2312 Motor issue - UPDATE FROM DJI!!!

flyNfrank said:
DU162 said:
Hi Guys
My names David from Scotland. This is my 1st post so be gentle
Just found this forum after buying my V+ Version 3 and I was wondering what to do?

I opened up my bird and I have no version number on the sticker So what do I do?

My advice would to open the top cover and look for 2.1 on your ESC label. If is no 2.1, then call dji tech support right away. Don't ignore this because it is not a fluke. I and so many other currently sit with a ball of plastic debre.

He need to call his supplier as he said it does not have a variant number on.

If they don't know, ship it back and get a refund.

CapnBob said:
Mori55 said:
Well that's fine if you have a new v3. But what about us who did a motor upgrade. My pv+ esc say V2. So how do you know ?

What I heard/read/saw on this forum was that if you don't get 4 beeps on powering up, and the front LEDs only go red when you start motors,
you have the correct ESC firmware. Do not take that as gospel. Research these forums..

I have an older (Non V3) V+. I have done the V3 upgrades, but still have my original ESCs installed because they exhibit this behavior.
I'm holding off on both further flying and changing out to the new ESCs until I have more info.
There is a lot of opinionated and conflicting information hovering about, and I'm not risking the bird until I know the answers.
That's exactly my problem too. Now what do we do ? I really don't want to buy new esc if I don't have to. I've been researching till my head spins. Know one really knows.

Shuether said:
DU162 said:
Thanks for the swift reply

Yeah i did open it up and there is no version at all on the label

Mine has the same, nothing on sticker for v number, ordered in mid Nov.

My P2 V2 non vision is blank also.
So to be clear, on the ESC sticker, if you have a blank version next to the QR, then these are the V2.0 with the dud firmware, and that you need to contact your supplier?

OK, I've been trying to follow this for a week or so now, but I'm getting confused.

Mine is the new V3, but I haven't opened it up yet, I will when I get home.

To confirm, if it doesn't say V2.1 then we've got a problem?

arich666 said:
OK, I've been trying to follow this for a week or so now, but I'm getting confused.

Mine is the new V3, but I haven't opened it up yet, I will when I get home.

To confirm, if it doesn't say V2.1 then we've got a problem?

possibly

it would seem firmware version 4.06 is the latest.
The ESC that have this should have 2.1 on the QR label.

Let me throw a kink in here. I have a v3.0 vision plus. Exchanged mid Dec in U.S. from DDM/Amazon.
Opened mine up again. It has v2.1 in sticker.

However. .. I had two sets of wires melted onto the other. No crashes etc.

The wires stuck together are front and rear right/stbd

Red and Yellow are lightly melted together and had to pull then apart. I've now separated them. Oh boy. o_O

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420497052807.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420497052807.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 429
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420497062059.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420497062059.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 379
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420497075022.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420497075022.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 399
CapnBob said:
Mori55 said:
Well that's fine if you have a new v3. But what about us who did a motor upgrade. My pv+ esc say V2. So how do you know ?

What I heard/read/saw on this forum was that if you don't get 4 beeps on powering up, and the front LEDs only go red when you start motors,
you have the correct ESC firmware. Do not take that as gospel. Research these forums..

I have an older (Non V3) V+. I have done the V3 upgrades, but still have my original ESCs installed because they exhibit this behavior.
I'm holding off on both further flying and changing out to the new ESCs until I have more info.
There is a lot of opinionated and conflicting information hovering about, and I'm not risking the bird until I know the answers.

CapnBob, I went the same route. Except I also searched RCGroups and the forum on dji before ordering. Back then it was said what you mentioned, and then if you had v2.0 on the ESC or label you were ok. I checked my ESC's and saw based off of this I would not need to order ESC's, so I didn't. After the install I flew my quad with more caution then I ever had prior to the install.

tritontr21 said:

Red and Yellow are lightly melted together and had to pull then apart. I've now separated them. Oh boy. o_O

I see no melting there. It seems more like hot glue residue(white semi transparent stuff), like if they used a drop of it to hold the wires together on purpose. Can you make some better photos, where it could be actually seen that the wire insulation is damaged?

