2.7k or 1080...transmission issues with 2.7?

Reaction score
When I first started flying my p3a I used 1080, but then switched over to 2.7 when I found out how much better frame grabs were when using the 2.7.
I don't know if its coincidence or not but both times I used 2.7 I had glitching and freezing on the video feed so I switched back to 1080.

Was the problem because of the 2.7? Could it of been because of the cheap(er) acer tablet I was using? Was it because I was new to the p3? Coincidence?
I'll be honest...I've been afraid to experiment and try it again but would love to go back to the higher resolution.

Anybody who uses 2.7k with the p3 want to chime in?
Thanks

Your tablet gets only 720 p, so the main problem seems to be with the quality of your SD card.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When I first started flying my p3a I used 1080, but then switched over to 2.7 when I found out how much better frame grabs were when using the 2.7.
I don't know if its coincidence or not but both times I used 2.7 I had glitching and freezing on the video feed so I switched back to 1080.

Was the problem because of the 2.7? Could it of been because of the cheap(er) acer tablet I was using? Was it because I was new to the p3? Coincidence?
I'll be honest...I've been afraid to experiment and try it again but would love to go back to the higher resolution.

Anybody who uses 2.7k with the p3 want to chime in?
Thanks

2.7k vs 1080p only controls the resolution of the video that is saved to your SD card. The video streamed back to your device is 720p in both cases and is completely unaffected by the setting.

Purely a coincidence I would think. Go back to 2.7k and enjoy the higher quality frame grabs. If you have any concern over the speed of your SD card and how fast you can save pictures to it - I've done some testing and found that the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB card is one of the best I've seen. A lot of the manufacturers play games with their product claims. I would pass on any product that doesn't clearly break out read speed and write speed. If they don't tell you what the write speed is on the packaging - it's probably crap!

Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to grab a new card and try it out next weekend.

Edit: Looks like both of you guys may have nailed it.
My Transcend even though it is class 10 it is U1 and 45mb/s. The SanDisk you mentioned is class 10 but U3 and 95mb/s.

My Transcend even though it is class 10 it is U1 and 45mb/s.
It only writes at 20MB/s though. Memory cards that write at least at 40MB/s tend to work the best with the Phantom 3. I have a list of commonly used memory cards (along with their write speeds) here.

It only writes at 20MB/s though. Memory cards that write at least at 40MB/s tend to work the best with the Phantom 3. I have a list of commonly used memory cards (along with their write speeds) here.

These are my own, messy, scribbled notes. I tested almost everything I had connected to my iMac - SSD drives, USB flash drives, external USB drives, RAID arrays and SD/microSD cards.

In the SD category - the "SanDisk Extreme Pro" blow away anything else I've purchased in that form factor with a blazing 72MB/s write speed! The Panasonic 16GB microSD offers passable Phantom performance with its 35MB/s write speed - but I like my memory cards to serve double duty in my drone and my DSLR and I find that the SanDisk ones I use do a much better job keeping up when shooting in "burst mode". For the $15 difference in price, it's a no-brainer for me - but as the other poster mentioned, anything that offers greater than 40MB/s write speed is going to be able to keep up with the Phantoms 4K video stream (and likewise with 2.7k) - so go ahead and make your own decision based on all your use cases.

The speed test program I was using is called "Black Magic Disk Speed Test" and it can test anything that connects to your computer and presents a file system.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471294478.330964.jpg

Anyone know how big the cache memory is in the P3P? I'm assuming the cache is used for writing out to the SD card.
Just curious why my Sandisk Ultras SEEM to work properly shooting 4K video?
I thought the go pro 4K video writes at a constant speed of around 8Mb/s. So I'm wondering if paying the extra $$ is buying us anything? Especially if we format the card every time it's full, so there is no fragmentation.

Mike, I'm a bit surprised with your post. In the past, you've noted the fact that the Phantom 3 is limited to writing at a max of 7.5MB/s. As such, any class 10 (U1) card should work. A faster card normally also has a fast read speed as well which helps with transferring from the card, but not with writing to the card due to the hardware limit. I have also noted the same several times.

Why the change in advice to now say a 40MB/s write card is best?

Reactions: JoBe
Why the change in advice to now say a 40MB/s write card is best?
I have not changed my advice. If you've been following the products I suggest (like my recommended list of tablets or my recommended list of memory cards), you've probably noticed my recommendations don't always match DJI's recommendations. Instead, I recommend products that I know will well for Phantom owners. I would never recommend a product that I would not feel good about using myself.

It's true that the Phantom can only write a max of 7.5MB/s when recording video. Let's not forget that many people are also saving RAW photos to the same memory card. The average RAW photo is somewhere around 24MB. As you can imagine, it's going to take longer to save a photo if you're using a memory card that can only write at a maximum of 8MB/s. And, to add some icing to that cake, it's important to note that memory cards are not able to write at their maximum write speed the entire time.

Here's why I'm recommending (and have always recommended) people use memory cards that write at least at 40MB/s:
  • The memory card DJI ships with most Phantoms writes at 40MB/s. If they didn't think that higher write speed was beneficial, I'm thinking they would have opted to save a few bucks and ship the cheapest class 10 memory card they could find.
  • When transferring data to/from the memory card, it's nice to be able to get the job done in less time.
  • Memory cards that write at 40MB/s+ are not much more expensive than the cheapest class 10 memory cards.
  • People sometimes lose frames when recording 4K video with the cheapest class 10 memory cards.
  • People never have trouble when using the memory cards I recommend.

I've always been a SanDisk fan. They make good cards. That being said, they recently made it more troublesome and expensive for me to RMA a bad MicroSD than it was to just go buy a new one. So I bought a PNY, and it's blazing fast.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to steer anyone away from SanDisk. They make a good product.

They just pissed me off by making me jump through hoops to RMA a card that *retails* for about $18. Their cost? Oh, I dunno, about $3.50 if I had to guess. It just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I chose to spend my money elsewhere. So far, very pleased with the PNY.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to steer anyone away from SanDisk. They make a good product.

They just pissed me off by making me jump through hoops to RMA a card that *retails* for about $18. Their cost? Oh, I dunno, about $3.50 if I had to guess. It just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I chose to spend my money elsewhere. So far, very pleased with the PNY.

Understood. Sounds like PNY would be a good 2nd choice if needed. Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: mikesmiley

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj