1 mile

I usually find a nice hilltop about 100 feet high on the desert then I have a good stretch of sand to fly. Also some good dunes where I am. should be able to achieve 11,000 that's what I'm setting a goal at I'll keep everyone updated.

With my 57 year old eyes, I can't see my P4 when its further out than about 900 ft (I'm hoping that the strobes I just bought improve that). How are others of you justifying your flying such distances given the the VLOS stipulation? It sure seems to me that reports such as those above are a big part of why we're facing the Remote ID regs the FAA is about to impose....
Phil I’ve had my p4a out to 1600 ft. I could still see it(barely) it was a butt clincher. I can’t see ever going any further than that.

In town around my house I never go further than 1000 to 1200 feet just to avoid the noise bothering people oh and my drone is a dog alarm it gets everyone's dog barking. Lol you should hear it at 6pm when both my dad and I are flying it's like an orchestra of pets.

My dad 67 so on clear days at 2000 feet hes like where am I so I spot him then hes out 4500 feet he cant see but i can at 27 and the right background I can see his drone for atleast 2miles but I'm young ;)

I was doing that when I was younger and dumber a couple years back.
Since I am more knowledgeable now, I no longer do it. I have more fun flying now because I can see my maneuvering, and not worrying about anything going wrong and loosing my bird.
That's the same fear I always have. Can't enjoy sending my $5,000 machine to wave at the space station when my knees are knocking like a '56 Chevy on bad gas and holding my breath so long I turn blue.

Reactions: DenMac
I was out to over 6000' when I finally realized it, flying along the coast of Pt Judith in RI. Signal showed no sign of loss and I could have kept going, but the realization that if anything went wrong, I'd be hiking a long distance caused me to bring it back.

Perhaps some jealousy is in place some of us have areas where flying like this is perfectly allowed and legal you do realize the human eye can see 3 miles I dont have to do the math but I will just in case 3 miles is equal to 15840 feet not to mention you can use binoculars and telescopes to keep visual line of sight. So your comment kinda made you look not so bright. If you cant see further than a mile or two then it's a personal problem.
Perhaps the name of this thread should be "Braggarts and Law Breakers."

Jealousy... No. Abides by the law and common sense... Yes. Better brush up on FAA regs and verify all your claims. Then we'll see who looks "not so bright." The FAA has started monitoring other blog sites. It's only a matter of time before they come here and deal with the self-confessors.

Reactions: MTO
Yeah because the FAA can regulate the entire world? Not sure if you realize but this is a forum on the world wide web. What is the FAA gonna do to people in the UK or russia or Australia. I see there is no common sense. Again not so bright. But when the FAA regulates the entire earth let me know good luck dude.
Jealousy... No. Abides by the law and common sense... Yes. Better brush up on FAA regs and verify all your claims. Then we'll see who looks "not so bright." The FAA has started monitoring other blog sites. It's only a matter of time before they come here and deal with the self-confessors.

I fully understand that not all members are from the US. Most countries have “common sense” drone laws. Those posting on this thread are all from the US except one from Australia where the laws about VLOS and altitude are the same as the US; ie, common sense laws. Are you claiming the laws don’t apply to you when you say “some of us have areas where flying like this is perfectly allowed and legal?” Last I heard, Central Oregon airspace is regulated by the FAA and subject to VLOS, same as the rest of the country. Better check the studies on how far the average person with unaided eye and 20/20 vision can see a Phantom type drone; it’s maximum 2,200 ft in the daytime or 6,000 ft. at night with a strobe. Your claim of 15,840 ft. is laughable. Therein, back to the Braggarts and Law Breakers label. Bragging about breaking the law and doing stupid stuff is why there are more and more FAA regs coming at us. You do no one any favors with your brags and lack of knowledge about the law.

Reactions: MTO
Everything you said is total opinionated you think every has the same eye sight?? I know how far I can see my drone how can you sit on the other end of a computer spouting unfactual stuff and say everyone can only see these distances wow you really arent smart. I'm just wasting my time arguing your opinions. Pretty sure I have read the rules and know how to fly legally but you keep trying to insist people that we are not you are not fooling anyone except yourself. Now good day
I fully understand that not all members are from the US. Most countries have “common sense” drone laws. Those posting on this thread are all from the US except one from Australia where the laws about VLOS and altitude are the same as the US; ie, common sense laws. Are you claiming the laws don’t apply to you when you say “some of us have areas where flying like this is perfectly allowed and legal?” Last I heard, Central Oregon airspace is regulated by the FAA and subject to VLOS, same as the rest of the country. Better check the studies on how far the average person with unaided eye and 20/20 vision can see a Phantom type drone; it’s maximum 2,200 ft in the daytime or 6,000 ft. at night with a strobe. Your claim of 15,840 ft. is laughable. Therein, back to the Braggarts and Law Breakers label. Bragging about breaking the law and doing stupid stuff is why there are more and more FAA regs coming at us. You do no one any favors with your brags and lack of knowledge about the law.

Now good day
You have a good 2 weeks.
Guys don’t let a member get you worked up where it comes
to all this. Just ignore members that continue with such.

Reactions: dronesky
Bought my first p3p in 2015, still have it and a p3a and a p4p, well I have always been scared of seeing how far they can go, but I got the p3a to 1 mile today and still had good conection, just sharing cause I an excited
I can’t believe that you check the range after five years. When I bought my p3p when it released back in 2015 I took it out of the box and send it 6 KM max range and back , I land it with 8% battery, but it was with the first firmware after that with every Firmware upgrade the range was shorter ,with each firmware upgrade they reduced the rf power output of the craft and the remote.

I can’t believe that you check the range after five years. When I bought my p3p when it released back in 2015 I took it out of the box and send it 6 KM max range and back , I land it with 8% battery, but it was with the first firmware after that with every Firmware upgrade the range was shorter ,with each firmware upgrade they reduced the rf power output of the craft and the remote.

Just one more reason not to update.
I haven't updated in years.
Use Litchi these days.
More features than GO

Reactions: gppms

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member