Edit nvm

tritontr21 said:
Let me throw a kink in here. I have a v3.0 vision plus. Exchanged mid Dec in U.S. from DDM/Amazon.

I think you will find that's glue. I had a little on mine too just on the one side. No melting

tritontr21 said:

This is no surprise to many of us. The fets look like they can handle 12 amps or so, the wire not so much. Not enough surface area for heat sinking and nearly zero "reliable flexibility".

Did nearly everyone think Hani I made up the issue? Look at the freaking wires... their pathetic. Fly it aggressive under load in a hot climate and see what happens, throw is a little glitchy esc..... Poof up in smoke.

How about a little high frequency vibration with the plastic insulation touching :lol: I cant help but chuckle. I have had various plastic bodies welded together in sections from vibration.

Silicone insulation has its place and so does flexible braided wire. It supposed to be running in place here.

So now DJI is gluing the plastic insulated wires together? :shock: I will wait for confirmation I just dont believe it...

flyNfrank said:
CapnBob, I went the same route. Except I also searched RCGroups and the forum on dji before ordering. Back then it was said what you mentioned, and then if you had v2.0 on the ESC or label you were ok. I checked my ESC's and saw based off of this I would not need to order ESC's, so I didn't. After the install I flew my quad with more caution then I ever had prior to the install.

I believe all phantom 2 models have ESCs with white "V2" mark on the ESC board itself. Then they made the new ESCs which came with aditional V2.0 and V2.1 printed on the white label on the other side of the ESC(towards the motor)

Utterly idiotic! So easily to confuse people. I mean DJI.... WHAT THE F*** ... two V2 markings on the same electronic board, meaning two different things

And what the hell should new owners do now first thing they get their Phantoms out of the box?! dismantle it?! And then either solder or send back to China...
Phantom 2 is essentially not a RTF(ready to fly) model anymore!

Nathan Carter said:
tritontr21 said:

I see no melting there. It seems more like hot glue residue(white semi transparent stuff), like if they used a drop of it to hold the wires together on purpose. Can you make some better photos, where it could be actually seen that the wire insulation is damaged?
When I upload it compresses the photo. All I can tell you is two sets of wires were stuck together and I had to pull them apart. The others were not like that. Almost like a clear coating came off one of the wires. Does not look like glue on the others. Make sense?

burlbark said:
tritontr21 said:

This is no surprise to many of us. The fets look like they can handle 12 amps or so, the wire not so much. Not enough surface area for heat sinking and nearly zero "reliable flexibility".

Did nearly everyone think Hani I made up the issue? Look at the freaking wires... their pathetic. Fly it aggressive under load in a hot climate and see what happens, throw is a little glitchy esc..... Poof up in smoke.

How about a little high frequency vibration with the plastic insulation touching :lol: I cant help but chuckle. I have had various plastic bodies welded together in sections from vibration.

Silicone insulation has its place and so does flexible braided wire. It supposed to be running in place here.

So now DJI is gluing the plastic insulated wires together? :shock: I will wait for confirmation I just dont believe it...
I've seen this type of wire before, When it gets hot or older that clear looking plastic comes of of it. Exactly what this looks like. Hope I'm wrong.

tritontr21 said:

If you have the 2.1 ESC's and your motor wires are melting together, then this makes this entire thread and this DJI announcement moot.

Problem not solved.

Of course they aren't glueing wires together, it's simply residual!

I feel some people want this to be an issue and want DJI to be seen to have made a faulty item. It's very annoying.

How many V3's have had an issue with the ESC failing? That's without having a crash landing, a tip over, sudden stop of the prop.

It's a very serious piece of kit and if it gets in the wrong hands or miss-used it's prone to fail.

Problem is with these Phantoms, unlike model planes they require zero skill - any Tom, **** or Harry can buy one and fly it. I think that's half the wrong, if not the entire problem.

tritontr21 said:
I've seen this type of wire before, When it gets hot or older that clear looking plastic comes of of it. Exactly what this looks like. Hope I'm wrong.

Electrical wire that creates a clear substance when it gets hot or melts... talk about clutching at straws :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl