2.4 Ghz conflicts

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I'm bored rain is keeping me in, no boating/no Drone.. Been doing some research on a message received quite often on my Phantom 4 Pro + RC, that is "Your mobile phone Wi-Fi is of 2.4Ghz, conflicting with remote controller. Disable Wi-Fi or change Transmission Settings". I do not receive this error when I'm flying from the baseball park.. So, off I go with some testing of local network possible conflicts. I shutdown my wireless (Comcast) Modem/Router, that is I unplugged it. Turned off all Cell Phones @3. No other devices with the radius of my home are on that are wireless or anywhere within this 2.4 frequency. Turned off the RC and the AC, powered them back up and same message. But why? Then it occurred to me, COMED Smart Grid/Smart Meter was completed in my neighborhood, which coincidently depends on and implements 2.4Ghz to communicate. I'm thinking that Smart Meter and the Smart Meter grid/network conflicts with our active connection between the RC and AC which can certainly cause an issue between wireless commands sent from the RC to the AC.. I've read much here this (wireless transmission issue) is occurring with little explanation.
I'm guessing that if our RC and AC flies with the smart grid wireless range, both using the same frequency, one is going to get priority for transmission. By the way, when I switch to 5.8Ghz, the frequency conflict is resolved and no longer receive this message. Also, ALL testing was performed inside my home.

Comments? Input?

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
Yeah, I was surprised when the gas meter guy told me the gas Smartmeter connects to a nearby 2.4 GHz cell tower as does the electric meter. He came to replace the battery in the gas meter, and the electric meter doesn't need one.

Could explain why these things fly wonky at times if it is interference with all the homes meters calling in. Don't know if flying close to a cell tower is wise or not if the Smartmeters are being polled for billing data. They seem to do it twice and maybe three times a day around here as the rates change depending on time of day and the system load. How much interference it caues is the question.

I was also surprised to see that channels in the 2.4 GHZ spectrum are not the same. DJI has a wide variance in their channel frequencies over some other 2.4 GHz transmitters I have. All are 2.4 GHz, but the channels do not correlate to same frequency between them all: i.e. Frequency could be channel 13 in one device, while exact same frequency on channel 20 in another one, with maybe some wide overlap too which DJI seems to be really loose on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel