3 bladed propellers

I was looking for some spare blades and came across some 3 bladed props. Has anyone here used them? Can the be used and what are the advantage and disadvantages of them?

I'll defer to those more qualified for a more definitive answer but, I believe three-blade props are less efficient than two-blades for use on the Phantoms. There may also be some undesirable effects caused by three-blades. I believe the consensus is to fly with the prop design supplied by the manufacturer. Just my two cents.

I'd have to agree with flying with DJI props. Balancing 3 bladed props is a little more difficult too. My only experience with aftermarket prop wasn't very good, props were horribly unbalanced and still after balancing generated quite a bit of vibration... I've taken an oath to only use OEM props from now on.

More blades = reduced efficiency.

If you can swing a two bladed prop there’s no advantage to swinging three.

The advent of multi-blade props is/was to reduce disc diameter for ground or fuselage clearance or to make use of available power where a two-blader would be impractical.

The advent of multi-blade props is/was to reduce disc diameter for ground or fuselage clearance or to make use of available power where a two-blader would be impractical.

Reason for 3 or 4 and more blades has more to do with blade speed at the tip. The longer the blade the faster the tip is going and is/was a limiting factor due to tip speed passing the sound barrier and thus causing loss of lift on blades running into the disturbed air along with structural damage to the blades caused by the impact of the sonic boom.

It would seem to me that putting 3 blades on a P3 would possibly result in decreased noise levels. However it could also cause a reduction in lift thus requiring increased rpm to operate and thus reduced battery life.

Reason for 3 or 4 and more blades has more to do with blade speed at the tip. The longer the blade the faster the tip is going and is/was a limiting factor due to tip speed passing the sound barrier and thus causing loss of lift on blades running into the disturbed air along with structural damage to the blades caused by the impact of the sonic boom.

It would seem to me that putting 3 blades on a P3 would possibly result in decreased noise levels. However it could also cause a reduction in lift thus requiring increased rpm to operate and thus reduced battery life.

One could argue sound reduction would result in some situations but you are wrong as to the advent.

It was to reduce disc diameter for either ground or fuselage clearance in high performance aircraft or multi-engine aircraft respectively.

It was to reduce disc diameter for either ground or fuselage clearance in high performance aircraft or multi-engine aircraft respectively.

I did not realize we were talking about fixed winged aircraft, I presumed, obviously mistakenly, that we were discussing rotary aircraft which the P3 more closely resembles. Yes. In which case what I said is perfectly correct.

It does not matter. We’re talking about why you’d use more blades.

It’s far better to use the fewest necessary. DJI has designed and tuned their propulsion system for two blades.

Not mention mass increase and more difficulty to balance a tri-blade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna