100 Watt LED Spotlight!!!

Don't believe you can buy a new mercury switch , you'll have to find a old heating control and gut it .

Don't believe you can buy a new mercury switch , you'll have to find a old heating control and gut it .
That's where I got mine. An old A/C thermostat unit. P.S. I glued it because I wanted it to be angled so that it couldn't come on until the camera was pointed almost straight down. Even still if I jerk the controls fast I get a quick flash as the mercury splashes up on the contacts.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I may do that eventually then. I was trying to do something fast without cracking the case. I plan to add some ports and connections to the inside eventually. I may do it sooner rather than later.
Youdo not need crack the case simply attach an opt sensor in front of the light

Reactions: Reed L
LOOK MA, NO FANUPDATE REV 2
I made some changes to reduce weight and increase airflow over the power board and the LED. Photos show the light module off the drone so it can be seen better. More airflow, fan eliminated, lighter plastic from many holes drilled in it. The spring clips have been replaced with tension wire to hold the heat sink on with less metal protruding outward.
The short grey wire in the 4th photo connects to one side of the mercury switch and the other side goes to the + out connection at the power board. The 12 -36v converter is on and charged as soon as you connect the power leads to the battery. The light itself is what is switched on. The power drain of the voltage converter is nominal at rest, and the light itself draws far less current than the 12v input. (That is because it is at ~34v vs. the 12v input V/I formula.... look it up).

I have a US quarter for scale. You can see how my mount works with removable clips that screw on to hold it to the legs. The assy. actually sits level right on top that flat shelf edge at the top of the antenna covers of the legs. Note the clips have little down plastic at 90 degrees to keep things from rocking back and forth. I was lucky and found to right plastic bits from a scavenged HD drawer.

LOOK MA, NO FANS!! I figured constant high power prop wash was better than the tiny fan that went very slow when the light was on anyway. It actually blocked the more powerful prop wash air. I also inverted the power board so that air also now flows onto the power boards heat sinks to cool it better. I had to add longer board mounts. That is aided by the many air holes drilled in the plastic. It is thick so this helped reduce weight a few milligrams too I guess. The fan alone had some significant weight to it.

Last edited:
According to the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act, mercury is subject to specific packaging, shipping and transportation rules. Is putting a mercury switch on a drone "transporting" mercury? If so, you may have the FAA, Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Administration watching what you do.

I think I'm fine on the transporting Mercury thing.

Reactions: Reed L and Vasekp
As a retired gold miner, I've survived the mercury scandal that the greenies are throwing at everybody. We gathered pounds of it out of the rivers back when it was legal to clean the rivers here in California with our gold dredges.

Here's a great series that I put together about the Hydraulic mining and how mercury was used during the gold rush thru today. It also shows the find that we made that helped us retire. Pounds of mercury and pounds of gold were recovered just by my friends and I in this series.
Hydraulic Gold Mining, The Series - YouTube

Up to 130m. 93 gram.
Will try soon.
image.jpeg

What is 130m? Oh, I Googled it. That is 130 meters at 220 lumens. That would help with filming. I just wanted something crazy bright so that is why I added 9,000 lumens.

Just to try how it works to check our fence line at 50 meter height. First idea was to buy a Flir but that's too expencive for me (according to my wife...).

Reactions: JonEQuest
9000 lumens!!!!?? You think an led bulb setup from a car headlight will work? Great build by the way!

Vehicle bulbs will not work.

A typical halogen bulb is around 1,950 lumens @ 65w.

And an oem hid bulb is 3,150 lumens @35w. A 50w ballast can be had and bump you up to 4,500 lumens.

A ballast pulls a lot of power to fire up an hid bulb. Around 26k volts so the ballast is pulling a good surge of power to help supply that burst.

So add weight of ballast and projector.. Already over weight of what drone can carry. Then add battery, bracket, wire..

I meant the LED bulbs they have now instead of halogen or hid

Something like this?

Attachments

• 1463509803352.jpg
    1463509803352.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 271
Those aftermarket led bulbs are the biggest joke lol I feel bad for the idiots that buy that junk.

But those are cheap bulbs. Far better off using authentic Cree bulbs than China knockoffs

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20