2.7k or 1080...transmission issues with 2.7?

I've always been a SanDisk fan. They make good cards. That being said, they recently made it more troublesome and expensive for me to RMA a bad MicroSD than it was to just go buy a new one. So I bought a PNY, and it's blazing fast.

If it's not too much trouble, could you download the free Black Magic Disk Speed Test and use it to test he PNY card (and any of your other faves that you have handy) and report back what speeds that particular all reports for read and write...?

Like I said, I'm completely happy with the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards (I currently have 5 of them.). The thing that I don't like about SanDisk as a company is the way they have chosen to name their products. They have the Extreme, the Express, yeh Extreme Plus, the Extreme Pro and the Express Plus, Express Pro, etc (or something equally confusing). It would be pretty easy for someone who is trying to follow a recommendation to accidentally but the wrong model - and then they'd encounter the same problem with RMA's you did trying to exchange them!

If it's not too much trouble, could you download the free Black Magic Disk Speed Test and use it to test he PNY card (and any of your other faves that you have handy) and report back what speeds that particular all reports for read and write...?

I'm a PC/Android guy. I tried to try Black Magic tonight, but it won't run on anything I have.

But! I found CrystalDisk, and here's my 64g PNY compared with the stock 16g card: dji16g.jpg pny64g.jpg

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I'm a PC/Android guy. I tried to try Black Magic tonight, but it won't run on anything I have.

But! I found CrystalDisk, and here's my 64g PNY compared with the stock 16g card:View attachment 62318 View attachment 62319

Thanks. I didn't realize that your PNY card was a 64GB one. That's way overkill for a Phantom. Do you happen to have any 16GB or 32GB PNY's? If so, do they run just as fast?

I like to have a 64GB for my DSLR, but for the Phantom I'd rather have 3 or 4 16GB micro SD's than a single 64GB card since it's a best practice to change the memory card after each flight.

I would assume that all of the similarly rates PNY's would run at the same speed regardless of capacity - but these days I try not to assume anything - especially if it's possible to find out for sure.

Given that memory is dirt cheap these days, and that I always record in at least 2.7, I don't really think of it as overkill. For $20, I don't have to worry about missing anything because I forgot to empty the card last night.

And no, it's my only PNY. But I do have this picture of the Sandisk that **** the bed:

sandisk.jpeg

When I first started flying my p3a I used 1080, but then switched over to 2.7 when I found out how much better frame grabs were when using the 2.7.
I don't know if its coincidence or not but both times I used 2.7 I had glitching and freezing on the video feed so I switched back to 1080.

Was the problem because of the 2.7? Could it of been because of the cheap(er) acer tablet I was using? Was it because I was new to the p3? Coincidence?
I'll be honest...I've been afraid to experiment and try it again but would love to go back to the higher resolution.

Anybody who uses 2.7k with the p3 want to chime in?
Thanks
Can be temperature related. You can check this site for a modification of the Gimbal: http://uavdoc.com/2016/phantom-3-advanced-video-lag-fixed/7/
The original related thread was: Phantom 3 Advanced Owners with the bad 2 - 6 second video lag [FINALLY FIXED!]

As now you use 2.7k instead of 1080p there is much more work for the processor and heat could be an issue.
Remember that the P3P has a fan in the Gimbal and that make is able to do 4k.

Reactions: dtviewer
Given that memory is dirt cheap these days, and that I always record in at least 2.7, I don't really think of it as overkill. For $20, I don't have to worry about missing anything because I forgot to empty the card last night.

And no, it's my only PNY. But I do have this picture of the Sandisk that **** the bed:

View attachment 62320

I hear what you're saying - but even taking that into account - 64GB is way overkill for a Phantom and much more than most people need.

Shooting at the full 4K resolution from the moment you power up to the moment the battery dies, you wouldn't fill a 16GB card. Likewise with photos. RAW photos are just under 25MB each. You would need to be able to take 640 of those in a single flight to fill a 16GB card - and even when I am flying grid mapping missions that consume a full battery - I am rarely able to take more than 420 (JPG) images.

