1 mile

Bought my first p3p in 2015, still have it and a p3a and a p4p, well I have always been scared of seeing how far they can go, but I got the p3a to 1 mile today and still had good conection, just sharing cause I an excited
P3P and P3A will go over 2 miles if you have an unobstructed view between the drone and the remote controller.
Remember though, by law you are supposed to have Visual Line of Sight of your drone at all times. Just thought it is worth mentioning.

Just went out again with the p3p, only got 3100 feet, both times I had those metabolic reflectors on them, I live in a very populated area but I'm higher then we're in flying so I really don't see how wifi or anything else could effect me, so I really don't see how I can get any more range, the p3a came with the gl300 b controller and the p3p came with the gl300 c, as i found out here that the 300 b is a much better controller

Just went out again with the p3p, only got 3100 feet, both times I had those metabolic reflectors on them, I live in a very populated area but I'm higher then we're in flying so I really don't see how wifi or anything else could effect me, so I really don't see how I can get any more range, the p3a came with the gl300 b controller and the p3p came with the gl300 c, as i found out here that the 300 b is a much better controller

I get 10,000 feet (3000 metres) with my P3P and GL300A

Reactions: KachemakDiver
With my 57 year old eyes, I can't see my P4 when its further out than about 900 ft (I'm hoping that the strobes I just bought improve that). How are others of you justifying your flying such distances given the the VLOS stipulation? It sure seems to me that reports such as those above are a big part of why we're facing the Remote ID regs the FAA is about to impose....

No its not because the fliers it's because the US government wants more money plus the FAA can install remote IDs all they want but I for 1 will not use them and its 100% impossible for me to use them unless they build some sort of tower in the national forests and hundreds of miles of open desert. I highly doubt they will spend millions just to secure me in a zone where no wifi no cellular and it's been that way for hundreds of years. Plus I have social anxiety and behavioral problems I cant be around others so there little scare on rule changes means nothing unless they hold my hand everytime i go to the bathroom.

Once a rebel always a rebel ;)

Reactions: MTO and MaxE1955!
Bought my first p3p in 2015, still have it and a p3a and a p4p, well I have always been scared of seeing how far they can go, but I got the p3a to 1 mile today and still had good conection, just sharing cause I an excited
Here's a thread I posted a few years ago on this subject, but I was comparing P3P with GL300A to the P4 GL300C. I've concluded the GL300C is the weakest lightbridge RC DJI has produced. To get over a mile with P4 you had to upgrade the antenna, or simply buy an Inspire controller GL658A which has good output for control signal, which I did, and still have. That craft is for sale now.

With the P3P, the first signal to disconnect during flight is the video signal, which was usually 2 to 3mi away (using windsurfer) with LOS connection. I was always impressed with that range, always running out of battery at those distances (I have good eyes). But when I lost video, if I had LOS connection, I still had control of the craft, blindly. So I would simply ascend a couple hundred feet and my video would usually come back. That was the indicator I have reached my max distance.

There are some settings in the P3P that can increase range. One was to enable channels 30 and 31, which is what I would always fly. I forget how to enable it, but I'm sure you can find that info in this forum with a search. The other setting I remember is the setting for "Transmission Quality". If you turn that down to 4mbps instead of using 10mbps, using the custom channel option, you can get more range, because the craft has less video data to transmit to the controller.

The P4 it was a different disconnect sequence, a disappointing one. The craft would always lose the control and video signal together, not just video. So it would go directly into RTH, due to control signal loss. This would happen at 1 mile usually (with windsurfer), which was very disappointing range. The interesting part is when control sign is lost, the video also goes out simultaneously, unlike the P3P. RTH's always made me nervous, hoping it would come home, 3min of anxiety! I really hated that occurring all the time, when with my P3P I never had an auto RTH occur when I lose video signal at 2 miles, I could still ascend to reconnect and stay in control. The best solution found to improve P4 range was using the Inspire GL658A controller, which had much better output, as measured in the above thread. With the Inspire controller, the P4 turned into the same experience as the P3P, similar range and disconnect sequence.

The P4P is a great craft. With 5.8ghz it will do 3 miles or more (with windsurfer). Using 2.4 is anemic like the P4. If it wasn't for the 5.8Ghz option in P4P, I would have sold that craft by now, but because of the 5.8Ghz, and the ability to modify flight parameters using 1.3.509 firmware, I have two of them.

Last edited:
Found it we got GL300A so far we have taken the P3P out to 5,500 feet with full bars now that I've seen this discussion I will be pushing mine 10,000 feet plus to see how the GL300A does compared to what others say.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Ya, I’ve gone over 10,000 feet with every P3P I’ve owned, also using a gl300a. With a gl300c I can get on average 7000-8000 feet. Without parabolic extenders.
Since you must maintain visual sight of your drone, do you fly with a telescope?

Since you must maintain visual sight of your drone, do you fly with a telescope?
Let's be realistic whether you have 3 or 4 spotters stretched out 1-2 miles or you use a telescope or binoculars some of us are just blessed with great areas where we dont need to maintain VLOS I do agree with the rules of VLOS for anywhere there is people or animals. To avoid harm but some of us me being one live in absolute desert country I have hundreds of miles of nothing but trees and dirt the only thing I risk is my machine my money and hitting the dirt. Plus in 2012 when the Dji F550 was released it had the Naza M gps module you can fly that thing for miles and it had no video unless you did gimbal FPV expensive in 2012 anyways. I have one and the only way to get telemetry is taking your laptop with you and buying DJI groundstation for 120$ and I can tell how far or fast it's going that lemme say the flamewheel is 2 feet by 2 feet quite big and weighing in at 6lbs it's a flying death machine and they are widely known for malfunctioning and falling from the sky lmao oh my rambling I meant to say in 2012 there was the term (BVS) which is beyond visual sight. Mind you this was before any rules were made 2015 to 2016 so yeah. Some of us are blessed with being able to test the machines to the full capabilities. Others may not but we should all gather the knowledge of what drones can really do :) I smoke joints and watch youtube videos of range tests and altitude tests that arent legal but hey they look amazing and wow what technology can do :)

I was doing that when I was younger and dumber a couple years back.
Since I am more knowledgeable now, I no longer do it. I have more fun flying now because I can see my maneuvering, and not worrying about anything going wrong and loosing my bird.

Reactions: DroneB
Found it we got GL300A so far we have taken the P3P out to 5,500 feet with full bars now that I've seen this discussion I will be pushing mine 10,000 feet plus to see how the GL300A does compared to what others say.

You'll need uninterrupted line between you and the bird.
I fly mine from my upstairs balcony.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj