2 crashes 2 separate drones Phantom 4 pro same symptoms

Reaction score
Both crashes occured when drone was supposed to auto land after a waypoint mission using mappilot
drone starts descending then starts spinning out of control and crashes

Would like some assistance in determining reason
As a reference Apr 15 11:06 is a successfull mission with auto landing ( are there any indications of issues in this log ? ) - log does show autoland was engaged

these two logs show descent but dont show auto landing was engaged from what I can interpret
Apr 15 11:58 - same drone as above but crashed during auto landing
Apr 17 11:39 - different drone but crash happened during auto landing again

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-04-15_[11-06-27].txt
    995.9 KB · Views: 172
  • DJIFlightRecord_2022-04-15_[11-58-18].txt
    638.7 KB · Views: 119
  • DJIFlightRecord_2022-04-17_[11-39-13].txt
    1 MB · Views: 128
Both crashes occured when drone was supposed to auto land after a waypoint mission using mappilot

As a reference Apr 15 11:06 is a successfull mission with auto landing ( are there any indications of issues in this log ? ) - log does show autoland was engaged

these two logs show descent but dont show auto landing was engaged from what I can interpret

FLY .DAT for the apr 15 successful flight and the failed flight

Onedrive link to files

FLY185 - successful
FLY186 - failed

15 April 11:58am
Stable flight until 216.8 sec when the drone rolled hard to the left, pitched back and started spinning anti-clockwise, tumbling to the ground.
This indicates a problem with the left/rear motor or propeller.

17 Apr 11:39am
At 311.7 sec the drone rolls hard left, pitches forward, spins anti-clockwise losing height.
This looks like the left, front motor or propeller was the issue.

15 April 11:58am
Stable flight until 216.8 sec when the drone rolled hard to the left, pitched back and started spinning anti-clockwise, tumbling to the ground.
This indicates a problem with the left/rear motor or propeller.

17 Apr 11:39am
At 311.7 sec the drone rolls hard left, pitches forward, spins anti-clockwise losing height.
This looks like the left, front motor or propeller was the issue.
Thanks for the info

Interesting that two separate drones , each with their own set of props had very similar problem

the apr 17 is fairly new and not many hours

the apr 15 the drone has flown many mission with no errors reported , speed or otherwise

Thanks for the info

Interesting that two separate drones , each with their own set of props had very similar problem

the apr 17 is fairly new and not many hours

the apr 15 the drone has flown many mission with no errors reported , speed or otherwise
The apr 15 log the drone had started to descend, was the auto land/RTH enabled before it had the issue

The apr 17 looks like this started before the auto land would have initiated based on the altitude
the flights were all automated waypoint missions, which come back and auto land , but looking at the failed logs it doesn't seem the autoland was actually engaged (from my limit4ed abilities )

The apr 15 log the drone had started to descend, was the auto land/RTH enabled before it had the issue

The apr 17 looks like this started before the auto land would have initiated based on the altitude
the flights were all automated waypoint missions, which come back and auto land , but looking at the failed logs it doesn't seem the autoland was actually engaged (from my limit4ed abilities )
Both incidents started at 202 feet before any autolanding had commenced.

Onedrive link to files

FLY185 - successful
FLY186 - failed
Is it possible during the descent, you might have held the left joystick back or squeezed it and pulled it back inadvertently? I did that and the same thing happened to me as it did to you. Just mentioning it just in case.........

How odd is that to have two separate drones have a motor failure ( or prop ) but Im leaning towards motor.

Right before they would engage auto land.
Is it possible during the descent, you might have held the left joystick back or squeezed it and pulled it back inadvertently? I did that and the same thing happened to me as it did to you. Just mentioning it just in case.........
It was supposed to be auto landing, and just before that would have happened the incident occured, no stick movement was being done

the apr 17 flight once it started out of control I did try the sticks to see it it would recover

Onedrive link to files

FLY185 - successful
FLY186 - failed
Can you provide FLY370.DAT? That would be the .DAT for the alternate P4(Pro) corresponding to the 3rd .txt you submitted. I'll be looking to see if the incident occurred at the same point in the mission. In FLY186.DAT the incident started when all the mission actions had been completed
1650467867088.png

Looks to be the same problem; i.e. in FLY370.DAT the incident also started when all the mission actions had been completed.
1650473879128.png

Both the P4 and P4Pro were running the same FW. My guess is that the interface between MapPilot and the FW has a problem. There may be something unusual, but correct, about the way you specify missions that tickles this bug.

In the folders for both craft I have posted here, I have extracted the .dat file and looking at
(the 2 crashed flights)
FLY370.log.txt
FLY186.log.txt

(the successful flight )
FLY185.log.txt

I'm not seeing any difference in the mission setup
but between fly186 and fly185 there does seem to be a lot of difference leading up to the mission setting

They all use the same end of mission setting
GO_HOMEThe aircraft will go home when the mission is complete. If the aircraft is more than 20m away from the home point it will go home and land. Otherwise, it will land directly at the current location.

Last edited:
@EagkeOneUp Looking at the eventLog stream for the incident flights vs the non-incident flights:

Incident flight
1650480633474.png

Non-incident flight
1650480429735.png

I don't really know what this means but it is significant that this discriminates between incident and non-incident.

I was supposing there may be a difference in the way you specified the missions to MapPilot.

They were all set up in the same manner as I have done for a couple of years now
The Apr 17 - drone p4 - has flown many missions with this app , including battery swaps and different locations in the same day just like this day
I always use the terrain awareness

They were all set up in the same manner as I have done for a couple of years now
The Apr 17 - drone p4 - has flown many missions with this app , including battery swaps and different locations in the same day just like this day
I always use the terrain awareness
Have you installed a new version of MapPilot that coincides with the onset of these incidents?

This reminds me a lot about my crashes with Dronedeploy....
2 crashes, 2 different drones, 2 rear left prop problems...

This reminds me a lot about my crashes with Dronedeploy....
2 crashes, 2 different drones, 2 rear left prop problems...

Make me wonder if there were some recent API changes that need better set up from the app using the api
or the api doesn't always do something it should...

DJI has all the aircraft logs and api logs for review..... awaiting their analysis
If they had crashed at different points of the missions they were flying and not both at the moment they were both supposed to start auto landing , I'd be less suspicious

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20