So - even a 32GB card would give you the protection you want - although if 64GB makes you feel better - like you said, it's only $20 more. But as far as most people are concerned - and by "most" people - I mean the ones that come here looking for advice - and those that fly without battery mods - I think the best recommendation we can provide to those people is to buy at least 3 or 4 cards - and if they're on any kind of budget, 16GB cards (of the right speed) are more than enough capacity-wise. I would also recommend that they use a newly formatted card for each flight to eliminate any chance of data loss during a crash of flyaway.

There is already and extensive checklist that we should be performing prior to every flight. I've simply added one extra step to mine which says "Format SD Card". After you do it a couple of times, it becomes second nature.

In any case - thanks for the recommendation on the PNY's and for passing on the speed ratings! I'll give their 32GB cards a try!!

So - even a 32GB card would give you the protection you want - although if 64GB makes you feel better - like you said, it's only $20 more.

It's not $20 more, it's just $20. I can spend a weekend flying without ever having to worry about filling it up.

Reactions: Digdat0
I hear what you're saying - but even taking that into account - 64GB is way overkill for a Phantom and much more than most people need.

Shooting at the full 4K resolution from the moment you power up to the moment the battery dies, you wouldn't fill a 16GB card.

Many of us have several batteries. I have 4, so 16GB doesnt cut it, unless you want to replace cards every flight which in my case, guarantees I'll lose them. Sometimes, more is better.

Many of us have several batteries. I have 4, so 16GB doesnt cut it, unless you want to replace cards every flight which in my case, guarantees I'll lose them. Sometimes, more is better.

And if you have a flyaway or crash into water on your 4th or 5th flight of the day - you lose a whole days work!

That's why the best practice exists. It's to prevent against data loss. If convenience is more important to you - that's completely your decision. Anyone who is getting paid for their work will certainly agree with and follow the best practice of using a fresh card for each flight. I have 6 batteries and 6 memory cards. I had a crash into water a couple months ago (bad compass). It occurred on my 4th flight of the day, but fortunately I was using a fresh memory card so I didn't lose anything from my first 3 flights.

Anyhow - at the end of the day - people can make their own choices re: convenience vs data protection - but they should understand the risks of doing so and the reason that the best practice exists. After all, there are only 2 types of people in the world...those that have lost data, and those that are about to! :)

Reactions: Oso
It's not $20 more, it's just $20. I can spend a weekend flying without ever having to worry about filling it up.

$20 USD for a 64GB card with the Write speed you posted? That's a great price! I've been paying $30 - $35 CAD ($27US) for the 32GB SanDisk cards.

Where are you buying them?

After all, there are only 2 types of people in the world...those that have lost data, and those that are about to! :)

One day my phantom may crash, I am under no illusions. But if I keep juggling 4 or more tiny SD cards, I know for sure I'll lose several of them and/or overwrite previous flights on a monthly or weekly basis. I mean seriously, everytime you pop an sd card out in the field, your finger can slip causing it to shoot out several meters, fall in grass or in sand never to be found again.

Comparing that risk vs the phantom sinking to the bottom of the ocean (which I never fly over anyway) is simple math for me. But hey, to each their own.

I could buy a few at US cost, and seeing that that they are the size of a fingernail, mail them for the price of a greeting card and a stamp.

I could buy a few at US cost, and seeing that that they are the size of a fingernail, mail them for the price of a greeting card and a stamp.

What exactly is the name of the PNY card that you use? I searched Amazon Canada and they gave 64GB PNY cards ranging from $31 to $90.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471507574.674979.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471507595.592486.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471507608.562625.jpg

I have this one. It looks like it went up a few dollars. I paid $24.83 to my doorstep.

Prices seem a lot higher in Canada - even after accounting for the exchange rate difference. The 16GB model isn't available in U3 here either. Are you sure the $6.99 one is U3? Here the 16GB U1 is $15.99
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471601757.369062.jpg

In any case, after exchange rate, it looks to be about the same price as the SanDisk Extreme Pro. I've got enough cards for now anyhow - but on my next trip to the US, I'll try to remember to buy some. Maybe a 64GB one for my DSLR or a bunch of 16GB ones for the drone. Thanks for the info.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20