex), I attended a webex they did a while back, and the idea back then was how to create 3D models from multiple go-pro cameras. Granted, here you have only one camera, but your structure (house) is static and you can get away by using shots from various angles, while the camera is moving.

Yes, what you're after is doable, but it comes down to how much time you want to spend and the precision i.e., comparing the skeleton model against the actual house.

Curious as to how this project evolves so, let us know as you move forward.

ProAnalyst Toolkits - Xcitex Inc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj