Zoom lens for p3 ?

Reaction score
Any telephoto lens adapters that would increase the optical zoom a small amount. I'm currently filming off road events and it would be nice to fly at 20' but have a zoom so it is getting the shot that looks like your at 10' Even a small amount would help as it is hazardous flying at 10' on a off road course where the terrain constantly changes underneath the P3. a small amount of zoom would greatly increase the safety margin. I do not want to try any digital zoom in post. And yes I'm a beginner in video production. I have seen telephoto ad ons for iphones, not sure why they couldn't adapt or produce one for the P3.

No there are none, it would probably be too much weight on the front of the camera anyway. There are limitations to the phantoms usage.

Lol, yeah the press would have a field day with that!

Seriously though, it would be a nice bit of kit to have for many "out of town" situations.

Wasn't looking to zoom in on the beach... just film off road bikes without having to fly 10' off the ground to get some good close up footage. I wouldn't think it would be much heavier than a Filter, but in hindsight I guess it would put too much stress on the gimbal assembly. I wouldn't think 1oz weight would be too much though.

Agree. P3P is equiv. 20mm wide but sometimes I need 50-85mm. But if telephoto lens, I'll be too busy to operate.
So I chosen 4K P3P for shooting 2K (1080p) footage - can zoom up at post production up to 200% (eqiv. 40mm) without reduce the resolution. TIPS - not only trimming, also apply perspective correction when zoom into outbound part.
But 4K is beautiful... recently I need "zoom in without lower resolution" to 4K... 8K camera needed. ;)

Wasn't looking to zoom in on the beach... just film off road bikes without having to fly 10' off the ground to get some good close up footage. I wouldn't think it would be much heavier than a Filter, but in hindsight I guess it would put too much stress on the gimbal assembly. I wouldn't think 1oz weight would be too much though.

It's not so much about the weight per se, and more about changing the camera's CG.
This can cause problems with the gimbal system.

The only way a telephoto would work on the P3 is if the lens was permanently pointed straight down. In other words, your P3 wouldn't be able to get it up.

Reactions: FLRebel
The only way a telephoto would work on the P3 is if the lens was permanently pointed straight down. In other words, your P3 wouldn't be able to get it up.
I know some people like that! :)

Do A Youtube search for " The DJI Phantom 3 Flight You HAVEN'T Seen "
CrazyHeliDude Did it and has Video of it. I'd Love to see a picture of his setup!! He Says you have to balance the gimble.

what about a modified filter. just replacing the normal glass in it with a piece of glass that have zoom. wouldnt that work

Reactions: aka1ceman
The guy with r/c is zoom, this is close "O" this is far away "•" & this is when you go far out " "

Digital zoom (post cropping) editing is best. Record in 4K and crop back to 1080p.
To assist, use an A4 transparent overhead projector sheet and create a mask or box that is roughly 1/4 of your smartphone/device and then centre the mask. This will help with cropping and getting the subject matter in your footage. The mask will speed up cropping as you don't need to tell the editing software where to crop frame by frame.

DJI should have created a 1080p mask on the GO app (similar to the grid and diagonal lines) or have on-the-fly enabled 4K crop at 1080p mode.

Reactions: R2-D2

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic