3.5 miles out and back again with the Phantom 3 Standard

198f3003e4e5cdb01491101180f22c29.jpg

How so. I was flying within the rules and gave the manned aircraft the right of way as I’m supposed to. My point was that if I wasn’t VLOS it could have been worse. I should point out that both choppers where flying low and possibly below they’re 500 ft limit. I’m following the all rules to a T so how would I have caused a close call. How am I to know when a manned aircraft is headed my way unless I have VLOS. Are you saying the FAA shouldn’t have given me permission to fly this area because there might be aircraft around? Just saying.
I assume your referring to 500 feet AGL, if so that is not the limit. Look up FAR 91.119 for more info and don't forget around airports aircraft practice engine out procedures at anytime. Unless you have a reason to fly your drone around an airport like areal survey and in that case you need permission from the airport manager and then a NOTAM will be posted and that takes time like about week or two. Anyway, I'm not going to get into an argument into what possibility could happen. I don't fly around airports because I don't belong there for a number of safety reasons. Just for the record, (and I'm not an ahole), if I'm in the pattern and someone calls over the airport frequency to tell me they're flying a drone there and I should look out for them while I'm lookinf for other aircraft entering the pattern without a radio and no drone NOTAM was filed, as soon as I land I will be filing an NTSB report and contacting the local GADO.
This is a general statement and I'm not directing it to any one person. You push your luck and murphy's law will get you. You may loose a drone but someone may loose their family.

Reactions: Tenisyn
TRC thanks for your replies, as mentioned before I’m new to part 107 flying and joined this forum to learn.

By directing me to FAR 91.119 I assume you are referring to paragraph D. I’m aware they’re allowed to operate below the minimums, it was also a question on my test. This is the reason I know the importance of flying VLOS.

Here’s more info about these flights. Client needs a property documented within class D airspace just on the outer perimeter. I apply for a laanc permit using Airmap depicting my flight details and times. I’m given permission to fly 300. I conduct my flight without any maverick intentions, then the chopper thing. The other instance there was no automated system to apply so I called got permission and was even instructed to contact another airport close by just to they knew I was around. So at this time I should be cleared to fly yes? Air traffic should know that in that sector there will be an UAV? No sarcasm here, I need to know I’m doing my flights legally and safely.

A majority of my clientele is outside any major airspace so applying for permission only comes when a call comes in for a job closer to the city. I take extreme care flying in populated areas, I like you would rather not fly around airports but a decent payday can’t be overlooked. Again thanks for the replies and any answers provided.

Reactions: Tenisyn
TRC thanks for your replies, as mentioned before I’m new to part 107 flying and joined this forum to learn.

By directing me to FAR 91.119 I assume you are referring to paragraph D. I’m aware they’re allowed to operate below the minimums, it was also a question on my test. This is the reason I know the importance of flying VLOS.

Here’s more info about these flights. Client needs a property documented within class D airspace just on the outer perimeter. I apply for a laanc permit using Airmap depicting my flight details and times. I’m given permission to fly 300. I conduct my flight without any maverick intentions, then the chopper thing. The other instance there was no automated system to apply so I called got permission and was even instructed to contact another airport close by just to they knew I was around. So at this time I should be cleared to fly yes? Air traffic should know that in that sector there will be an UAV? No sarcasm here, I need to know I’m doing my flights legally and safely.

A majority of my clientele is outside any major airspace so applying for permission only comes when a call comes in for a job closer to the city. I take extreme care flying in populated areas, I like you would rather not fly around airports but a decent payday can’t be overlooked. Again thanks for the replies and any answers provided.
Sounds like you're doing what you should be. I've had my drone up to 400 feet and quite frankly with the camera I have the viedo is not all that great. Anyway, Fly safe

Sounds like you're doing what you should be. I've had my drone up to 400 feet and quite frankly with the camera I have the viedo is not all that great. Anyway, Fly safe

Agreed, the only time I get close to 400 is when I do the Birdseye view on properties, besides that lower altitudes provide best photos/videos of specific subjects.

Back to the topic at hand, any drone pilot doesn’t know who’s operating beyond LOS and personally I think the original flight was risky.

Cheers.

really enjoyed the scenery, living in a bosnia dont have so many flat parts of the land, its mostly covered with mountains,
thanks for the video, it was obvious that you picked route carefully, I would be very nervous to send a quad to autonomous mission that far :)

A personal best range and distance that was achieved a few weeks ago.
This was a waypoint mission using Litchi.
Farthest waypoint was 3.5 miles or 5.7 km away.
Total distance was 7 miles or 11.4 km or 37,400 ft.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Did you fly with the DJI GO app? What kind of range did you get with it?

Read the post again. The second sentence says 'this was a waypoint mission using Litchi'
I did,what I meant is,I guess I formed the question wrong,is:did he fly with the dji go app before he started using the litchi? Just to compare the results of litchi and dji go apps

I did,what I meant is,I guess I formed the question wrong,is:did he fly with the dji go app before he started using the litchi? Just to compare the results of litchi and dji go apps
I feel pretty sure everybody starts out with go before they find out how much better litchi is.

BTW, range is not dependent on which app you use, unless you're flying a waypoint mission with Litchi. Actually, GO will do waypoints too but you have to fly to each waypoint and mark it first, so it's limited to the range of the remote controller

Last edited:
Reckless, shmeckless. The guy (NG Phantom) took every possible precaution to insure that the flight would be completed without endangering
anyone.
I, for one, salute your chutzpa, Sir.
I would be fainting at the first time the RC said 'signal lost, battery 0%'.
Carry on, mate.

A personal best range and distance that was achieved a few weeks ago.
This was a waypoint mission using Litchi.
Farthest waypoint was 3.5 miles or 5.7 km away.
Total distance was 7 miles or 11.4 km or 37,400 ft.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Incredibly stupid and reckless. For what, so you can post this stupid video?

Incredibly stupid and reckless. For what, so you can post this stupid video?
Sorry you feel this way.
I had been hoping to upload some pre-Christmas footage of Gatwick airport for you to enjoy ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic