10.4 KM flight, 5.2 KM each way. With video and flytrex data

Re: 10.4 KM flight, 5.2 KM each way. With video and flytrex

QYV said:
wow that's really impressive... I've been curious/nervous too myself about the distance possible with stock remote control. that's what you meant by "transmitter" right? So you went out past 5km with the plain jane out of the box remote control with the little white antenna?
that'll make me feel better about my short flights, although you had very clear LOS too that's a bonus.

Simple transmitter antenna mod will take you 6km and beyond......... ;)

Fanti said:
1. Turned around at 55%, landed with 3% :shock:

Impressive, even more considering you were flying over water. But, how can you even land with 3%? I mean, doesn't it auto-land with 15% of battery or so? Probably you removed the autolanding inside the Assistant Software?

Seriously, no mods on the antennas? I'm finding it hard to believe since I can only get about 2000 ft on my P2V+ I must be doing something wrong.

jdvmi00 said:
Seriously, no mods on the antennas? I'm finding it hard to believe since I can only get about 2000 ft on my P2V+ I must be doing something wrong.

we're talking about control only right? not FPV.
do you have perfect LOS? also going out over water means there's very little interference unlike an urban or even suburban environment

beautiful vid by the way OP

gasato said:
Fanti said:
1. Turned around at 55%, landed with 3% :shock:

Impressive, even more considering you were flying over water. But, how can you even land with 3%? I mean, doesn't it auto-land with 15% of battery or so? Probably you removed the autolanding inside the Assistant Software?

You increase throttle to keep altitude, once auto land initiates.

jdvmi00 said:

Don't mix the P2 with the P2 Vision. Two different control systems

QYV said:
jdvmi00 said:

we're talking about control only right? not FPV.
do you have perfect LOS? also going out over water means there's very little interference unlike an urban or even suburban environment

beautiful vid by the way OP

Talking about both control and FPV :D

Fanti said:
jdvmi00 said:

Don't mix the P2 with the P2 Vision. Two different control systems

ah yes I forgot about that. as I recall now DJI went to a 5.8ghz system for the remote control, I know that's on the P2V+ you're saying the P2V has that as well?

also I seem to remember from the documentation there's a change you have to make on the P2V to enable longer distances, I believe it's called "FCC Mode" ? I'll let P2V people take it from here I'm running a P2 so no direct experience with Vision models

Fanti said:
Thats the Phantom 2 Vision
Okay...so, is there a DJI range specification for the Phantom 2 non-Vision? I haven't seen one.

No accusations here but remember that telemetry distance is from the starting point and has nothing to do with the distance the Phantom is from the RC. So the real limiting distance factor for anybody doing a long distance run is the wind, speed, and the quad battery. I'll find out for sure as I plan to do some promotion filming while controlling the Phantom from a golf cart. My FPV receiver and RC probably won't ever be more then 50 feet from the quad but I'm sure my telemetry will tell me different.

I'd like to know what you guys are doing to get this type of distance. I've flown my Phantom 400m away, and at that distance even with perfect line of sight, I'm getting (very) choppy video. The kind that's just barely able to be visible enough to turn around and see the 'diamond' on the IOSD so I can fly home.

I've got the Immersion 600mw video transmitter, and a Bluebeam whip antenna on both the transmitter (onboard) and on the Black Pearl diversity receiver on the ground.

mysticalice said:
I'd like to know what you guys are doing to get this type of distance. I've flown my Phantom 400m away, and at that distance even with perfect line of sight, I'm getting (very) choppy video. The kind that's just barely able to be visible enough to turn around and see the 'diamond' on the IOSD so I can fly home.

I've got the Immersion 600mw video transmitter, and a Bluebeam whip antenna on both the transmitter (onboard) and on the Black Pearl diversity receiver on the ground.

I have the same setup, just with a patch antenna. Maybe try that.

Fanti said:
So that 10.4 km flight was not completely "stock"? You changed out the antenna?

Fanti said:
mysticalice said:

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction with this patch antenna? I did some looking up, but want to make sure I get the right thing

I found it - the FatShark Patch Antenna. Bought one.

I've heard good things about the Helical antennas too. Is it worth using them together on my controller? A helical on one side and a patch antenna on the other?

You would be better off using a CP antenna on the Phantom and a helical antenna on the receiver.

mysticalice said:

I've heard good things about the Helical antennas too. Is it worth using them together on my controller? A helical on one side and a patch antenna on the other?

Not really worth using a patch and a helical. Better to use a helical and a cloverleaf on the receiver. Helical for long rnage and cloverleaf for close range and flying above you.

mysticalice said:

I presume you meant Black Pearl receiver and not controller?

mysticalice said:

It has been mentioned on this forum many times that the IRC600tx is not compatible with "certain" Black Pearl monitor/receivers.
I had the same issue as you, so I now use an Immersion Duo receiver and feed the video from it to my Black Pearl monitor.

Bluegrass said:
No accusations here but remember that telemetry distance is from the starting point and has nothing to do with the distance the Phantom is from the RC. So the real limiting distance factor for anybody doing a long distance run is the wind, speed, and the quad battery. I'll find out for sure as I plan to do some promotion filming while controlling the Phantom from a golf cart. My FPV receiver and RC probably won't ever be more then 50 feet from the quad but I'm sure my telemetry will tell me different.

LOL, so are you hinting that he took off and then changed the location of his controller? That would have been difficult unless he used a boat to chase the Phantom ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.