Zenmuse H4-3D and hero 3+

Reaction score
Here’s the skinny...
I bought a used (barely used) Phantom 2 zenmuse h4-3d edition and i wanted to use my hero 3+ On it. I know the 3 is lighter than the 4 but i can add weight no problem... here is my trouble.

I have it all mounted and i can record video while flying as long as i dont plug the usb connction to the hero in. If i plug the cable in from the gimble, the camera shows a usb connection and there is no way to get it to start recording.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Shawm

Well, you shouldn't any problems using your GP 3+ on that gimbal. Since you cannot turn the camera on after plugging in the USB cable check to see what firmware is on the GP 3+.and if ti's v3.0 you'll need to rollback to v2.0 as v3 is blocking the video output from the USC connection. Here's a link to the v2 firmware: Drivers filed under: GoPro HERO3+ Camera Firmware. You will need to follow GP firmware upload procedure, which you will find on their site, to the letter for it to work.

You would need an FPV system such as 5.8GHz video transmitter, iOSD, and monitor/receiver to view whatever the camera filming. You also cannot use the camera's wifi with a smartphone app for viewing as both wifi and P2 operate on the same frequency of 2.4GHz and would interfere with one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunVee
That is all fabulous information and worked flawlessly to get the camera to stay on when plugged in.
Now that I read the whole message though, I think the original way I was doing it is almost the same end result as I don't have an FPV system.
What I was doing before was turning the camera to record mode with the cable disconnected and then go fly and edit out all the beginning and end shots before the phantom is flying. The only thing different now is that I can have the usb connection hooked up while flying.
I guess I could upgrade my h3+ back to current and then just fly with that cable disconnected.... Unless that would cause issues with the gimble or the phantom.

Do you know if that connection is required for either?

Thanks again for the help!
Shawn

That is all fabulous information and worked flawlessly to get the camera to stay on when plugged in.
Now that I read the whole message though, I think the original way I was doing it is almost the same end result as I don't have an FPV system.
What I was doing before was turning the camera to record mode with the cable disconnected and then go fly and edit out all the beginning and end shots before the phantom is flying. The only thing different now is that I can have the usb connection hooked up while flying.
I guess I could upgrade my h3+ back to current and then just fly with that cable disconnected.... Unless that would cause issues with the gimble or the phantom.

Do you know if that connection is required for either?

Thanks again for the help!
Shawn

No, it's not required but there really wasn't anything in the GP 3+ v3 firmware that was worth having that wasn't in v2. If you decide later to buy the equipment for FPV system you will want the camera to have V2 so you see what is being taped. I own the GP 3+ silver, black and 4 black and it's nice to see what I am filming. Even though I use FPV from takeoff to landing there is no way to turn the camera on once in the air so editing is required to remove unwanted footage. Here's a clip I took a few years back and without an FPV system this wouldn't have been possible.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the information... if I end up getting an fpv setup to add on, i will roll it back again to v2. I went back to 3.2 for now and taped the connector to the back of the gimbal so it doesnt rattle.

Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.